    I currently have a Celeron 600 installed in my BH6, overclocked to
    900MHz, but I'd like to go for something faster if I could.

    Thanks

    xppro, Oct 18, 2003

  2. I news: skriblet xppro noe ala dette
    > What is the maximum speed of slot 1 CPU that the ABit BH6 motherboard
    > will take?
    >
    > I currently have a Celeron 600 installed in my BH6, overclocked to
    > 900MHz, but I'd like to go for something faster if I could.

    I don't think you'll be seeing any noticeable increase in performance even
    if you upgraded to a Slot-T and a Tualatin 1.2-1.4 Ghz Celeron (if that's
    even possible on the BH-6, I don't know).

    I'd just stay with the Cel 600@900 (which is a good increase) if it's
    stable, and perhaps install more memory if you haven't maxed it out
    already.

    Depending on what you use the box for, increasing memory will probably
    give you a better boost than upping the CPU speed (at least in this case).

    If performance is of concern, perhaps a new disk controller (ATA-100 or
    S-ATA) and perhaps newer, faster disks will give you a boost too.

    --
    mvh/regards
    ØNL

    It's just a matter of style. You can't fake it!

    Ørjan Langbakk, Oct 19, 2003

  3. xppro

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    The fastest slot 1 made you can use is a 1Ghz P3, 100mhz bus or you can get a
    powerleap adapter that will let you use faster Tualatin's.

    When I had my BH6 I used a P3, 100 fsb slot 1 for a while. Thats the fastest
    slot 1 cpu at a fsb of 100mhz. I then upgraded to a Powerleap PL-iP3/T 1.4 GHz
    Intel Celeron which I had overclocked to around
    1.568 Mhz.

    If your BH6 is a newer revision then it might have a 1/4 divider for the pci
    bus. Then you might be able to use 133fsb cpu's but your agp slot will run out
    of spec at 89Mhz I believe. There are also no slot 1 cpu's at 133mhs fsb so you
    would need to use a powerleap or a slotket.

    PRIVATE1964, Oct 19, 2003
  4. xppro

    TF Guest

    The Slot-T is the cheap alternative to a Powerleap. A Tualatin Cel. 1.4 is
    the fastest cpu for the Slot-T.

    TF, Oct 19, 2003
  5. xppro

    D & B Guest

    "There are also no slot 1 cpu's at 133mhs fsb so you
    would need to use a powerleap or a slotket."

    There are lots of Slot 1 133fsb cpu's...

    D & B, Oct 19, 2003
  6. xppro

    Spajky Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 03:07:27 GMT, "TF" <>
    wrote:

    >The Slot-T is the cheap alternative to a Powerleap. A Tualatin Cel. 1.4 is
    >the fastest cpu for the Slot-T.

    even better 1.1A OC to 133fsb ...

    taking care of additional cooling the mosfet voltage regulators too !!

    >> If your BH6 is a newer revision then it might have a 1/4 divider for the

    >pci
    >> bus. Then you might be able to use 133fsb cpu's but your agp slot will run

    >out
    >> of spec at 89Mhz I believe.

    if having a nVidia card, there is a fix on my site ...

    -- Regards, SPAJKY
    & visit site - http://www.spajky.vze.com
    Celly-III OC-ed,"Tualatin on BX-Slot1-MoBo!"
    E-mail AntiSpam: remove ##

    Spajky, Oct 19, 2003
  7. xppro

    xppro Guest

    On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 02:01:05 +0200, "Ørjan Langbakk"
    <> wrote:

    <snip> Thanks for the info.

    >I'd just stay with the Cel 600@900 (which is a good increase) if it's
    >stable, and perhaps install more memory if you haven't maxed it out
    >already.

    Funny you should say that, as that's partly the reason I posted the
    xppro, Oct 19, 2003
  8. xppro

    tf Guest

    If you have v1.0x, you might have multiplier problems with your AGP if you
    run at 133 FSB.

    tf, Oct 19, 2003
  9. xppro

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    >"There are also no slot 1 cpu's at 133mhs fsb so you
    >would need to use a powerleap or a slotket."

    That's correct, the fastest slot 1 is a P3, 1Ghz at 100fsb. It would be a big
    improvement over what he's using now, but a Powerleap at slightly over $100
    would give him the best performance with a 1.4 Celeron Tulatin. There might be
    other alternatives like mentioned that are cheaper, but the fastest 100 Mhz cpu
    is the Tualatin. The Tualatin 1.4 which I had running at 1.568 was only a
    little bit faster then the P3 1Ghz I had running at 1.12 Ghz. So it all comes
    down to cost. I'm also not sure if you can still find the slot 1 100fsb version
    of the P3.

    PRIVATE1964, Oct 19, 2003
  10. xppro

    D & B Guest

    There are 1Ghz slot 1 133Mhz chips...which would be the fastest slot 1.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3436492742&category=14292

    Why someone would invest any money on a system based on a aging BX board I
    will not understand.
    Sdram, UDMA-33, AGP-2X...a Duron or Athlon chip and motherboard would be the
    better option with more up to date north/south bridge technology.

    D & B, Oct 19, 2003
  11. I news:6yDkb.399001$
    skriblet D & B noe ala dette

    > Why someone would invest any money on a system based on a aging BX
    > board I will not understand.

    Perhaps some of us appreciate stability over pure speed? The BX-chipset
    was one of the (if not _the_ one) longest lasting chipset(s) that was ever
    made - therefore reaching a level of stability that's still hard to beat.

    > Sdram, UDMA-33, AGP-2X...a Duron or Athlon chip and motherboard would
    > be the better option with more up to date north/south bridge
    > technology.

    Which often doesn't work without extensive driver installation etc. I
    prefer my fileserver to be stable - I don't need that much speed from it
    anyway - and I don't want to spend several hundred dollars on new parts
    when the old works just fine.

    In my case it wouldn't be cost effective to upgrade MB / CPU / RAM / AGP
    unless I also upgrade harddrives - which would set me back a lot more than
    an upgrade of the CPU and perhaps a little more RAM.

    Regards
    ØNL

    Ørjan Langbakk, Oct 20, 2003
  12. xppro

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    OK I stand corrected, but he most likely can't use that 133mhz fsb version
    so the fastest 100fsb is 1ghz at 100fsb.

    PRIVATE1964, Oct 20, 2003
  13. xppro

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    I can understand why he would upgrade it. If he's not into games then why go
    with building a whole new systems.

    PRIVATE1964, Oct 20, 2003
  14. xppro

    PRIVATE1964 Guest

    >Perhaps some of us appreciate stability over pure speed? The BX-chipset
    >was one of the (if not _the_ one) longest lasting chipset(s) that was ever
    >made - therefore reaching a level of stability that's still hard to beat.

    Which I fully understand. If your not power hungry why go buy a whole new
    system. My BH6 lived a long life, until I needed to build a new system and only
    because I do play a lot of the new games. If a person doesn't need that speed
    then a BH6 is fine.

    PRIVATE1964, Oct 20, 2003
  15. xppro

    tf Guest

    If I were to upgrade from my BH-6, I'd want or need new cpu, RAM, video
    card, + P/S. That adds up to a lot more than just a slot-T + new cpu. A
    Cel 1.3 or 1.4 is only $45. Plus, the labor to pop one in is quick and
    easy.

    I figure that the BH-6 is the B-52 of motherboards.

    Why is someone who isn't interested in the BH-6 even looking at this thread?

    tf, Oct 21, 2003
  16. xppro

    D & B Guest

    Not interested in the BH6? Just because I am being realistic. Upgrade
    options and cost vs. performance increases doesn't mean I am not interested
    in my BH6.
    This is a newsgroup, people post for help/opinions. I was trying to point
    out the other bottlenecks the system will still have. Accept the board for
    what it is, a great board for its time. Will upgrading the CPU keep you
    happy long enough to justify the cost or will you have to change something
    else in a couple months? If so wouldn't it be just to change to something
    more up to date? Read back to the first reply to the original post, someone
    else looks beyond the "MHz Myth" and tries to address the sub-system
    shortcomings.

    D & B, Oct 21, 2003
  17. xppro

    GinTonix Guest

    "D & B" <> kirjoitti viestissä
    > There are 1Ghz slot 1 133Mhz chips...which would be the fastest slot 1.

    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3436492742&category=14292

    > Why someone would invest any money on a system based on a aging BX board I
    > will not understand.
    > Sdram, UDMA-33, AGP-2X...a Duron or Athlon chip and motherboard would be

    the
    > better option with more up to date north/south bridge technology.

    So what's wrong with those specifications (see some of my other posts)? :-o
    For me, it is just a hobby, don't know about the others. I love to see what
    can be done with old and outdated hardware and how much one can squeeze out
    of it. If the magical blue smoke sometimes escapes the cost is not too high.
    That's what happened to a HD some time ago, luckily it was just a 3 gig one.
    I would have cried aloud if it was a brand new 120 gig one... Well, actually
    no damage was done, I ripped the circuit board of a sectorally challenged HD
    and swapped the parts. The disc is OK now again. You learn a lot by fiddling
    with those scrap pile findings. The things learned can be very useful when
    moving on to newer (and above all - more expensive) hardware.

    > "PRIVATE1964" <> wrote in message
    > > >"There are also no slot 1 cpu's at 133mhs fsb so you
    > > >would need to use a powerleap or a slotket."

    IIRC there WERE some Slot1 1,13GHz P3's but they were pulled back. Too hot
    and not stable enough. Default core voltage was something like 1,85. Some of
    them survived and they are somewhere in use, I guess. Or maybe they are
    burned to a crisp by now.

    --
    gt

    GinTonix, Oct 21, 2003