Abit bh6 motherboard current era videocard options

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by Don Lindbergh, May 29, 2004.

  1. I'm using an NVidia GeForce 3 Ti200 dvi out in my BH6 v1.1 and am interested
    in moving to an ATI based card with dvi out, preferably a 9600 XT.

    I heard the ATI 9600 XT won't fit or work on the BH6. Can anyone confirm
    this before I waste time trying it myself?

    I gather that at least some of the ATI-made 'all in wonder' cards will work
    in the BH6? Do any of those have dvi out?

    Where would the best of those (that would work on the BH6) rank in the
    referenced list of current era graphics cards?
    http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/vga-charts-03.html

    My next choice would be a Matrox card with dvi out, preferably a P650. Is
    that card an option for the BH6? What about any other Matrox cards in that
    range? I have an MGA 200 with digital out which works.

    Unless the ATI based option (all in wonder etc) on the BH6 was quite a bit
    faster in games than a Matrox card, which I know will be at the very bottom
    of the list in game performance, I'd just as soon go with Matrox and get
    better game performance when I move on to a faster cpu/motherboard which
    will allow a more modern videocard.

    thanks for any comments,

    --Don
    dabl{at}hotmail{dot}com

    Don Lindbergh, May 29, 2004

  2. Don Lindbergh

    McGrandpa Guest

    McGrandpa, May 30, 2004

  3. Don Lindbergh

    McGrandpa Guest

    I have a ABit BH6 rev. 1.1 mobo in use right now. I am using a Radeon
    7000 AGP card in it and I can't see any reason why you cannot use any
    ATi Radeon board that is 2X4X AGP (3.3 volt). You can't use an 4X8X
    card in it. Other than that one age limitation, why not?
    McG.

    McGrandpa, May 30, 2004
  4. Don Lindbergh

    BigVoice Guest

    Why not using a Ti4200 video card which works OK in BH6.

    BigVoice

    BigVoice, May 30, 2004
  5. "McGrandpa" <> wrote in message
    > I have a ABit BH6 rev. 1.1 mobo in use right now. I am using a Radeon
    > 7000 AGP card in it and I can't see any reason why you cannot use any
    > ATi Radeon board that is 2X4X AGP (3.3 volt). You can't use an 4X8X
    > card in it. Other than that one age limitation, why not?
    > McG.

    Right. The question was to confirm the specific model number for the
    fastest of the ati based models which would work. The answer (not provided
    in this forum) appears to be the 9700 Pro (or 9500).

    Don Lindbergh, May 30, 2004
  6. "BigVoice" <> wrote in message
    > Why not using a Ti4200 video card which works OK in BH6.
    >
    > BigVoice

    Right. I'm having a specific problem driving the DVI in of a Dell 2001FP
    with that card and have evidence an ATI based card will solve that problem.

    Don Lindbergh, May 30, 2004
  7. Don Lindbergh

    Rick Guest

    "Don Lindbergh" <> wrote in message news:UPpuc.1968$...

    > "McGrandpa" <> wrote in message
    > > I have a ABit BH6 rev. 1.1 mobo in use right now. I am using a Radeon
    > > 7000 AGP card in it and I can't see any reason why you cannot use any
    > > ATi Radeon board that is 2X4X AGP (3.3 volt). You can't use an 4X8X
    > > card in it. Other than that one age limitation, why not?
    > > McG.

    > Right. The question was to confirm the specific model number for the
    > fastest of the ati based models which would work. The answer (not provided
    > in this forum) appears to be the 9700 Pro (or 9500).

    Yes. Refer to this chart:
    http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/agp.html

    Everything past the 9700 doesn't support 3.3v.

    Rick

    Rick, May 30, 2004
  8. "Rick" <> wrote in message
    > Yes. Refer to this chart:
    > http://www.ati.com/support/agpchart/agp.html
    >
    > Everything past the 9700 doesn't support 3.3v.
    >
    > Rick

    Thanks, that's helpful.

    Are there any current motherboards you know of on which an ATI based 9700
    Pro would *not* work?

    Don Lindbergh, May 31, 2004