Abit IC7-G Overheating - Chipset Fan?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Backwoods171, Jun 22, 2007.

  1. Backwoods171

    Backwoods171 Guest

    Built my computer 4 years ago and worked flawlessly until current issue
    Abit IC7-G motherboard, Pentium 4 3ghz 800m 478P. No overclocking
    Originally 1 mg Kingston ram, added additional 1 mg ram about 6 week
    ago. 2 weeks ago CPU started overheating. CPU temp starts out at 35
    quickly rises to >70, then shuts down. All fans working (including CP
    fan), EXCEPT small fan on the motherboard (chipset fan?). Can this b
    problem? If so, can it be fixed or do I need new motherboard? Also
    have read about passive heatsinks, particularly Zalman. Are thes
    better than fans? Do you remove the fan and install where fan was o
    does it go elsewhere on MB?

    Not very technical, so appreciate any help. Thanks

    --
    Backwoods17
    Backwoods171's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/members/3954.ht

    http://www.futurehardware.i

    Backwoods171, Jun 22, 2007

  2. Backwoods171

    peter Guest

    I would take the present heatsink/fan off the CPU and clean off all of the
    old thermal..whatever is there.I use nail polish remover or Isopropyl
    Alcohol.Remove all traces from both the heatsink and the CPU......carefully
    using a sponge Qtip or a non lint cloth dampened with the acohol.
    I would check and clean out the heatsink and fan...compressed air...while
    doing that might as well check all the fans and clean'em.
    I would reapply a better thermal compound...Arctic Silver comes to
    mind...then reassemble and test.
    If the temp holds steady at this point it was a case of the old compound/pad
    wearing out.
    The small chipset fan can either be replaced or fixed.remove it and peel
    back the label in the middle then carefully add 1/2 drop of 3in1 oil.spin
    the fan a few times to test for free movement.stick the label back and
    return the fan to its location.Turn the machine on and see if it
    spins........if not replace the fan.looking at the pic's of mobo I see
    that's one hell of a fan.
    let us know
    peter

    peter, Jun 22, 2007

  3. Backwoods171

    Backwoods171 Guest

    Removed and cleaned CPU fan and heatsink. Could tell once I removed i
    that this was most likey the problem. It was extremely clogged wit
    dust, which is not surprising as it has basically been on continuousl
    for about 4 years. Cleaned off old and applied new thermal compoun
    when replacing. Also replaced old (non-working) chipset fan an
    heatsink with new swiftech MCX159 fan and heatsink.
    Idle temperature is now about 40C and goes up to about 50C with heav
    load, but mostly around 45C on routine use. I assume these temperature
    are normal?

    Thank you very much for guidance. Appears to have worked

    Backwoods171, Jun 24, 2007
  4. Backwoods171

    SumGuy Guest

    Not familiar with those boards but my XP CPU runs about 20 C over ambient
    temp under light load.

    Most cases I have used cause the temp to go up a few degrees. I modded one
    so this didn't happen, but be aware this can happen with cheaper cases. Easy
    to test just see if there is a difference with the sides off.

    Sometimes the silicone thermal pastes, (white in colour usually), migrate
    their way to the bottom edge of the heatsink over time, due to heat and
    gravity I expect. I haven't noticed this with the silver pastes.

    You would have noticed the fan blades get covered in crud as well, reducing
    their efficiency.

    Unless your over clocking, chipset fans aren't really needed. A heatsink
    yes, but I expect the draft caused by the CPU fan is enough to keep it cool.
    I don't think there are too many cases of stock boards with over heating
    chipsets.

    SumGuy, Jun 24, 2007
  5. Backwoods171

    Guest Guest

    "Backwoods171" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Removed and cleaned CPU fan and heatsink. Could tell once I removed it
    > that this was most likey the problem. It was extremely clogged with
    > dust, which is not surprising as it has basically been on continuously
    > for about 4 years. Cleaned off old and applied new thermal compound
    > when replacing. Also replaced old (non-working) chipset fan and
    > heatsink with new swiftech MCX159 fan and heatsink.
    > Idle temperature is now about 40C and goes up to about 50C with heavy
    > load, but mostly around 45C on routine use. I assume these temperatures
    > are normal?

    Entirely.

    BTW the MCX159 is way overkill for the IC7-G's Northbridge.
    Last year I replaced Abit's crappy stock fan/hs with a fanless
    Zalman, it was the best ten bucks I've ever spent on this system:
    http://www.svc.com/zm-nbf47.html

    Guest, Jun 24, 2007
  6. Backwoods171

    Bob Smith Guest

    Re: Abit IC7-G Overheating - Chipset Fan? - HWM picture.jpg (0/1)

    here's a picture of my hardware monitor for the IC7G-Max 3 m/b with a
    3.0ghz 478 Pet 4 processor..

    I think your in the ballpark with the temps,

    Bob
    Northern Cal

    Bob Smith, Jun 24, 2007
  7. Backwoods171

    peter Guest

    Your welcome.......glad to see your down to a safe level

    peter, Jun 24, 2007

  1. Robert Ericson

    IC7, IC7-G, IC7-G MAX3

    Robert Ericson, Jul 13, 2003, in forum: Abit
    Dion L Heap
    Jun 7, 2004
  4. north_sea_brent at yahoo.mail

    IC7-G with latest Intel Chipset Driver v6.2.1.1001 from Abit

    north_sea_brent at yahoo.mail, Nov 13, 2004, in forum: Abit