    second power supply (450watts), but still nothing but that LED.

    Any suggestions, or does this sound like a dead MB?

    DY
    dunner, Jan 25, 2006

  2. dunner

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, dunner
    <> wrote:

    > This board powered up the first time, got into bios and set to boot from
    > USB device. Now i get nothing except the green MB power light. Tried
    > second power supply (450watts), but still nothing but that LED.
    >
    > Any suggestions, or does this sound like a dead MB?
    >
    > DY

    There are reviews here, but nothing about your POST problem.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E16813131570

    The vip.asus.com forums is a good source of info. This post suggests
    C.P.R. is not working properly on the board - maybe some day a new
    BIOS would fix it. Reading the Asus forums can also give you a good
    idea as to whether a given board would be a good buy.

    http://vip.asus.com/forum/bbs_view....nguage=en-us&topic_page=1&page_cnt=2&recc=104

    I would recommend:

    1) Unplug computer. You don't want any +5VSB inside the computer.
    2) Follow section 1.9 of the manual, for the "CLRTC" jumper procedure.
    This will clear the CMOS. And presumably fix the fail to POST.

    What is surprising about the procedure for this board, is they
    actually suggest removing the battery as part of the procedure.
    I was going to add this to my suggestions, but it is already
    a standard part of clearing CMOS on this board. Pretty
    dumb to be _forced_ to do that, especially if C.P.R (CPU Parameter
    Recall - recovery from overclock function) is not working.
    As I like to play with hardware when I first get it, I'd
    have to keep that battery on the end of a yoyo string :)

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 25, 2006

  3. In article <nospam-2501060412040001@192.168.1.178>,
    (Paul) wrote:

    > *From:* (Paul)
    > *Date:* Wed, 25 Jan 2006 09:13:38 GMT
    >
    > In article <>, dunner
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > This board powered up the first time, got into bios and set to boot
    > > from
    > > USB device. Now i get nothing except the green MB power light.
    > > Tried
    > > second power supply (450watts), but still nothing but that LED.
    > >
    > > Any suggestions, or does this sound like a dead MB?
    > >
    > > DY

    > There are reviews here, but nothing about your POST problem.
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/CustratingReview.asp?item=N82E1681313157
    > 0
    >
    > The vip.asus.com forums is a good source of info. This post suggests
    > C.P.R. is not working properly on the board - maybe some day a new
    > BIOS would fix it. Reading the Asus forums can also give you a good
    > idea as to whether a given board would be a good buy.
    >
    > http://vip.asus.com/forum/bbs_view.aspx?board_id=1&model_name=A8N-VM C
    > SM&message_id=20060101044153937&filter=3&page_size=100&elite=0&SLangua
    > ge=en-us&topic_page=1&page_cnt=2&recc=104
    >
    > I would recommend:
    >
    > 1) Unplug computer. You don't want any +5VSB inside the computer.
    > 2) Follow section 1.9 of the manual, for the "CLRTC" jumper procedure.
    > This will clear the CMOS. And presumably fix the fail to POST.
    >
    > What is surprising about the procedure for this board, is they
    > actually suggest removing the battery as part of the procedure.
    > I was going to add this to my suggestions, but it is already
    > a standard part of clearing CMOS on this board. Pretty
    > dumb to be _forced_ to do that, especially if C.P.R (CPU Parameter
    > Recall - recovery from overclock function) is not working.
    > As I like to play with hardware when I first get it, I'd
    > have to keep that battery on the end of a yoyo string :)
    >
    > Paul

    Interesting comments. I bought on of these boards last week to upgrade
    my #2 PC from an A7V333. On first boot got "BIOS checksum bad", and it
    failed to update via afudos and also I noted the battery removal
    instruction when clearing the BIOS. Its a nuisance in a cramped case cf
    a quick jumper change or short out two contacts. (Replacement board
    hopefully this week).

    John

    Please remove "NOSPAM" if sending email.
    John Hollingsworth, Jan 25, 2006