    Any comments?
    --
    Wayne ][
    Wayne Youngman, May 18, 2004

  2. Wayne Youngman

    Hippy Paul Guest

    "Wayne Youngman" <> wrote in message
    news:40aa33b2$...
    > Greetings,
    >
    > Just servicing the ATHLON machine I built last year and sold in Feb, taken
    > it to pieces for a complete rebuild. Just took off the Northbridge HSF,

    and
    > yes hardly any contact was being made. I had just been running the PC
    > before I stripped it so the white goo was runny and the thing came off

    easy.

    > Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I

    just
    > noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
    > thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power

    headers
    > on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a

    *standard*
    > power plug on the NB-HSF.
    >
    > Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug

    and
    > somehow fit it into the standard one?
    >
    > Any comments?
    > --
    > Wayne ][

    could always be crude and cut both cables and twist & solder the end you
    want to wires you want, then cover with insulation tape
    otherwise prise it apart and reassemble with superglue
    - should see some of my improvised connectors...
    Hippy Paul, May 18, 2004

  3. Wayne Youngman

    Chris Guest

    > Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I
    just
    > noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
    > thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power

    headers
    > on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a

    *standard*
    > power plug on the NB-HSF.
    >
    > Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug

    and
    > somehow fit it into the standard one?
    >
    > Any comments?
    > --
    > Wayne ][

    I was thinking of replacing the NB-fan on my nf7s with a spare Iceberq4 VGA
    cooler I have, its 100% copper and seems to have the same power headers as
    those on the mainboard. All it would entail is cutting off the mounts for
    the vga card and a little of the as3 thermal adhesive! I want to replace my
    2 x 256 PC3200 cl2 OCZ ram so I can go to a gig of ram, any suggestions that
    may help me hit 220 - 230 fsb? or am i better staying 2 x 256 to hit these
    speeds?

    chris
    Chris, May 18, 2004
  4. Wayne Youngman

    OZoNE Guest

    "Chris" <> wrote in message
    > > Anyway I was gonna replace the stock NB-HSF with a Vantec Iceberg but I

    > just
    > > noticed that the power plug on both the NF7-S and the NB-HSF is a midget
    > > thing? not the same as the plug on the Iceberg *or* the other power

    > headers
    > > on the NF7-S mobo. Just took a look at my new AI7 and that has a

    > *standard*
    > > power plug on the NB-HSF.
    > >
    > > Not sure if its possible to take the Back/Red wire from the midget plug

    > and
    > > somehow fit it into the standard one?
    > >
    > > Any comments?
    > > --
    > > Wayne ][

    > I was thinking of replacing the NB-fan on my nf7s with a spare Iceberq4

    VGA
    > cooler I have, its 100% copper and seems to have the same power headers as
    > those on the mainboard. All it would entail is cutting off the mounts for
    > the vga card and a little of the as3 thermal adhesive! I want to replace

    my
    > 2 x 256 PC3200 cl2 OCZ ram so I can go to a gig of ram, any suggestions

    that
    > may help me hit 220 - 230 fsb? or am i better staying 2 x 256 to hit these
    > speeds?
    >
    > chris

    My CL2 OCZ ram does 210 with 8-3-3-3 timings and 200 with 7-2-2-2.
    Try relaxing the timings a little with ram ya have ...if not look at the
    PC3500 OCZ Platnum ram if you want to keep cl2 imings at that high FSB
    OZoNE

    OZoNE, May 19, 2004
  5. Wayne Youngman

    John Smith Guest

    I disconnected the HSF months ago because it was prodicing horrible noise.
    My machine is on DDR333 FSB and I had no problems yet. I should replace the
    vent (still under warranty), but I still don't feel like tearing the whole
    computer apart just to fix this, neither can I miss my machine for a week -
    that's how long it would take for a dealer to replace it.

    John Smith, May 19, 2004
  6. "John Smith" wrote
    > I disconnected the HSF months ago because it was prodicing horrible noise.
    > My machine is on DDR333 FSB and I had no problems yet. I should replace

    the
    > vent (still under warranty), but I still don't feel like tearing the whole
    > computer apart just to fix this, neither can I miss my machine for a

    week -
    > that's how long it would take for a dealer to replace it.

    Hi,
    that handy to know, as the standard NB-HSF is not that good. I just it off
    the NF7-S and took it apart, lapped it etc and re-installed it using some
    Arctic Compound. I think a passive Zalman may be a good option. . .
    --
    Wayne ][
    Wayne Youngman, May 19, 2004
  7. Wayne Youngman

    anthonyi Guest

    I found the passive Zalman's to work just fine on the NF7-S NB...just make
    sure there's airflow through the case.

    It was a relief to lose the stock Abit cooler's fan noise!

    anthonyi, May 20, 2004