A8N-SLI SATA locking? Anyone with knowledge of this?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Lon Leader, Dec 4, 2005.

  1. Lon Leader

    Lon Leader Guest

    I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
    running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
    SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
    system.)

    What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
    are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
    two?)?

    I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
    nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
    connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.

    So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
    connector 3?

    -=( Lon )=-

    Lon Leader, Dec 4, 2005

  2. Lon Leader

    CoCo Guest

    Lon Leader skrev:
    > I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
    > running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
    > SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
    > system.)
    >
    > What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
    > are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
    > two?)?
    >
    > I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
    > nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
    > connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.
    >
    > So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
    > connector 3?
    >
    > -=( Lon )=-

    hi

    yes do that! (-> sil3114, disable nf4-sata)

    coco

    CoCo, Dec 4, 2005

  3. Lon Leader

    Razor Guest

    "Lon Leader" <> wrote in message
    >I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
    > running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
    > SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
    > system.)
    >
    > What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
    > are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
    > two?)?
    >
    > I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
    > nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
    > connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.
    >
    > So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
    > connector 3?
    >
    > -=( Lon )=-

    I think it's locked,cause with my previous board (MSI K8N Neo2-NF3 ultra)i
    had to move the drives to sata ports 3 and 4.In 1 and 2 the board couldn't
    get above 225FSB.
    Anyway is there a tool to report sata speeds?What is the normal speed for
    sata,same as PCI(33.33MHz)?

    Razor, Dec 4, 2005
  4. Lon Leader

    Razor Guest

    > hi
    >
    > yes do that! (-> sil3114, disable nf4-sata)
    >
    > coco

    Well, he can't do that.It's an A8N-SLI with no additional Sata controller as
    in deluxe-premium boards.

    Razor, Dec 4, 2005
  5. Lon Leader

    CoCo Guest

    Razor skrev:
    >>hi
    >>
    >>yes do that! (-> sil3114, disable nf4-sata)
    >>
    >>coco

    > Well, he can't do that.It's an A8N-SLI with no additional Sata controller as
    > in deluxe-premium boards.

    ops...

    (one reason to buy multi-satachip mb only)

    CoCo, Dec 4, 2005
  6. Lon Leader

    CoCo Guest

    Razor skrev:
    > "Lon Leader" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
    >>running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
    >>SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
    >>system.)
    >>
    >>What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
    >>are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
    >>two?)?
    >>
    >>I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
    >>nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
    >>connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.
    >>
    >>So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
    >>connector 3?
    >>
    >>-=( Lon )=-

    > I think it's locked,cause with my previous board (MSI K8N Neo2-NF3 ultra)i
    > had to move the drives to sata ports 3 and 4.In 1 and 2 the board couldn't
    > get above 225FSB.
    > Anyway is there a tool to report sata speeds?What is the normal speed for
    > sata,same as PCI(33.33MHz)?

    hi

    asus >>Adjustable FSB/DDR ratio. Fixed PCIe/PCI/SATA frequencies.

    CoCo, Dec 4, 2005
  7. Lon Leader

    John Lewis Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 04:46:21 -0500, Lon Leader <>
    wrote:

    >I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
    >running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
    >SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
    >system.)
    >
    >What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
    >are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
    >two?)?
    >
    >I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
    >nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
    >connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.
    >
    >So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
    >connector 3?
    >
    >-=( Lon )=-

    It's not. ( Otherwise it would not work AT ALL, particularly @ 20%
    overclock !! )

    FYI, if you intend to overclock on a permanent basis, confirm your
    20% overclock stability by running 2 simultaneous instances of Prime
    95 one set to Affinity 0, the other Affinity 1 and run the 3 default
    Torture-test modes for at least 8 hours each. (Verify 100% CPU
    are acceptable, otherwise you will eventually have 'unexplained'
    flakiness and maybe the loss of vital data.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Dec 4, 2005
  8. Lon Leader

    Lon Leader Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:14:41 GMT, (John Lewis)
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 04:46:21 -0500, Lon Leader <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
    >>running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
    >>SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
    >>system.)
    >>
    >>What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
    >>are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
    >>two?)?
    >>
    >>I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
    >>nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
    >>connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.
    >>
    >>So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
    >>connector 3?
    >>
    >>-=( Lon )=-

    >It's not. ( Otherwise it would not work AT ALL, particularly @ 20%
    >overclock !! )
    >
    >FYI, if you intend to overclock on a permanent basis, confirm your
    >20% overclock stability by running 2 simultaneous instances of Prime
    >95 one set to Affinity 0, the other Affinity 1 and run the 3 default
    >Torture-test modes for at least 8 hours each. (Verify 100% CPU
    >are acceptable, otherwise you will eventually have 'unexplained'
    >flakiness and maybe the loss of vital data.
    >
    >John Lewis

    Hi John. I have run 2 copies of Prime95, the second started with the
    -A1 parameter, but only for approx. 1/2 hour. I will try running the
    three tests for 8 hours each as you suggest. The first two tests do
    indicate 100% cpu usage in task manager, but the individual graphs for
    each core also show 100% usage on both (not the 50% each you
    mentioned).

    I had to set the vCore to 1.40v. I have the Hyper Transport divider
    set to 4 (with the 20% oc = 960) and the memory set to 333 (the 20% oc
    brings it back to 400). I'm not out to set overclocking records - I
    just like the thought of having a X2 4600+ for the price of a X2 3800+
    (in Canada, $800 vs $400).

    -=( Lon )=-

    Lon Leader, Dec 5, 2005
  9. Lon Leader

    John Lewis Guest

    On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 20:18:40 -0500, Lon Leader <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 18:14:41 GMT, (John Lewis)
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 04 Dec 2005 04:46:21 -0500, Lon Leader <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have an A8N-SLI (non-deluxe, non-premium, if it matters) and I am
    >>>running an X2 3800+ with a 20% overclock. I recently added a single
    >>>SATA drive, currently on connector #1. (I have other IDE drives on the
    >>>system.)
    >>>
    >>>What I would like to know is if, on the A8N-SLI, all the SATA ports
    >>>are speed locked, or just two of the four (and if only two, which
    >>>two?)?
    >>>
    >>>I am concerned because I have read that some motherboards (but with
    >>>nForce3 chipsets, from what little I have learned) do not lock
    >>>connectors 1 and 2, but do lock 3 and 4.
    >>>
    >>>So, is my new SATA drive running overclocked? Should I move it to
    >>>connector 3?
    >>>
    >>>-=( Lon )=-

    >>It's not. ( Otherwise it would not work AT ALL, particularly @ 20%
    >>overclock !! )
    >>
    >>FYI, if you intend to overclock on a permanent basis, confirm your
    >>20% overclock stability by running 2 simultaneous instances of Prime
    >>95 one set to Affinity 0, the other Affinity 1 and run the 3 default
    >>Torture-test modes for at least 8 hours each. (Verify 100% CPU
    >>are acceptable, otherwise you will eventually have 'unexplained'
    >>flakiness and maybe the loss of vital data.
    >>
    >>John Lewis

    >Hi John. I have run 2 copies of Prime95, the second started with the
    >-A1 parameter, but only for approx. 1/2 hour. I will try running the
    >three tests for 8 hours each as you suggest. The first two tests do
    >indicate 100% cpu usage in task manager, but the individual graphs for
    >each core also show 100% usage on both (not the 50% each you
    >mentioned).

    Depends how you display it. You are executing correctly.

    >I had to set the vCore to 1.40v. I have the Hyper Transport divider
    >set to 4 (with the 20% oc = 960) and the memory set to 333 (the 20% oc
    >brings it back to 400). I'm not out to set overclocking records - I
    >just like the thought of having a X2 4600+ for the price of a X2 3800+
    >(in Canada, $800 vs $400).

    Seems fine to me. Your settings look correct. I have a 4400+ running
    at ~ 20% overclock ( ~ 2.65GHz ) and require 1.5V on that particular
    one to get to 20% o/c stable. At 1.4 volts I can get to 2.5 GHz
    stable. BTW, there is a sweet spot for core voltage -- too high
    rapidly raises the power dissipation/internal heat, slowing the
    silicon, besides undesirable long-term heat and voltage stress.
    Anyway, check for the 8 hours per test. Especially Torture test #2
    ( max heat etc ).

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Dec 5, 2005