Acer Aspire 5100 restore problems

Discussion in 'Acer' started by NotMe, Feb 22, 2010.

  1. NotMe

    NotMe Guest

    Acer Aspire 5100 restore problems

    I'm having a devil of a time getting the CD restore set I purchased from
    Acer to work.

    Trying to contact Acer Support is worse than talking to a wall (talking to a
    wall at lease you get an echo).

    No matter what tricks I try I get an error message: 0xa000000e

    A web searchs shows I'm one amoung many and so far none of the many have a
    workable solution.

    Any ideas?

    1. Advertising

  2. NotMe

    NotMe Guest

    "Zack" <> wrote in message
    > "NotMe" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Acer Aspire 5100 restore problems
    >>
    >> I'm having a devil of a time getting the CD restore set I purchased from
    >> Acer to work.
    >>
    >> Trying to contact Acer Support is worse than talking to a wall (talking
    >> to a wall at lease you get an echo).
    >>
    >> No matter what tricks I try I get an error message: 0xa000000e
    >>
    >> A web searchs shows I'm one amoung many and so far none of the many have
    >> a workable solution.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?
    >>

    > why dont you just download the drivers from the acer site
    > then install your xp or whatever you use then the drivers
    > ive always done that on my aspire 5000 because i dont want
    > all the other crap the didks put on.
    >
    > zack

    Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I'd considered similar. The Acer does
    not belong to me (I do pro bono support for several NPs -- in the land of
    the blind the one eyed man is king). The folk that own this beast want the
    original configuration if it's at all possable.

    I have told them, based on Acer's responses, that in the event they buy or
    accept any more donations of Acer equipment they are on their own. Easy fix
    I'll do it, otherwise ...

    All said and done I'd like to fight this one to the ground just to know how.

    1. Advertising

  3. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 2/22/2010 8:09 PM, NotMe wrote:
    > "Zack"<> wrote in message
    >> "NotMe"<> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Acer Aspire 5100 restore problems
    >>>
    >>> I'm having a devil of a time getting the CD restore set I purchased from
    >>> Acer to work.
    >>>
    >>> Trying to contact Acer Support is worse than talking to a wall (talking
    >>> to a wall at lease you get an echo).
    >>>
    >>> No matter what tricks I try I get an error message: 0xa000000e
    >>>
    >>> A web searchs shows I'm one amoung many and so far none of the many have
    >>> a workable solution.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>>

    >> why dont you just download the drivers from the acer site
    >> then install your xp or whatever you use then the drivers
    >> ive always done that on my aspire 5000 because i dont want
    >> all the other crap the didks put on.
    >>
    >> zack

    > Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I'd considered similar. The Acer does
    > not belong to me (I do pro bono support for several NPs -- in the land of
    > the blind the one eyed man is king). The folk that own this beast want the
    > original configuration if it's at all possable.
    >
    > I have told them, based on Acer's responses, that in the event they buy or
    > accept any more donations of Acer equipment they are on their own. Easy fix
    > I'll do it, otherwise ...
    >
    > All said and done I'd like to fight this one to the ground just to know how.

    How to fight this one to the ground.

    1. Start with ANY Windows install CD that matches EXACTLY the sticker on
    the side of the Acer. The CD may be branded, e.g. Dell or Lenovo, or it
    may be OEM.
    2. Next, download all the drivers needed for the hardware in the Aspire
    5100 from the Acer web site.
    3. Install Windows. If the Windows install asks you for the product
    key, enter it in when prompted.
    4. Do not activate it yet.
    5. Install all the hardware drivers, starting with motherboard chipset
    drivers ABSOLUTELY FIRST, before any other drivers. VERY IMPT!
    6. If the Windows install did not prompt for a product ID, download and
    run Keyfinder, to change the product ID to match the one on the sticker.
    7. Now activate Windows on the 5100 via the internet.

    This will give you the basic Windows software, but not any of the
    crapware that Acer may also pre-install.

    If installing XP, make sure that the install CD is at least Service Pack
    2, the first one to support SATA drives... Ben Myers

  4. NotMe

    NotMe Guest

    "Ben Myers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2/22/2010 8:09 PM, NotMe wrote:
    >> "Zack"<> wrote in message
    >>> "NotMe"<> wrote in

    >>> why dont you just download the drivers from the acer site
    >>> then install your xp or whatever you use then the drivers
    >>> ive always done that on my aspire 5000 because i dont want
    >>> all the other crap the didks put on.
    >>>
    >>> zack

    >> Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I'd considered similar. The Acer
    >> does
    >> not belong to me (I do pro bono support for several NPs -- in the land of
    >> the blind the one eyed man is king). The folk that own this beast want
    >> the
    >> original configuration if it's at all possable.
    >>
    >> I have told them, based on Acer's responses, that in the event they buy
    >> or
    >> accept any more donations of Acer equipment they are on their own. Easy
    >> fix
    >> I'll do it, otherwise ...
    >>
    >> All said and done I'd like to fight this one to the ground just to know
    >> how.
    >>

    > How to fight this one to the ground.
    >
    > 1. Start with ANY Windows install CD that matches EXACTLY the sticker on
    > the side of the Acer. The CD may be branded, e.g. Dell or Lenovo, or it
    > may be OEM.
    > 2. Next, download all the drivers needed for the hardware in the Aspire
    > 5100 from the Acer web site.
    > 3. Install Windows. If the Windows install asks you for the product
    > key, enter it in when prompted.
    > 4. Do not activate it yet.
    > 5. Install all the hardware drivers, starting with motherboard chipset
    > drivers ABSOLUTELY FIRST, before any other drivers. VERY IMPT!
    > 6. If the Windows install did not prompt for a product ID, download and
    > run Keyfinder, to change the product ID to match the one on the sticker.
    > 7. Now activate Windows on the 5100 via the internet.
    >
    > This will give you the basic Windows software, but not any of the
    > crapware that Acer may also pre-install.
    >
    > If installing XP, make sure that the install CD is at least Service Pack
    > 2, the first one to support SATA drives... Ben Myers

    Thanks. I'll play with this when the world comes to rest around here (grand
    kids have just discovered wild flowers and right now they have total
    priority.

    God help me when the Blue Bonnets are in full bloom!!! Will be a lot of fun
    but won't get a bit of real work done. (VBG)

    Back to the Acer. Box has started the load up and I get past the first CD
    (sometimes not) and it shuts down. If I let it boot to command prompt it
    will work for 5-10 min then go off/shut down. This is new and has me
    wondering if there is a problem with hardware. (I open the boxs every 9-12
    months to clear dust/lint build up so I doubt it's a heat problem).