    empty subfolders would be on my home folder?

    SHould I worry about it?

    Should I just trash it?
    Bill, Aug 21, 2013

  2. Bill

    JF Mezei Guest

    On 13-08-20 22:37, Bill wrote:

    > Anybody have an idea why this Accellion folder and its two apparently
    > empty subfolders would be on my home folder?

    Standard answer : It.s the NSA spying on you :)

    > Should I just trash it?

    I would trash it, and see if/when they re-appear.

    If they re-appear, trash them again, and see if they re-appear, but try
    to corelate your actions on the computer (what apps you use etc) with
    their re-appearance to figure out what causes them to appear.

    It is likely you have some app which has this cloud thing-a-ma-jog
    embedded into the software so even though you may not know about it, the
    app makes use of that cloud.
    JF Mezei, Aug 21, 2013

  3. Bill

    Davoud Guest

    Bill:

    > Found a folder named Accellion in my home folder. The folder has 2
    > subfolders named AFetcher and FTA. Neither of the sub folders has any
    > visible content. Get Info indicates 0 bytes content on both the
    > subfolders, 3 bytes on the main Accellion folder
    >
    > Don't think I put it there.

    You are almost certainly correct about that.

    > Web search indicates Accellion is a company that provides secure cloud
    > storage and file transfer.
    >
    > Anybody have an idea why this Accellion folder and its two apparently
    > empty subfolders would be on my home folder?

    Likely because you downloaded something that came from an Accellion
    server and it created a folder for the download. Since you aren't aware
    of the download, and the directories are empty, it may have been a
    temporary file associated with a download of which you are aware.

    > SHould I worry about it?

    Absolutely not. Worry can shorten your life.

    > Should I just trash it?

    If it worries you, definitely (see previous). If the folder is needed
    by a process or application it will be recreated.

    you will say in your entire life.

    usenet *at* davidillig dawt cawm
    Davoud, Aug 21, 2013
  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    In article <52144741$0$61223$c3e8da3$>,
    JF Mezei <> wrote:

    > On 13-08-20 22:37, Bill wrote:
    >
    > > Anybody have an idea why this Accellion folder and its two apparently
    > > empty subfolders would be on my home folder?

    > Standard answer : It.s the NSA spying on you :)
    >
    > > Should I just trash it?

    > I would trash it, and see if/when they re-appear.
    >
    > If they re-appear, trash them again, and see if they re-appear, but try
    > to corelate your actions on the computer (what apps you use etc) with
    > their re-appearance to figure out what causes them to appear.
    >
    > It is likely you have some app which has this cloud thing-a-ma-jog
    > embedded into the software so even though you may not know about it, the
    > app makes use of that cloud.

    Thanks to all.

    Trashed it. Will watch for reappearance and try to see what triggers it.
    Bill, Aug 21, 2013
  5. Bill

    Guest

    On Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:37:12 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
    > Found a folder named Accellion in my home folder. The folder has 2
    >
    > subfolders named AFetcher and FTA. Neither of the sub folders has any
    >
    > visible content. Get Info indicates 0 bytes content on both the
    >
    > subfolders, 3 bytes on the main Accellion folder
    >

    > Don't think I put it there.
    >

    > Web search indicates Accellion is a company that provides secure cloud
    >
    > storage and file transfer.
    >

    > Anybody have an idea why this Accellion folder and its two apparently
    >
    > empty subfolders would be on my home folder?
    >

    > SHould I worry about it?
    >

    > Should I just trash it?

    I had the same thing happen to me, that I noticed yesterday.
    I KNOW I did NOT put it there, and cannot recall downloading anything that would have put a folder and sub-folders in my home directory.

    I will watch for re-appearance.

    I rarely feel exposed using my linux pc (17 years now), but this is one case, that I was a bit concerned.
    , Oct 16, 2013