    Thanks,
    Sard

    p.s. Richh, does your B06R bios address this issue?
    Sard, Jul 14, 2007

  2. "Sard" <> wrote in message...
    > Hi, I'm trying to find out if there's a workaround for the lack of
    > SATA optial drive support on this mobo when "RAID" is
    > enabled for the Intel hd controller in the ICH8R.

    You don't need a workaround, this was fixed ages ago.

    > I have bios versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.3, and 1.4 burned on a bootable cd,
    > so it's the work of minutes to pick any official bios version and flash
    > it.

    ....in which case flash version 13, connect your SATA optical, select RAID
    mode for the ICH8R and off you go. Simple. You should be alright using 14
    too, but I've noticed that its behaviour is a little different. This might
    be because Abit have refined its behaviour, but it could also be because
    this issue has returned. If you want to be 100% certain, use 13.

    > p.s. Richh, does your B06R bios address this issue?

    No, B6R was intended primarily to address power management issues. Abit had
    by that point fixed the incompatibility between the JMB363 and ICH8R RAID
    mode which existed on the 10 BIOS. By the time 11 went gold, they had dealt
    with the issue you're complaining about too.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    The UK's leading BT-pwned technology reseller www.dabs.com
    Richard Hopkins, Jul 14, 2007

  3. Sard

    Meen Guest

    On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 23:20:35 +0100, "Richard Hopkins"
    <> wrote:

    >"Sard" <> wrote in message...
    >> Hi, I'm trying to find out if there's a workaround for the lack of
    >> SATA optial drive support on this mobo when "RAID" is
    >> enabled for the Intel hd controller in the ICH8R.

    >You don't need a workaround, this was fixed ages ago.
    >
    >> I have bios versions 1.0, 1.1, 1.3, and 1.4 burned on a bootable cd,
    >> so it's the work of minutes to pick any official bios version and flash
    >> it.

    >...in which case flash version 13, connect your SATA optical, select RAID
    >mode for the ICH8R and off you go. Simple. You should be alright using 14
    >too, but I've noticed that its behaviour is a little different. This might
    >be because Abit have refined its behaviour, but it could also be because
    >this issue has returned. If you want to be 100% certain, use 13.
    >
    >> p.s. Richh, does your B06R bios address this issue?

    >No, B6R was intended primarily to address power management issues. Abit had
    >by that point fixed the incompatibility between the JMB363 and ICH8R RAID
    >mode which existed on the 10 BIOS. By the time 11 went gold, they had dealt
    >with the issue you're complaining about too.

    Could be my hard drive, then, because with 13 the computer boots and
    the WindowsXP installation starts. It has that blue background and at
    the bottom of the screen you can see all the files that are being
    loaded. After choosing the Maxtor 6Y120M0, partitioning it, and
    formatting it, WinXP says it's copying files. At this point, we arrive
    at the message: "Setup is starting Windows". It's always at that point
    that I get a BSOD.
    Being unable to think of anything else, I'm going to get hold of a
    different brand hard drive (SATA, of course) and give that a go.

    Thanks for your replies, and I'll keep you posted!

    Sard
    Meen, Jul 15, 2007