Abit Mobo's boot problems

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Colin Dyckes, Aug 3, 2003.

  1. Colin Dyckes

    Colin Dyckes Guest

    Hi all,

    Looking through recent threads, there seems to be a general problem with
    booting several different Abit motherboards. The problem seems to be that
    after clearing the CMOS the machine will boot (possibly only if the Insert
    key is held down), but after entering the BIOS setup, even if nothing is
    changed, subsequent attempts to power on and boot just give a quick burst of
    the red led and fans and then stop. I've noticed a number of posts along
    these lines, and I get the problem if I try to run 4 sticks of memory, and
    even with two it sometimes takes two attempts to get it running.

    This looks like something fundamentally wrong with either the mobo or the
    BIOS. I'm new here, so don't know if anyone from Abit monitors this group,
    but has this boot problem been reported to Abit, and if so, was there any
    response? Do Abit respond to customer bug reports? I've got a hardware
    design background, and designed one of the first 286 motherboards in the UK
    using the C&T chipset (my hardware design is a bit dated :), so I've some
    idea what's involved, and this just shouldn't happen if chip capacitance and
    drive specifications are taken into account. What is different about the
    settings used when the CMOS is invalid and those when the checksum is
    correct?

    Can anyone shed any light on this before I throw my IC7-G in the bin? It
    looks as if it would be a good board if only it booted reliably!

    Thanks

    Colin

    Colin Dyckes, Aug 3, 2003

  2. Colin Dyckes

    Danny Y Guest

    IT only happens after a bios update so dont get to extreme with throwing
    that mobo away and if u do, do so in my general direction please.
    I always get a cmos checksum error after a update and normally because it
    resets all the cpu speeds etc to something stupid normally a adjustment to
    fsb 800 1:1
    and all is fine.
    Why it does it i dont know but it takes all of 1 minute to put back .

    Danny Y, Aug 3, 2003

  3. Colin Dyckes

    Colin Dyckes Guest

    Danny,

    I KNOW the CMOS checksum is incorrect after a bios update, but that isn't
    the problem.

    I ALWAYS get the problem at EVERY boot after the first following clearance
    of the CMOS, and it then won't boot with 4 sticks of memory whatever I do
    (except clear the cmos again).

    I posted the message because I've noticed several threads with essentially
    the same problem, and wanted to see if the problem had been raised with Abit
    or if anyone had tracked down the technical details of what settings the
    bios was using during a boot with incorrect CMOS as opposed to when the
    checksum was OK following a save in BIOS setup.

    Colin

    Colin Dyckes, Aug 3, 2003
  4. Colin Dyckes

    TomG Guest

    I don't run 4 sticks, just 2x512, but I also have never had a single issue
    with starting either my IC7-G or my IS7-G. it has to be frustrating to be
    experiencing that issue but I can't say I feel there is a problem with the
    mobo design as a whole.

    have you disabled all of the CPU fan detection and overtemp shutdown stuff
    in the health section of the bios?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 115,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Aug 3, 2003
  5. Colin Dyckes

    Colin Dyckes Guest

    Tom

    Yes, I've disabled everything relating to temperature and fans, and tried
    every sensible combination of ram timing and voltage. I can run two sticks
    of memory (Corsair) with only the occasional need to hit the power button
    twice to boot up, but with 4 sticks it's 100% certain not to boot except
    after clearing the CMOS.

    I haven't been able to ascertain from the other similar threads if 4 memory
    sticks is the common factor or not.

    Thanks

    Colin

    Colin Dyckes, Aug 4, 2003
  6. Colin Dyckes

    TomG Guest

    good luck with that one... I'd probably go through the trouble for an RMA
    for that to see what goes...

    TomG, Aug 4, 2003
  7. Colin Dyckes

    Danny Y Guest

    There is a good article on 4 memory and 2 memory conifigs with regard to
    performance
    Know it isnt directly related to colins problem but it is interesting.

    http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.html?i=1839

    By the way colin our your 4 memory sticks duals and of the same make?

    Danny Y, Aug 4, 2003