    ragawo Guest

    My laptop only will run on battery, it will not run in AC mode. It will run
    until the battery dies.

    ragawo, Apr 26, 2007

  2. ragawo

    Bob Fay Guest

    "ragawo" <u33703@uwe> wrote in message news:71413b94db290@uwe...
    > My laptop only will run on battery, it will not run in AC mode. It will
    > run
    > until the battery dies.

    Does the AC adapter recharge the battery? IF not, do you have any way to
    check the AC adapter?

    Bob Fay, Apr 26, 2007

  3. ragawo

    ragawo Guest

    Yes it charges the battery

    ragawo, Apr 26, 2007
  4. ragawo

    Bob Fay Guest

    "ragawo" <u33703@uwe> wrote in message news:714220b76e918@uwe...
    > Yes it charges the battery
    >
    > Bob Fay wrote:
    >>> My laptop only will run on battery, it will not run in AC mode. It will
    >>> run
    >>> until the battery dies.

    >>Does the AC adapter recharge the battery? IF not, do you have any way to
    >>check the AC adapter?

    I hate to just keep asking questions, but I am suspicious of the AC
    adapter. Will the computer run with the battery removed and the adapter
    connected and powered?
    I am thinking the adapter is not delivering sufficient voltage to be
    detected while charging the battery. My Aspire 3100 runs best with out the
    battery.

    Bob

    Bob Fay, Apr 26, 2007
  5. It charges the battery, but it won't run without a battery

    ragawo via HWKB.com, Apr 26, 2007
  6. ragawo

    Bob Fay Guest

    "ragawo via HWKB.com" <u33703@uwe> wrote in message
    > It charges the battery, but it won't run without a battery
    >
    > Bob Fay wrote:
    >>> Yes it charges the battery
    >>>

    >>[quoted text clipped - 4 lines]

    >>I hate to just keep asking questions, but I am suspicious of the AC
    >>adapter. Will the computer run with the battery removed and the adapter
    >>connected and powered?
    >>I am thinking the adapter is not delivering sufficient voltage to be
    >>detected while charging the battery. My Aspire 3100 runs best with out the
    >>battery.
    >>
    >>Bob

    > --

    I cannot find a schematic to any kind of laptop mother board. I wanted to
    see what might be used to detect the 19 volt DC from the adapter. From your
    description, there must be a component on the motherboard that is defective
    or not connecting properly to the circuit on the board. Do you ever get a
    green light on the front of the laptop?
    Anybody out there with some knowledge of this circuit on any laptop?

    Bob Fay, Apr 26, 2007
  7. Yes the light turns green when the battery is fully charged. It shows on the
    computer that the AC adapter is pluged in. As soon as the battery runs down
    it turns off even with the AC adapter plugged in.

    ragawo via HWKB.com, Apr 26, 2007
  8. Its most likely a sempron processor.

    Christopher Syn, Apr 27, 2007
  9. ragawo

    > Yes the light turns green when the battery is fully charged. It shows on
    > the
    > computer that the AC adapter is pluged in. As soon as the battery runs
    > down
    > it turns off even with the AC adapter plugged in.

    I still have questions, but they would be useless without the circuit
    diagram. Some observations that might help someone with more knowledge than
    I:
    With the Notebook on battery my Acer gets brighter when I plug in the Ac
    adapter.
    The symbol changes from a battery to a battery with the AC plug next to it.
    The two LED's on the front are green with AC plugged in. If battery is also
    charging the right LED is Orange.
    With the battery removed and the AC connected, the left led is Green and the
    right is off.
    See if these observations are the same for your Aspire. It might help
    someone come to your rescue. If yours are different, post them. Also, was
    there any circumstances that led up to this problem?

    Bob

    Bob Fay, Apr 27, 2007