AC'97 codec on my ct5880 onboard soundcard

Discussion in 'Soundblaster Live' started by AJ, Jan 18, 2004.

  1. AJ

    AJ Guest

    What is the AC'97 codec. ????

    I have to run this q'ion by you , cuz I am stumped. Usually I have no
    problem with drivers, but I cannot for the life of me, get my onboard sound
    on another machine, to work. (it was ok before format,and I have 2 diff cd
    devices to test for sound)

    the owners manual for the mB is at:
    http://europe.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7zmmh_e_2001.pdf

    And states that is has an
    On-Board Sound
    Creative CT5880 sound and mentions
    AC'97 CODEC

    (what is this ac97 codec? ... I looked and got the impression that it is an
    extra driver I need on my system, before, (i think) i install my sound
    driver of ct5800 which I have had no trouble of trackin down from several
    web sites. but when it is installed, ..... NO sound at all comin from my
    onboard sound. Even tried playing from both cdrom's and directly from
    hdrive, but nothing.

    1) what is this AC97, ... it does not apparently come with just the ct5800
    driver, so...??
    2) I already confirmed that my bios onboard ac'97 sound is ENABLED, (which
    it has always been), and that the jumpers on this board have not changed,

    Any Sujj.

    P.s. the board is an via k7 ga7zmmh
    the drivers I am using for this is from the main homepage of
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-7ZMMH.htm

    so...

    Help!! .... Pease!!!!

    AJ, Jan 18, 2004

  2. AJ

    Lenny Guest

    > What is the AC'97 codec. ????

    A bit of a misnomer, as AC'97 stands for Audio Codec '97 (meaning 1997, as a
    matter of fact).

    It's a standardized way across manufacturers to create sound. Usually the
    sound is more or less entirely driven by the CPU and uses cheap D/As and
    filters, and thus not ideal from either a performance or quality standpoint.

    Think of it as Joe Average sound. At best. ;)

    Lenny, Jan 19, 2004