Above 50% CPU usage but task manager does not show it

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Roland Mösl, May 25, 2012.

  1. Roland Mösl

    Roland Mösl Guest

    Window 7 home premium

    Since some hours, more than 50% CPU usage,
    but when I cout together what the task manager
    shows, it's maybe 5 to 10%

    What can make this trouble?
    How to find out?
    How to stop it?

    I need control about my notebook.

    It would be the total horror to be on
    a long distant flight in an airplane
    and some senseless windows process
    waste my normal 12 hours battery life

    --
    Roland Mösl
    http://www.pege.org Planetary Engineering Group Earth
    Roland Mösl, May 25, 2012

  2. Roland Mösl

    BillW50 Guest

    On 5/25/2012 4:44 AM, Roland Mösl wrote:
    > Window 7 home premium
    >
    > Since some hours, more than 50% CPU usage,
    > but when I cout together what the task manager
    > shows, it's maybe 5 to 10%
    >
    > What can make this trouble?
    > How to find out?
    > How to stop it?
    >
    > I need control about my notebook.
    >
    > It would be the total horror to be on
    > a long distant flight in an airplane
    > and some senseless windows process
    > waste my normal 12 hours battery life

    Sounds like DPCs. This is easy to check with the simple tool below.

    DPC Latency Checker
    http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

    All of my Asus EeePC 700 series netbooks have this problem. If they are
    close to another electronic device, the DPCs will climb.

    --
    Bill
    Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird v12
    BillW50, May 25, 2012

  3. Roland Mösl

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Roland Mösl wrote:
    > Window 7 home premium
    >
    > Since some hours, more than 50% CPU usage,
    > but when I cout together what the task manager
    > shows, it's maybe 5 to 10%
    >
    > What can make this trouble?
    > How to find out?
    > How to stop it?
    >
    > I need control about my notebook.
    >
    > It would be the total horror to be on
    > a long distant flight in an airplane
    > and some senseless windows process
    > waste my normal 12 hours battery life

    Windows. especially 7, does a few things in the 'background', like run the
    monthly Malicious Software programme as well as defragging the HDD. Of
    course, as soon as you open Task Manager the 'background' tasks stop as the
    computer is no longer idle.....

    Google Win 7 background process' for further info.
    --
    Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)