    My goal of a new pc is a machine where I can play games on (Battlefield etc)
    and do some programming on...

    regarding this configuration I've got some questions:

    This old cabinet don't have any holes for monting fans, can this cause
    overheating of the system? If it can cause the system to overheat I will buy
    a new cabinet instead

    How powerful powersupply do I need for this configuration?

    This motherboard support PC2-4300, PC2-6400, PC2-5300, which memory do you
    recommend of these types (PC2-4300, PC2-6400, PC2-5300) ??

    Is this configuration any good? please give feedbacks and suggestion on it

    cheers

    Jeff
    Jeff, Aug 22, 2007

  2. Jeff

    c Guest

    Jeff wrote:
    > Hey
    >
    > I have a cabinet of a 10 years old pc, and now I'm thinking of putting a
    > ABIT IP35 PRO motherboard + Core 2 Quad + GeForce8600GT + hard disc and a
    > DVD-burner into it. It is an ATX cabinet
    >
    > (The old computer sitting in this cabinet was an Intel 450MHz P3, 128Mb ram,
    > 8Gb hard drive, powersourse 120W)
    >
    > My goal of a new pc is a machine where I can play games on (Battlefield etc)
    > and do some programming on...
    >
    > regarding this configuration I've got some questions:

    > This old cabinet don't have any holes for monting fans, can this cause
    > overheating of the system? If it can cause the system to overheat I will buy
    > a new cabinet instead

    > How powerful powersupply do I need for this configuration?

    > This motherboard support PC2-4300, PC2-6400, PC2-5300, which memory do you
    > recommend of these types (PC2-4300, PC2-6400, PC2-5300) ??

    > Is this configuration any good? please give feedbacks and suggestion on it
    >
    > cheers
    >
    > Jeff

    In all honesty, for the price of a new case, you're probably better off
    to go that route. Even if you buy a cheap case and then a good power
    supply, you will end up with a better setup. The old PCs did not need
    the ventilation that the new ones need because of the increased heat.

    You can calculate your PSU requirements with a program like:
    http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculator.jsp

    or something similar.

    As far as the memory, the number after the PC2 is directly related to
    the speed of the memory, so the higher number will give you somewhat
    faster speeds.

    Your setup will work fine, but if you're going to be serious about
    gaming, then get as much memory and the fastest CPU you can afford, but
    also watch the price jumps between CPU speeds. Sometimes dropping one
    notch in speed saves a lot of money. The video card is a very good
    gaming card.

    Chris
    c, Aug 22, 2007

  3. Jeff

    peter Guest

    I would suggest a new case.The newer cases are more intune with keeping
    things cool.With all those copper heatsinks on the mobo you will
    need fairly good airflow throughout the case to keep them cool.A case with
    120mm fans front and back will not only help inthis regard but also be less
    noisy than a case with 90mm fans.
    The PSU is the heart of your system and as such is very important.A good 400
    watt and up PSU will last you for years.The other poster gave you a site to
    determine how much power but you should also check some PSU reviews for
    quality...and then buy the best you can afford.

    I dont know where you live but the 8600 GT is only $80.00 less that the
    8800GT which is a MUCH better video card for gaming...but its still your
    choice
    peter

    peter, Aug 23, 2007