Acer Aspire 8930G RTC Battery location?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Flint, Mar 30, 2011.

  1. Flint

    Flint Guest

    Howdy,

    I have an Acer aspire 8930G that simply won't boot, and the BIOS is
    password locked (typical forgotten password). I wanted to clear the
    password w/a BIOS reset, but don't know where the RTC Battery is located.

    After looking around, I found top/bottom view diagrams of the 8930
    logic board, but nothing labeled on it to indicate where the CMOS/RTC
    battery is located. I have removed the cover on the underside to
    access the HDD, SODIMMs, and wireless card, but see no access to the
    CMOS/RTC battery.

    Can someone tell me where it is on this, and what the difference
    between ab 8930 and 8930G is?

    --
    MFB
    Flint, Mar 30, 2011

  2. "Flint" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:imtr08$k8m$...
    > Howdy,
    >
    > I have an Acer aspire 8930G that simply won't boot, and the BIOS is
    > password locked (typical forgotten password). I wanted to clear the
    > password w/a BIOS reset, but don't know where the RTC Battery is located.
    >
    > After looking around, I found top/bottom view diagrams of the 8930 logic
    > board, but nothing labeled on it to indicate where the CMOS/RTC battery is
    > located. I have removed the cover on the underside to access the HDD,
    > SODIMMs, and wireless card, but see no access to the CMOS/RTC battery.
    >
    > Can someone tell me where it is on this, and what the difference between
    > ab 8930 and 8930G is?
    >

    > --
    > MFB

    I don't know about the 8930G, but on my TravelMate7520 it is on the
    mainboards _upper_ side, ie. you have get the keyboard out of the way.
    Disassembly, disassembly..

    --
    Thomas Wendell
    Helsinki, Finland
    Thomas Wendell, Mar 30, 2011

  3. Flint

    Flint Guest

    On 3/30/2011 4:21 AM, Thomas Wendell wrote:
    > "Flint" <> kirjoitti
    > viestissä:imtr08$k8m$...
    >> Howdy,
    >>
    >> I have an Acer aspire 8930G that simply won't boot, and the BIOS is
    >> password locked (typical forgotten password). I wanted to clear the
    >> password w/a BIOS reset, but don't know where the RTC Battery is
    >> located.
    >>
    >> After looking around, I found top/bottom view diagrams of the 8930
    >> logic board, but nothing labeled on it to indicate where the
    >> CMOS/RTC battery is located. I have removed the cover on the
    >> underside to access the HDD, SODIMMs, and wireless card, but see no
    >> access to the CMOS/RTC battery.
    >>
    >> Can someone tell me where it is on this, and what the difference
    >> between ab 8930 and 8930G is?
    >>

    >> --
    >> MFB

    > I don't know about the 8930G, but on my TravelMate7520 it is on the
    > mainboards _upper_ side, ie. you have get the keyboard out of the way.
    > Disassembly, disassembly..

    I kind of figured as much. I'm just not looking forward to all the
    dis-assembly without knowing for certain exactly where it is. I can't
    even find an iFixit dis-assembly on it.

    I just loathe dis-assembly on unfamiliar models... :)

    --
    MFB
    Flint, Mar 30, 2011
  4. Flint

    mk Guest

    Acer is notorius for placing these cmos batteries in difficult to get to
    locations. I had an Acer Travelmate and ruined the machine during diassembly
    in my attempt to locate the battery !

    If you have a local computer shop I would advise you to take it there, but
    ask questions of them first so that you can be confident of their skills
    etc.

    MK
    mk, Mar 31, 2011
  5. Flint

    Flint Guest

    On 3/31/2011 4:42 AM, mk wrote:
    > Acer is notorius for placing these cmos batteries in difficult to get to
    > locations. I had an Acer Travelmate and ruined the machine during diassembly
    > in my attempt to locate the battery !
    >
    > If you have a local computer shop I would advise you to take it there, but
    > ask questions of them first so that you can be confident of their skills
    > etc.
    >
    > MK

    I've done this before many times on many laptops, just not on this
    model. I just don't like doing it w/o some sort of dis-assembly guide
    or documentation.

    I've found that most of the time when you can't easily access the RTC
    battery because it isn't visibly accessible, it's usually on the
    topside of a laptop motherboard and under the keyboard. I kind of
    figured I'd have to be tearing this thing apart anyway, but it looks
    like I'll be creating an iFixit dis-assembly guide entry for this
    laptop model rather than hunting one up on the site.

    --
    MFB
    Flint, Mar 31, 2011
  6. Flint

    Lou Marco Guest

    In article <in1ntq$qgj$>, Flint <> wrote:

    >figured I'd have to be tearing this thing apart anyway, but it looks
    >like I'll be creating an iFixit dis-assembly guide entry for this
    >laptop model rather than hunting one up on the site.

    Wharfies foolproof guide to removing laptop keyboards:

    1. Take out the battery, drives,cards,and anything else
    that comes off without taking the case apart.

    2. Turn it over and take out every screw you see. That includes
    the ones holding the wireless card down. (I've seen at least
    one model where the long screw for the wireless card also attached
    the keyboard.) Look under the memory DIMMS (or SIMMS :) Don't
    lose any screws because they always have wierd sizes and threads.

    3. Turn it back rightside up,open the lid,and use your case
    opener (or a guitar pick) to try and move the keyboard up. Try
    pushing it back or forwards first. If it does move be careful
    of the convolutionary routing of the ribbon cables and don't pull
    the zifs.

    4. No luck, huh? Try the back of the palm rest. Does it move?
    How about if you try the guitar pick on the case joints? If it
    pops off look for the hidden screws holding the keyboard down.

    5. If you can't remove the palmrest (if you cracked it trying to
    replacements are generally cheap or you can repair it with
    plastic cement) look all around the sides including at the edges
    of the slots where the drives go and where the battery was. If
    you see tiny screws that might connect to the palmrest remove them.
    Things you didn't expect to come apart will come apart. c'est la vie.
    Try and remember what they looked like so you can put them back
    together and don't lose any screws.

    6. Still can't move anything? Try the hinge covers. if they're
    meant to pop off you'll see little catches to pry on with your
    pick. Or there may be a screw you missed. If the hinge covers come
    off remove the revealed screws and try the keyboard and palmrests
    again.

    7. If it still won't come apart look for hidden catches. Dells
    are notorious for this. You can find them by noticing that two
    parts, say, the led panel cover and the bottom case,don't *quite*
    touch except for two little spots. Which may be on any side. BTW.

    8. If it still won't come apart make sure you don't have an etch-a-
    sketch. If you still think you have a laptop go read the manual :)
    and find the screw under the label in the corner of the battery
    compartment you needed to remove :) (What? Sorry, I thought you
    knew to look under labels for screws. That's the best place to
    put them, you know.)
    Lou Marco, Mar 31, 2011
  7. Flint

    me/2 Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:18:10 -0400, Flint <> wrote:

    :>On 3/31/2011 4:42 AM, mk wrote:
    :>> Acer is notorius for placing these cmos batteries in difficult to get to
    :>> locations. I had an Acer Travelmate and ruined the machine during diassembly
    :>> in my attempt to locate the battery !
    :>>
    :>> If you have a local computer shop I would advise you to take it there, but
    :>> ask questions of them first so that you can be confident of their skills
    :>> etc.
    :>>
    :>> MK
    :>>
    :>>
    :>
    :>I've done this before many times on many laptops, just not on this
    :>model. I just don't like doing it w/o some sort of dis-assembly guide
    :>or documentation.
    :>
    :>I've found that most of the time when you can't easily access the RTC
    :>battery because it isn't visibly accessible, it's usually on the
    :>topside of a laptop motherboard and under the keyboard. I kind of
    :>figured I'd have to be tearing this thing apart anyway, but it looks
    :>like I'll be creating an iFixit dis-assembly guide entry for this
    :>laptop model rather than hunting one up on the site.

    Wow, all these replies and nobody has mentioned that BIOS passwords are
    stored in NVRAM and removing the CMOS battery will not clear a BIOS
    password. Depending on the manufacturer/model there are almost always
    methods to remove a BIOS password but it's not always easy to find out that
    information. Obviously for security purposes removing a BIOS password is not
    a straightforward process.

    Before retiring I worked over 10 years at a Toshiba Premier ASP. They
    actually had some models that a call to Toshiba ASP Tech Support was
    required to be able to remove a BIOS password. You had to give them the name
    of the ASP, the ASP ID number, your name and your Tech ID number. At that
    point they would have you press a "magic" combination of keys. This would
    generate a challenge code on the screen. They would then give you a time
    limited response code to type in that would allow you to get into the BIOS
    setup. Note this did not actually remove the password. You had to do that
    once you got into the BIOS setup.

    Older Toshiba modes used a parallel port dongle that was easily reproduced
    to remove a BIOS password. Once parallel ports fell by the wayside they
    started using a somewhat hidden set of jumper pads on the motherboard that
    had to be shorted to clear a BIOS password similar to the way it's done on a
    full size motherboard. Then there was the method I mentioned above on some
    models. I don't know what methods they are using today since it's been
    around 5 years since I quit working on Toshibas.

    Good luck finding what you really need,
    me/2
    me/2, Apr 1, 2011
  8. Flint

    Lou Marco Guest

    In article <>,
    me/2 <null@127.0.0.1> wrote:

    >Wow, all these replies and nobody has mentioned that BIOS passwords are
    >stored in NVRAM and removing the CMOS battery will not clear a BIOS
    >password. Depending on the manufacturer/model there are almost always

    Because we're not as confused as you are. Supervisor passwords
    are in NVRAM and not clearable by removing power. BIOS passwords are stored
    in CMOS and go to the Great ASIC In The Sky when the volts vanish.

    >required to be able to remove a BIOS password. You had to give them the name
    >of the ASP, the ASP ID number, your name and your Tech ID number. At that
    >point they would have you press a "magic" combination of keys. This would
    >generate a challenge code on the screen. They would then give you a time

    Well, that's pretty slick. But wouldn't it have been easier to
    just replace the chip? That's how you fix IBM's with a lost SUPERVISOR
    password...
    Lou Marco, Apr 4, 2011
  9. Flint

    Colco

    Joined:
    May 13, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    The battery (bios) on the 8930G is situated at the front left corner, beneath the motherboard and close to the cooling fan. It is a 2032 cell with tails that plug into the underside of the motherboard (not a standard 2032). Sorry but access means total disassembly of the computer or paying Acer £234 total to do the job. I stripped down my 8930 to find this as I considered it not worth the expence with no indication of when next this might occur! Colco.
    Colco, May 13, 2012
  10. Flint

    Colco

    Joined:
    May 13, 2012
    Messages:
    2
    :(
    The bios cell in the 8930G is located under the motherboard and near the cooling fan. Total disassembly is necessary I'm afraid and this effectively destroys the motherboard - the plug-less ribbon cable connectors do not like to be disturbed. Acer's Info team will do the job for you at a mere £234. This is not a standard 2032 cell, it has fly leads and a plug. After two failures in less than three years, I did the disassembly for the benefit of others, it's trashed now as I considered it not worth the cost or the future bother!

    Colco
    Colco, May 13, 2012
  11. Flint

    Harrie

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    the Netherlands
    CMOS battery Acer 8930

    i am reparing the Acer Aspire 8930, wich my daughter used for over 3 years in college.

    Here you see the disambling: motherboard:

    sorry, no image allowed... :(

    and here is the 2032 battery, packed in yellow foil and 2 wires red and black:

    sorry, no image allowed... :(

    attention: make sure, you unscrew and lift the clamp for the copper coolingpipe !

    seen from the other side :

    sorry, no image allowed... :(

    After detaching the battery, it seems to be 3,08 Volt :confused:
    But to prevent loss of date and time, i put in a new one,
    Since it is a lot of work, i will not close this faboulous laptop until
    the new battery is in.

    Greetings from the Netherlands (Holland), Harrie
    Harrie, Sep 7, 2012
  12. Flint

    Harrie

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    the Netherlands
    to reset the CMOS bij detaching the cmos-battery ( 2032, 3V )
    open the service-panel at the bottom.
    in the space where harddisk 1 is, you see a little white connector,
    that is the connector from the CMOS-battery ! ( with a red and black wire ).

    I renewed it a few days ago, and i relocated the battery, so i can access
    it easily when nessecarly, so I don't have to take out the motherboard again,
    that is a lot of work ! ! !
    Harrie, Sep 11, 2012
  13. Flint

    RobertSpitz

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Hi Harrie, I've the same problem and I'm interested in the pictures... not allowed.
    Where did you get them? Could you please give a link where I can see how to reset the CMOS bios without disassembly the whole laptop?
    Thanks!
    RobertSpitz, Nov 13, 2012