    Got your board yet, Richard ? You were expecting it to arrive by the
    end of January. Did I miss your report ?

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Feb 21, 2007

  2. "John Lewis" <> pissed thus...
    > See:-
    >
    > http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2934
    >
    > Final words:-
    > "Call it blind faith, or maybe we are just gluttons for beta BIOS
    > testing, but we believe this board will be worth all the trouble
    > shortly"
    >
    > Got your board yet, Richard ? You were expecting it to arrive by the
    > end of January. Did I miss your report ?

    Been too busy messing with the board to bother with the resident anti-fanboi
    I guess John, but seeing as you're obviously desperate to buy one, I'll
    throw you a boner.

    Annoyingly, before my board turned up, Abit inconveniently fixed the issue
    in uGuru which resulted in the vDIMM error, so I have been unable to turn
    any memory into roman candles.

    I've also been unable to find any stability issues, and even more
    annoyingly, I was able to get Windows installed straight away, thanks to
    previous experience gained with JMB363 equipped boards. I also had the beta
    2 BIOS the day the board arrived, and got b6 the day it was released, so the
    only major teething issue the board had in my eyes (the incompatibility
    between the JMB363 and the ICH8-R) was fixed by Abit within days. I've since
    constructed my own customised BIOS that incorporates fully working EIST/CxE
    and further optimised settings, so all in all I'm more than happy with it at
    this point.

    The design of the board is very nice, it has all the features I need, it's
    an absolute screaming overclocker, and I've also been able to contribute in
    a small way to developing it and helping other owners out over the last
    couple of weeks. I've also got some ideas for customising it further and ,
    so generally I've got that nice warm satisfied glow. Anything else?
    --

    Richard Hopkins
    Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

    Richard Hopkins, Feb 22, 2007

  3. "Richard Hopkins" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > "John Lewis" <> pissed thus...
    > > See:-
    > >
    > > http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2934
    > >
    > > Final words:-
    > > "Call it blind faith, or maybe we are just gluttons for beta BIOS
    > > testing, but we believe this board will be worth all the trouble
    > > shortly"
    > >
    > > Got your board yet, Richard ? You were expecting it to arrive by the
    > > end of January. Did I miss your report ?

    > Been too busy messing with the board to bother with the resident

    anti-fanboi
    > I guess John, but seeing as you're obviously desperate to buy one, I'll
    > throw you a boner.
    >
    > Annoyingly, before my board turned up, Abit inconveniently fixed the issue
    > in uGuru which resulted in the vDIMM error, so I have been unable to turn
    > any memory into roman candles.
    >
    > I've also been unable to find any stability issues, and even more
    > annoyingly, I was able to get Windows installed straight away, thanks to
    > previous experience gained with JMB363 equipped boards. I also had the

    beta
    > 2 BIOS the day the board arrived, and got b6 the day it was released, so

    the
    > only major teething issue the board had in my eyes (the incompatibility
    > between the JMB363 and the ICH8-R) was fixed by Abit within days. I've

    since
    > constructed my own customised BIOS that incorporates fully working

    EIST/CxE
    > and further optimised settings, so all in all I'm more than happy with it

    at
    > this point.
    >
    > The design of the board is very nice, it has all the features I need, it's
    > an absolute screaming overclocker, and I've also been able to contribute

    in
    > a small way to developing it and helping other owners out over the last
    > couple of weeks. I've also got some ideas for customising it further and ,
    > so generally I've got that nice warm satisfied glow. Anything else?
    > --
    >

    > Richard Hopkins
    > Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
    > (replace nospam with pipex in reply address)

    My issue with *all* modern boards is lack of usable PCI slots, and this one
    is no exception. Let's say I want to go SLI. That leaves *one* usable PCI
    slot. I need at least two, for a Soundbaster X-Fi and a PhysX card. Add in a
    KillerNIC maybe, and I need *three* slots. Hardly any board has that and
    none have all three accessible with SLI.

    Dirk Dreidoppel, Feb 24, 2007
  4. John Lewis

    John Lewis Guest

    On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 10:48:33 +0100, "Dirk Dreidoppel"
    <> wrote:

    > My issue with *all* modern boards is lack of usable PCI slots, and this one
    >is no exception. Let's say I want to go SLI. That leaves *one* usable PCI
    >slot. I need at least two, for a Soundbaster X-Fi and a PhysX card. Add in a
    >KillerNIC maybe, and I need *three* slots. Hardly any board has that and
    >none have all three accessible with SLI.

    PhysX is dead-duck. Both dual/quad-core and GPU-accelerators such as
    the 8800-family more than satisfy the physics-algorithm processing
    and will be main-stream supported by gaming developers. Havok, for
    example is working closely with nVidia and ATi and the major
    game-developers on accelerating physics using GPU and multicore CPU
    horsepower. Also, Ageia throttled themselves anyway by not creating
    the PhysX card in a PCIe form. Fighting for bandwidth on the shared
    PCI bus was a totally stupid implementation. PCIeX1 in duplex mode has
    4x the effective bandwidth of PCI.

    Also, you can throw away your PCI X-Fi if Vista gets to dominate.
    Incompatible with Vista's audio stack. Creative's day in the sun with
    a hammer-lock on PC audio peripherals is over. Audio processing
    implementations on motherboards with noise-free quality via a TOS-link
    to an external receiver/decoder. Er, where is Creative's PCIe version
    of the X-Fi ? A 4-inch long card would easily fit the millions of
    empty PCIe X1 or X4 short-slots. Obviously Creative have seen the
    writing on the wall.

    KillerNIC ?

    Upcoming high-end motherboards will be implementing integrated 10Gbit
    network interfaces. Killer enough for you? Many current mainstream
    motherboards now implement integrated dual 1GBit NIC interfaces.

    The days of PCI serving the mainstream are over. Legacy PCI will
    indeed persist for a while. There are still quite a few
    special-function PCI cards out on the market, especially in the
    signal-processing and video-processing area of technology.

    But all the mainstream PC functionality previously associated with
    plug-in PCI cards are now integrated into modern motherboards.

    John Lewis

    John Lewis, Mar 1, 2007