Acer Aspire 5100 notebook takes 8 hours to defrag

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Frank White, Aug 11, 2007.

  1. Frank White

    Frank White Guest

    Why would it take this long just to defrag about 40Gigs on drive C?
    Drive D (80 Gigs) takes so long that I just havent bothered.

    Seems that everything is a bit slow on this computer but I figured
    that is because it probably has a 5400 RPM drive to save power.

    Thanks

    ..
    Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.

    1. Advertising

  2. ctowers

    ctowers Guest

    Frank White wrote:
    > Why would it take this long just to defrag about 40Gigs on drive C?
    > Drive D (80 Gigs) takes so long that I just havent bothered.
    >
    > Seems that everything is a bit slow on this computer but I figured
    > that is because it probably has a 5400 RPM drive to save power.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > .
    > Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.

    You need to understand there are many factors that will affect the time it
    takes to defragment. You can search for and read the many articles that have
    been written on the subject and a good place to start might be the Microsoft
    web site. I've been using a versatile utility called ScanDefrag that I've
    had good success with, but I schedule it to start and run "off hours" and to
    shutdown the computer when it finishes.
    --
    _ct_

    1. Advertising

  3. Frank White

    Frank White Guest

    I guess I will have to do that. I seems odd however that with the out
    of the box software configuration, even before I touched it, It took
    excessively long to do this task.
    The more I added the worse it became as expected, but not to this
    extent.

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 04:55:21 -0400, "ctowers" <>
    wrote:

    >Frank White wrote:
    >> Why would it take this long just to defrag about 40Gigs on drive C?
    >> Drive D (80 Gigs) takes so long that I just havent bothered.
    >>
    >> Seems that everything is a bit slow on this computer but I figured
    >> that is because it probably has a 5400 RPM drive to save power.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    >> .
    >> Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.
    >>

    >You need to understand there are many factors that will affect the time it
    >takes to defragment. You can search for and read the many articles that have
    >been written on the subject and a good place to start might be the Microsoft
    >web site. I've been using a versatile utility called ScanDefrag that I've
    >had good success with, but I schedule it to start and run "off hours" and to
    >shutdown the computer when it finishes.

    Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.

  4. ctowers

    ctowers Guest

    If you do use the ScanDefrag utility, the log will list any processes that
    are running. Also, it may take longer just because it has not been defraged
    before. Good luck.
    --
    _ct_

    Frank White wrote:
    > I guess I will have to do that. I seems odd however that with the out
    > of the box software configuration, even before I touched it, It took
    > excessively long to do this task.
    > The more I added the worse it became as expected, but not to this
    > extent.
    >

    > On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 04:55:21 -0400, "ctowers" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Frank White wrote:
    >>> Why would it take this long just to defrag about 40Gigs on drive C?
    >>> Drive D (80 Gigs) takes so long that I just havent bothered.
    >>>
    >>> Seems that everything is a bit slow on this computer but I figured
    >>> that is because it probably has a 5400 RPM drive to save power.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>> .
    >>> Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.
    >>>

    >> You need to understand there are many factors that will affect the
    >> time it takes to defragment. You can search for and read the many
    >> articles that have been written on the subject and a good place to
    >> start might be the Microsoft web site. I've been using a versatile
    >> utility called ScanDefrag that I've had good success with, but I
    >> schedule it to start and run "off hours" and to shutdown the
    >> computer when it finishes.

    > Remove dashes "-----------" to e-mail.

  5. doS

    doS Guest

    if thats the case you have something running in the background...