Abit Fatal1ty AN9 32X - Soundblaster PCI Won't Work - No Parallel Connector

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Damaeus, Feb 10, 2007.

  1. Damaeus

    Damaeus Guest

    I'm so pissed. I had to build a new computer because some Adobe software I
    needed to run requires SSE2 instructions, and my old system (which worked
    perfectly well on everything else) had an AMD Athlon 3200+ (Socket A),
    which doesn't have SSE2.

    So I built this:

    Abit Fatal1ty AN9 32X
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core
    2 GB DDR2 800 (2 sticks of 1GB each)
    nVidia GeForce 7950GTOC

    Well... I had no idea they were phasing out parallel and serial ports. The
    Realtek AudioMAX sucks. I can't use FL Studio without gobs of static
    coming through, so I decided to go out last night and get a USB dialup
    modem to replace my PCI modem. (note: true broadband isn't available here.
    I have a satellite connection, but it doesn't work well for online games.)
    I also got a USB-to-Parallel cable for my trusty rusty laser printer.

    After disabling on-board audio in the BIOS, removing the AudioMAX daughter
    card, pulling the PCI modem, replacing it with an SB Live! 5.1 Platinum
    sound card and the Live Drive, I got no POST. I disconnected the Live
    Drive in every way and the system booted. Strange enough by itself. Then
    I got into Windows and installed all the Soundblaster drivers. No sound.
    No matter how I connected the cables or adjusted the settings, I spent 4-5
    hours doing everything I knew and investigating things I might have missed,
    and never did get sound of the damned thing. I got a few blue screens,
    though. -.-

    So I gave up. I powered down, pulled all the Soundblaster hardware out,
    put my PCI modem back in (never even bothered trying the USB modem) and
    reinstalled the AudioMAX card. Got my sound back. I don't know what I'm
    going to do when my class gets into audio production. I hope this damned
    thing can hold up.

    So to continue... I decided to try installing my USB to Parallel cable. I
    first followed the directions carefully. No print. So I tried other
    methods of installing. Never could get that working, either.

    Now I'm no dummy. I've built several computers and have never had such
    stubborn problems in my life. This is the first one that I just haven't
    really been able to set up the way I want.

    Now I'm figuring I have a choice. I can either get a newer USB printer,
    even though parallel-equipped printer I have works perfectly (and I just
    replaced the $130 toner cartridge), or I can try connecting my USB modem
    and free up the PCI slot for a PCI-parallel/serial card.

    But before I do that... I wanted to find out if anyone else has managed to
    get a SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 Platinum and/or a USB-to-Parallel cable
    working with a Xerox Workcentre XE80 printer. I'm especially wondering
    about the Soundblaster, though now that I think of it, if I do get the
    soundblaster working, I might end up having to buy a new USB printer if I
    can't get it to work with this adapter cable. ><

    Getting this motherboard was a mistake for me, I think. I should have
    gotten something with more than just one lousy-assed PCI slot. But I'm not
    totally willing to give up on it completely. I think it'll be a good setup
    once I get some kind of setup I can live with.

    Damaeus
    Damaeus, Feb 10, 2007

  2. Damaeus

    Damaeus Guest

    In news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, Damaeus <>
    posted on Sat, 10 Feb 2007 21:55:28 GMT:

    > I'm so pissed. I had to build a new computer because some Adobe software I
    > needed to run requires SSE2 instructions, and my old system (which worked
    > perfectly well on everything else) had an AMD Athlon 3200+ (Socket A),
    > which doesn't have SSE2.
    >
    > So I built this:
    >
    > Abit Fatal1ty AN9 32X
    > AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core
    > 2 GB DDR2 800 (2 sticks of 1GB each)
    > nVidia GeForce 7950GTOC

    I don't think my board is very popular. I hardly see any posts about it
    here.

    Damaeus
    Damaeus, Feb 11, 2007

  3. "Damaeus" wrote in message...
    > I'm so pissed. I had to build a new computer because some Adobe
    > software I needed to run requires SSE2 instructions,
    >
    > Well... I had no idea they were phasing out parallel and serial ports.

    So who are you pissed with? Abit for not warning you in advance that these
    ports are now largely a thing of the past on their stuff, or yourself for
    not looking at the specs in advance?

    > Getting this motherboard was a mistake for me, I think.

    It certainly doesn't sound like you did any homework before you chose this
    particular board, no.

    > I should have gotten something with more than just one lousy-assed PCI
    > slot.

    Sounds like, yes. You should also have got something with an onboard
    parallel port. There are plenty of manufacturers still making suitably
    equipped motherboards. If you didn't check this situation out beforehand,
    you have nobody to blame but yourself.

    > But I'm not totally willing to give up on it completely. I think it'll be
    > a good
    > setup once I get some kind of setup I can live with.

    If you are able to do so, why don't you return it now, while you still have
    the opportunity? You can then exchange it for a board that has both the
    right number of PCI slots and an onboard parallel port, which appears to be
    what you really need.
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    Richard Hopkins, Feb 11, 2007
  4. Damaeus

    Damaeus Guest

    In news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, "Richard Hopkins"
    <> posted on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:54:11 -0000:

    > "Damaeus" wrote in message...
    > > I'm so pissed. I had to build a new computer because some Adobe
    > > software I needed to run requires SSE2 instructions,
    > >
    > > Well... I had no idea they were phasing out parallel and serial ports.

    > So who are you pissed with? Abit for not warning you in advance that these
    > ports are now largely a thing of the past on their stuff, or yourself for
    > not looking at the specs in advance?

    I'm pissed at myself about the parallel port and for not checking the specs
    more carefully. I just assumed it'd have one, and I thought I remembered
    seeing specs saying it has one, but checking back on all the sites I read
    about it, it just isn't there. And I'm just pissed in general, but at no
    one in particular, that my old rig, which I had no problems with, wasn't
    able to run the Adobe software, so I had to spend $1500+. Well, I didn't
    *HAVE* to... I could have gotten a motherboard that was older than this
    one, but newer than my old one. But I figured I'd go ahead and get a late
    model board so I'd be good for upgrades for a while. I just didn't
    anticipate running into so many problems:

    1. No matter what your boot options and priorities are set to in the BIOS,
    and even though PATA hard drives are being phased out in favor of SATA
    drives, the hard drive on the IDE ribbon cable will be Drive C and that
    will be the boot drive. Period.
    2. Installing AudioMAX soundcard drivers will hose your fresh WindowsXP
    install, so prepare to to run another install to repair it.
    3. AudioMAX sucks, but don't bother installing a Soundblaster. It won't
    work. Hehehe.... Just get used to the crackling audio in FL Studio.

    Those are the three main problems I have with this particular board. I
    can't figure out why they used some shitty sound chip from a company like
    Realtek. Earlier boards had sound from nVidia, and having an nVidia
    chipset on the board, I wonder why they didn't do the same with sound.

    > > Getting this motherboard was a mistake for me, I think.

    > It certainly doesn't sound like you did any homework before you chose this
    > particular board, no.

    Actually, a website I looked at said it had both a parallel and serial
    port. I figured I could get by with one PCI slot. I just bought a USB
    modem so I could free up the PCI slot to get a card with a parallel port
    connection on it. I've already tried a USB-to-parallel cable, but it
    didn't work for some odd reason.

    I didn't buy this one blindly. I will admit, however, to being an Abit
    purist, and that's probably one downfall. I built an Abit KT7A-RAID
    system, the one with something else, but I can't remember what because I
    didn't have it for long. Then I built an Abit NF-7 system, and now this
    Fatal1ty AN9 32X. Unless some sound card comes out for the PCIe x1 slot, I
    may only keep this system until I get through school.

    Of course, as much as I've had to buy to get this one up and running, all I
    need now is another case, power supply, UPS, and a copy of WindowsXP and I
    can rebuilt my old system completely. I even had to get a DVD burner for
    class, so I have an extra CD burner and a DVD/CD-RW drive.

    > > I should have gotten something with more than just one lousy-assed PCI
    > > slot.

    > Sounds like, yes. You should also have got something with an onboard
    > parallel port. There are plenty of manufacturers still making suitably
    > equipped motherboards. If you didn't check this situation out beforehand,
    > you have nobody to blame but yourself.

    Yeah, I did, or perhaps I

    > > But I'm not totally willing to give up on it completely. I think
    > > it'll be a good setup once I get some kind of setup I can live
    > > with.

    > If you are able to do so, why don't you return it now, while you still have
    > the opportunity? You can then exchange it for a board that has both the
    > right number of PCI slots and an onboard parallel port, which appears to be
    > what you really need.

    No, I've already got it installed. I'm going to make it work. Besides,
    I'm using it for school work and I don't know what kinds of problems I'm
    going to have if I start asking to have the same Adobe software licensed
    again for a different PC.

    --
    Motherboard Abit Fatal1ty AN9 32X
    Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core
    Damaeus, Feb 11, 2007
  5. Damaeus

    Zeppo Guest

    How about this?...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156005

    Jon

    Zeppo, Feb 18, 2007
  6. Damaeus

    xxx Guest

    This will fix your problem.

    http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=931349&ref=FRG1

    xxx, Mar 4, 2007
  7. Damaeus

    Damaeus Guest

    In news:alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit, "Zeppo" <>
    posted on Sat, 17 Feb 2007 21:31:45 -0500:

    > How about this?...
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16812156005

    I tried one of those. For some reason it won't work. I worked on it for
    hours and never could get it to print. I just got a different printer.
    Sucks, too, cuz I had just bought a new toner cartridge for my old laser
    printer. ; ;

    Damaeus, Mar 7, 2007