Access to Bios ???

Discussion in 'Compaq' started by Ricky, Jan 7, 2004.

  1. Ricky

    Ricky Guest

    Hi there,

    Anyone tell me please what keys (or combination) to press to enter the
    bios on a Compaq Presario 8714, the F10 key didn't work ....

    Again thanks

  2. Esc or F1

    "Ricky" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Anyone tell me please what keys (or combination) to press to enter the
    > bios on a Compaq Presario 8714, the F10 key didn't work ....
    >
    > Again thanks
    >
    > --

    1. Advertising

  3. DEJ57

    DEJ57 Guest

    >Esc or F1

    Have these EVER been so for Compaqs?

    F10 after the RAM count, if the "Setup" is on the HDD, which it may not be.
    Would show up as a non-DOS partition at the beginning of the drive inFDISK.
    Optionally, Setup can be ran from a floppy, downloaded from Compaq.

    Dale

  4. Yes they have I have worked on some Compaq's that right when you see the
    splash screen (Compaq) in the upper right corner you will see a little white
    blip,at that moment esc or F10 will get you in the bios.
    Now there is the possibility your are correct on the older machines which
    had the bios on the HDD but I don't work with dinosaurs,I can sell you a new
    machine for $300 so why bother charging the customer a couple of hours to
    play with junk when they can have a low end new machine instead.

    Dave

    "DEJ57" <> wrote in message
    > >Esc or F1

    > Have these EVER been so for Compaqs?
    >
    > F10 after the RAM count, if the "Setup" is on the HDD, which it may not

    be.
    > Would show up as a non-DOS partition at the beginning of the drive

    inFDISK.
    > Optionally, Setup can be ran from a floppy, downloaded from Compaq.
    >
    > Dale

  5. DEJ57

    DEJ57 Guest

    >at that moment esc or F10 will get you in the bios

    I was under the impression Compaqs have always been F10 (perhaps some early
    ones, maybe laptops, were not F10?). The question, which you mis-stated in
    your response, was whether Compaq had ever used Esc or F1.

    Compaqs have NEVER had the bios on the HDD. There was a Compaq Diagnotic
    Partition on the HDD, which held "Setup" program that allowed access to the
    bios on the systemboard. Setup can also be ran from floppy.

    Who is charging who in the original post?
    Even if it were part of the question, $300 is a lot of money to some folks,
    particularly if you have a PC in front of you that only needs a free downloaded
    program to run on floppy if one really needs to get into the bios to get it
    useable as a basic PC....
    and some of us enjoy the challenge of getting the dinosaurs working the way we
    want them, and making every dollar stretch as far as possible...

    Dale