    AB60R with a 2.0G Celeron, 512mb RAM, a 120GB WD Caviar IDE drive and an
    FX5200 video card for a $250 Mandrivia Linux box.

    Any comments?
    Travis Jordan, May 2, 2005

  2. Travis Jordan wrote:
    > Any comments?

    FWIW, I ordered the board and built up the system. Mandrivia 10.2
    correctly identified all the hardware, and the total install including
    all the applications took about 23 minutes. More than three times as
    fast and easier by far than any Windoze installation I've done (and I've
    done plenty).
    Travis Jordan, May 6, 2005

  3. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    I got the same board. It was easy to install but I do not have any
    sound at all.
    Ive updated everything iuncluding the Bios. Im running winxp 2
    Did you have to set jumpers or something to get the sound to work.
    Its weird.
    Mandrivia 10.2 what exactly is that?
    any help would be greatly appreciated
    Headstomp, May 12, 2005
  4. Headstomp wrote:
    > I got the same board. It was easy to install but I do not have any
    > sound at all.
    > Ive updated everything iuncluding the Bios. Im running winxp 2
    > Did you have to set jumpers or something to get the sound to work.
    > Its weird.
    > Mandrivia 10.2 what exactly is that?

    FWIW, my sound is OK. The ALC650 is a long-lived and well respected
    sound chip. Most likely it is a driver problem. Do you see anything
    weird in Device Manager? You can always get the OEM drivers off the
    Realtek site at
    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

    Mandrivia 10.2 is a Linux release.
    Travis Jordan, May 12, 2005
  5. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    Nothing weird in the device manager at all.(no yellow exclamation
    pionts) When I play an audio file it would play in my winmedia player,
    but no sound at all. I check properties made sure the default settings
    where check showing the proper audio device is showing. Even switch
    speakers. I also put in a SBlive card and no sound at all and that uses
    a different codec altogether right? I thought it was a codec problem as
    well and dled the latest audio codec from shuttle. (which was dated
    back in 03 btw)

    I will try the OEM when I get home.

    Thanks again. I thought I had to adjust a jumper or something. (see
    page 38 of the manual) Im sure the 05 codec should do the trick. I hope
    Headstomp, May 12, 2005
  6. Headstomp wrote:
    > Nothing weird in the device manager at all.(no yellow exclamation
    > pionts) When I play an audio file it would play in my winmedia player,
    > but no sound at all. I check properties made sure the default settings
    > where check showing the proper audio device is showing. Even switch
    > speakers. I also put in a SBlive card and no sound at all and that
    > uses a different codec altogether right? I thought it was a codec
    > problem as well and dled the latest audio codec from shuttle. (which
    > was dated back in 03 btw)

    The only setting I'm aware of is in the BIOS (enable onboard audio or
    some such). The fact that a separate sound card doesn't work either
    makes me think it is either a bad amplified speaker or a Windows codec
    problem as you describe. The OEM driver is for the Realtek chip only.
    It is not a codec.

    Do you have a CD-ROM drive in your system, and is it connected with an
    analog cable to the motherboard? If so, does that work?
    Travis Jordan, May 12, 2005
  7. Travis Jordan wrote:
    > Do you have a CD-ROM drive in your system, and is it connected with an
    > analog cable to the motherboard? If so, does that work?

    Also, in the XP Sounds control panel do you get any sound when you
    select a Windows sound scheme and then play one of the Windows sounds?
    Travis Jordan, May 12, 2005
  8. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Nope nothing at all when i try the cdrom and the Windows sound.

    I thought the speaker might be bad but i unplugged the speakers and
    plugged it into my mp3 player and the speakers worked fine.

    Very weird becuase a seperate audio card sound should have worked.

    Everything shows that the sound is playing its just nothing coming out.
    I dont even hear anything when the windows logo start up. Ill trouble
    shoot alittle longer.

    Im also getting a weird boot up error.
    I get an onboard error or keyboard not present error during post boot
    screen
    I have to unplugge my keyboard than restart it up because everything
    froze up
    other than that everything is fine.
    I think my keyboard maybe uncompatible or something even though it is a
    P/S2 keyboard
    Ive updated the bios using the update from shuttle but now i wonder if
    there is even a more updated version that the 03 year one

    Thank again for your help and insight Im sure Ill get everything up and
    working soon
    Headstomp, May 12, 2005
  9. Headstomp wrote:
    > Thank again for your help and insight Im sure Ill get everything up
    > and working soon

    You might want to be sure to disable the onboard sound in the BIOS and
    try the separate sound card again.

    Anyway, when you figure it out let us know what the problem turns out to
    be.
    Travis Jordan, May 12, 2005
  10. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Nothing at all with the new audio codecs

    I am going to switch back to sblive now
    btw i have the ATI 9200se graphics card
    could that be a problem?
    i cant even get to www.ati.com for some reason to check for updates
    im beginning to think its a compatiblity issue with the card
    Headstomp, May 13, 2005
  11. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Just switch to my sblive and nothing again
    i disable the onboard audio also
    and winxp detected it with no problems
    but nothing
    there must be a jumper setting or something or am i missing a cord or
    something???
    Headstomp, May 13, 2005
  12. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    i ran that everest program and copied this section from the audio
    portion.

    [ Creative SB Live! Value (CT4670) Sound Card ]

    Device Properties:
    Device Description Creative SB
    Live! Value (CT4670) Sound Card
    Bus Type PCI
    Bus / Device / Function 3 / 6 / 0
    Device ID 1102-0002
    Subsystem ID 1102-0020
    Device Class 0401 (Audio
    Device)
    Revision 04
    Fast Back-to-Back Transactions Supported,
    Disabled

    Is the Fast Back-to-Back Transactions is showing disabled and what
    could I do.
    Headstomp, May 13, 2005
  13. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Wait a minute
    did u have a Center Base piece in your box????
    I dont
    Did you connect that? Could that perhaps be it??????
    Headstomp, May 13, 2005
  14. Headstomp wrote:
    > did u have a Center Base piece in your box????
    > Did you connect that? Could that perhaps be it??????

    Nope. Just using the regular audio out connection (the blue jack).
    Travis Jordan, May 13, 2005
  15. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    i dont think thats it either
    i dont get it at all
    since the board is only $25 i might just get another one
    Headstomp, May 13, 2005
  16. Headstomp wrote:
    > Is the Fast Back-to-Back Transactions is showing disabled and what
    > could I do.

    When the FBB enable bit is set, the PCI bus interface is allowed to
    generate fast back-to-back transactions to different agents as described
    in PCI Specification 2.2. This isn't the source of your problem.
    Travis Jordan, May 13, 2005
  17. Headstomp wrote:
    > since the board is only $25 i might just get another one

    I don't think it is the board's problem.

    Did you try the driver that came with your SBLive card?
    Travis Jordan, May 13, 2005
  18. Headstomp wrote:
    > I thought the speaker might be bad but i unplugged the speakers and
    > plugged it into my mp3 player and the speakers worked fine.

    These are amplifed speakers, right?
    Travis Jordan, May 13, 2005
  19. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Yes i installed the sblive drivers

    Its as if everything is muted. Ive used several different speakers and
    nothing at all

    For some reason i thought it could be the board my a jumper not set
    right or something
    everything indicated it should be playing

    I wonder if theres some sort of conflict with the graphics card I have
    the ATI 9200SE
    Looking through the read me text of the realtek updates it appears that
    there were some problems with ATI cards. I will put in my old viper
    card and see if that fixes it.
    Headstomp, May 13, 2005
  20. Travis Jordan

    Headstomp Guest

    Could the onboard audio chip be damage????
    Headstomp, May 13, 2005