ABIT IP-35 BIOS ROM checksum error (and solution)

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Lorenzo Sandini, Jul 5, 2008.

  1. Hello,

    Very suddenly my kids' computer started to freeze and after a few
    successful reboots, it hanged right at the start of boot, before you
    have to chance to press DEL to enter the BIOS setup.

    "Award BootBlock BIOS.V1.8
    copyright (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc

    BIOS ROM checksum error

    Detecting floppy drive A media...
    Insert system disk and press enter"

    I managed to make a boot floppy and load the latest bios on it, flash
    the faulty machine successfully as reported by the application, but on
    next reboot I was greeted by the same error. Changing the battery,
    resetting CMOS did nothing.

    Without much hope I removed one stick of RAM, and bingo, normal boot
    with the other one. So a defective RAM (el-cheapo DDR2-800, 1GB) was
    enought to mimic a BIOS fault.

    HTH

    Lorenzo

    Lorenzo Sandini, Jul 5, 2008