Acer Aspire M3610 - question regarding installing Windows XP

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Lukas Mariman, Apr 30, 2008.

  1. Hi,

    I recently bought the Acer Aspire M3610 dekstop PC, Intel Core 2 Quad, 2GB
    RAM, and Windows Vista Home Premium preloaded.

    But after almost 2 weeks of use, I'm growing more and more frustrated with
    Vista. It seems every day new problems pop up.

    I was wondering if installing Windows XP on this system is... doable. Can it
    be done without too much trouble? I own a copy of XP Home Edition, which at
    the moment I still have installed on my older box.

    Any tips, suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

    1. Advertising

  2. "Eugene Maes" <> schreef in bericht
    > You will need to find out if Acer has drivers that will work on xp.
    >
    > If not you might not be ble to use components on your laptop.

    Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure to check with Acer before I switch to
    XP...

    1. Advertising

  3. "Lukas Mariman" <> schreef in bericht

    > "Eugene Maes" <> schreef in bericht
    >> You will need to find out if Acer has drivers that will work on xp.
    >>
    >> If not you might not be ble to use components on your laptop.

    > Thanks for the tip! I'll make sure to check with Acer before I switch to
    > XP...

    BTW, I'd be very interested to know if there are other people "here" with
    the same system, or with a similar model, and what their experiences are,
    especially concerning gaming.

    I've tried out a couple of games so far, and have already run into trouble.
    I can't seem to get Bioshock to run properly, and apparently Vista doesn't
    like the Battle for Middle Earth RTS game... Wonderful. :-/

  4. chelsea

    chelsea

    Joined:
    May 8, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    there is no problem with XP i guess.. im having ACER with Windows XP. it works and no such problem i encountered so far. maybe Vista is not compatible with Acer.

  5. Sentinel

    Sentinel Guest

    On 20 mei, 00:16, maxglover1989
    <> wrote:
    > im currently as i type installing xp on my m3610, iv found the drivers
    > for the sound video and ethernet
    > here are the links
    > If you want to use a DSL Internet Connection, you
    > need to install the Ethernet Driver in yk51x86_v10.53.2.3.zip
    > from
    > 'Marvell: Consumer Driver Search'
    > (http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?dId=103&pId=3)
    >
    > If you want to install the audio driver, proceed as follows:
    > 1. In Windows XP Device Manager remove the PCI devices marked with the
    > yellow questionmark.
    > 2. Download and install one of the Catalyst drivers from
    > 'AMD GAME Drivers & Tools'
    > (http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp)
    > (This is actually a graphics driver, but also required to squeeze
    > sound out of the box)
    > 3. Download and install the Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs fromhttp://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/down...3&GetDown=false
    >
    > hope this helps

    Thanks, I appreciate your help! I'll let you know how it goes.

  6. "Sentinel" <> schreef in bericht
    > On 20 mei, 00:16, maxglover1989
    > <> wrote:
    >> im currently as i type installing xp on my m3610, iv found the drivers
    >> for the sound video and ethernet
    >> here are the links
    >> If you want to use a DSL Internet Connection, you
    >> need to install the Ethernet Driver in yk51x86_v10.53.2.3.zip
    >> from
    >> 'Marvell: Consumer Driver Search'
    >> (http://www.marvell.com/drivers/driverDisplay.do?dId=103&pId=3)
    >>
    >> If you want to install the audio driver, proceed as follows:
    >> 1. In Windows XP Device Manager remove the PCI devices marked with the
    >> yellow questionmark.
    >> 2. Download and install one of the Catalyst drivers from
    >> 'AMD GAME Drivers & Tools'
    >> (http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp)
    >> (This is actually a graphics driver, but also required to squeeze
    >> sound out of the box)
    >> 3. Download and install the Realtek High Definition Audio Codecs
    >> fromhttp://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/down...3&GetDown=false
    >>
    >> hope this helps

    > Thanks, I appreciate your help! I'll let you know how it goes.

    OK, I managed to get all the drivers and managed to install XP Home Edition.
    It seems to work fine, although a few issues have emerged since.

    - I recently noticed my Acer USB keyboard doesn't seem to work when I want
    to access, say, the BIOS setup. Funnily enough I CAN use the keyboard to
    enter the BIOS in the first place, so why doesn't it work? I don't know if
    installing XP has anything to do with it. It used to work before.

    - Last week I installed a second drive. While it seems to run reliably, I've
    had Windows hang a couple of times since. The desktop loads, but it seems to
    hang trying to load more stuff, such as the items in the system tray. I can
    move the mouse, and it changes into an hourglass when I hower the mouse over
    the taskbar. I can get the system to work ok by accessing the task manager
    and logging off and then back on.

    Because the is started at around the time I installed the new drive, so
    naturally I was wondering if there might be a connection. But then again I
    only installed XP on this Acer M3610 just 2 weeks or so ago, so maybe
    there's something else going on?

    I have to say I wasn't sure if I connected the drive in the right slot. As I
    don't have any manual for my mobo, I just made a guess.