Abit AN7 - replacing defective sata hard drive - mirrored RAID

Discussion in 'Abit' started by jbear, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. jbear

    jbear Guest

    Hi All,

    I have an Abit AN7 with a pair of Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120 GB sata
    drives running as a mirrored RAID array. The mb has a Silicaon Image
    bios driver and I am running Win XP Pro.

    One of my drives broke and I bought a replacment (exact same model and
    brand as remaining drive), but for some reason, the replacment drive is
    30 megbytes smaller than the orginal drive. Consequently the bios
    complains that the replacement drive is smaller than the current drive
    and won't take it. (exact drive specs below)

    I am currently looking for another replacement drive of the same brand
    and model that is the EXACT same capacity as my current drive but would
    like some comments regarding the following options:

    1. Buying another Seagate brand drive, different model, but higher
    capacity, say 150 GB and try to rebuild the raid array using that. Are
    there any potential problems with that? I probably won't be able to
    use the excess space, but that is ok.

    2. Try to use the remaining hd by itself. Currently when I try to boot
    Windows with only one drive, the bios complains about a broken raid
    array. Is there a way to get rid of the mirrored array configuration
    and use my good hard drive by itself? I want to boot and use the
    system with the currently installed os and apps. I want to avoid doing
    a clean install and losing all of my configurations.

    Thanks for any advice in advanced, please see below for my hard drive
    specs.

    - jbear

    ======================================
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.7

    Original HD Replacement
    HD
    Listed size 120 GB 120 GB
    Actual size (per bios) 114,473 MB 114,440 MB (bit
    smaller)
    Model number ST3120026AS ST3120026AS
    S/N 3JT3MHX9 3JT3MHX9
    P/N 9W2813-358 9W2813-032
    HDA P/N 100275528 10275528
    Configuration C2L-01 SZG-09
    Firmware 3.18 8.05
    Date Code 04397 04285
    Site Code AMK AMK
    jbear, Mar 2, 2006

  2. jbear

    Roy Guest

    Thanks for all your advice and help. I have returned the board for a
    replacement. CPU temp was ok. cant remember what the error code I had on the
    2 x 7 segment displays. they didnt help.

    Roy, Mar 3, 2006