    sizing affect this.

    Thanks for any thoughts or advice
    Ralph

    Ralph2, Aug 12, 2007

  2. Ralph2

    ctowers Guest

    Ralph2 wrote:
    > Is anyone home at the support desk at Acer.com.. Replies (read none)
    > don't seem to be forthcoming.
    >
    > Can anyone give advice on how to change the partition (?) size. The HD
    > is divided into 2 drives of 70 GB. With only some of my applications
    > installed and Vista I am left with only 26 GB of free space and a full
    > 69.9 on D: Not that clever a choice from Acer.. in my opinion.
    >
    > My options seem to be to re size C and D or move all my documents into
    > D: Not being familiar with the Vista system... can I "move" my
    > documents as one can in Windows XP or Windows 2000.
    > In which drive is the hidden restore folder / partition? and would re
    > sizing affect this.
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts or advice
    > Ralph

    Third party software would enable you to change partition size, but you have
    a decent setup now, why bother?
    --
    _ct_

    ctowers, Aug 12, 2007

  3. Ralph2

    litefrozen Guest

    In article <>, Ralph2 <> wrote:

    > Is anyone home at the support desk at Acer.com.. Replies (read none)
    > don't seem to be forthcoming.
    >
    > Can anyone give advice on how to change the partition (?) size. The HD
    > is divided into 2 drives of 70 GB. With only some of my applications
    > installed and Vista I am left with only 26 GB of free space and a full
    > 69.9 on D: Not that clever a choice from Acer.. in my opinion.
    >
    > My options seem to be to re size C and D or move all my documents into
    > D: Not being familiar with the Vista system... can I "move" my
    > documents as one can in Windows XP or Windows 2000.
    > In which drive is the hidden restore folder / partition? and would re
    > sizing affect this.
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts or advice
    > Ralph

    The hidden partition is not on either the C or D partitions, Its is in its own partition.
    The hard drive is divided into 3 partitions the C drive with the system on it, D drive is empty and the
    hidden partition called PQSERVICE that has the factory backup that you use to restore the computer
    back to how it came from the factory.

    litefrozen, Aug 13, 2007
  4. Ralph2

    Chris Syn Guest

    eh, wrong ....the files are on D drive....

    Chris Syn, Aug 13, 2007
  5. Ralph2

    litefrozen Guest

    In article <Sj2wi.9$>, Chris Syn <> wrote:

    > eh, wrong ....the files are on D drive....
    >
    > "litefrozen" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <>, Ralph2
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Is anyone home at the support desk at Acer.com.. Replies (read none)
    > >> don't seem to be forthcoming.
    > >>
    > >> Can anyone give advice on how to change the partition (?) size. The HD
    > >> is divided into 2 drives of 70 GB. With only some of my applications
    > >> installed and Vista I am left with only 26 GB of free space and a full
    > >> 69.9 on D: Not that clever a choice from Acer.. in my opinion.
    > >>
    > >> My options seem to be to re size C and D or move all my documents into
    > >> D: Not being familiar with the Vista system... can I "move" my
    > >> documents as one can in Windows XP or Windows 2000.
    > >> In which drive is the hidden restore folder / partition? and would re
    > >> sizing affect this.
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for any thoughts or advice
    > >> Ralph

    > > The hidden partition is not on either the C or D partitions, Its is in its
    > > own partition.
    > > The hard drive is divided into 3 partitions the C drive with the system on
    > > it, D drive is empty and the
    > > hidden partition called PQSERVICE that has the factory backup that you use
    > > to restore the computer
    > > back to how it came from the factory.

    Now are we talking about the Vista System restore files, yes they can be on the D drive.
    or are we talking about the Hidden partition that has the files to do the factory restore.
    Because that has its own partition.

    litefrozen, Aug 14, 2007
  6. Ralph2

    doS Guest

    Nope the system restore files are hidden on D

    doS, Aug 14, 2007
  7. Ralph2

    litefrozen Guest

    In article <yM8wi.98$>, doS <> wrote:

    > Nope the system restore files are hidden on D
    >
    > "litefrozen" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <Sj2wi.9$>, Chris Syn
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> eh, wrong ....the files are on D drive....
    > >>
    > >> "litefrozen" <> wrote in message

    > > Now are we talking about the Vista System restore files, yes they can be
    > > on the D drive.
    > > or are we talking about the Hidden partition that has the files to do the
    > > factory restore.
    > > Because that has its own partition.

    If the computer came from the factory with Vista on it.
    the harddrive is divided into 3 partitions.

    One partition is the C drive which has the operating system on it.
    the next partition is the D drive which has/or can have the hidden files used by the OS for System Restore on it.
    partition#3 is a hidden partition which has the disc image that acer eRecovery use's to restore the drive
    back to how it came from the factory

    The hidden partition is what I was talking about, not the hidden files for restore used by the OS.

    litefrozen, Aug 14, 2007
  8. Ralph2

    Jim Guest

    litefrozen wrote:
    >the hidden partition called PQSERVICE that has the factory backup that you use to restore the computer
    > back to how it came from the factory.

    Any concern with taking that partition and copying it to a network drive
    or perhaps an optical disc?

    Jim, Aug 14, 2007
  9. Ralph2

    Dan Caron Guest

    litefrozen wrote:
    > In article <yM8wi.98$>, doS <> wrote:
    >
    >> Nope the system restore files are hidden on D
    >>
    >> "litefrozen" <> wrote in message

    >>> Now are we talking about the Vista System restore files, yes they can be
    >>> on the D drive.
    >>> or are we talking about the Hidden partition that has the files to do the
    >>> factory restore.
    >>> Because that has its own partition.

    > If the computer came from the factory with Vista on it.
    > the harddrive is divided into 3 partitions.
    >
    > One partition is the C drive which has the operating system on it.
    > the next partition is the D drive which has/or can have the hidden files used by the OS for System Restore on it.
    > partition#3 is a hidden partition which has the disc image that acer eRecovery use's to restore the drive
    > back to how it came from the factory
    >
    > The hidden partition is what I was talking about, not the hidden files for restore used by the OS.

    Litefrozen is correct. 3 Partitions. The Restore files are on a hidden
    partition. I am a repair tech for Acer.

    Dan Caron, Aug 15, 2007
  10. Ralph2

    Ralph2 Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 18:25:16 -0400, Jim <> wrote:

    >litefrozen wrote:
    >>the hidden partition called PQSERVICE that has the factory backup that you use to restore the computer
    >> back to how it came from the factory.

    >Any concern with taking that partition and copying it to a network drive
    >or perhaps an optical disc?

    Thanks to all for the information... But... back to the original
    question... With what and / or how can I re size the partitions. As I
    see it currently D: is useless. Is there a "MOVE" function in Vista to
    have all my Documents go to D.. as one can with XP
    Ralph

    Ralph2, Aug 15, 2007
  11. Ralph2

    litefrozen Guest

    In article <>, Ralph2 <> wrote:

    > Thanks to all for the information... But... back to the original
    > question... With what and / or how can I re size the partitions. As I
    > see it currently D: is useless. Is there a "MOVE" function in Vista to
    > have all my Documents go to D.. as one can with XP
    > Ralph

    Here see if this helps

    Windows Vista Tips & Tricks: Resize Partitions With Vista Disk Manager

    http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewstory.php?t=78111

    litefrozen, Aug 15, 2007
  12. Ralph2

    Ralph2 Guest

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 00:42:38 -0400, litefrozen
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>, Ralph2 <> wrote:
    >

    >> Thanks to all for the information... But... back to the original
    >> question... With what and / or how can I re size the partitions. As I
    >> see it currently D: is useless. Is there a "MOVE" function in Vista to
    >> have all my Documents go to D.. as one can with XP
    >> Ralph

    >Here see if this helps
    >
    > Windows Vista Tips & Tricks: Resize Partitions With Vista Disk Manager
    >
    >http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewstory.php?t=78111

    Thanks..
    Any ideas on the "move" feature

    Ralph2, Aug 16, 2007
  13. Ralph2

    litefrozen Guest

    In article <>, Ralph2 <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 00:42:38 -0400, litefrozen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, Ralph2 <> wrote:
    > >

    > >> Thanks to all for the information... But... back to the original
    > >> question... With what and / or how can I re size the partitions. As I
    > >> see it currently D: is useless. Is there a "MOVE" function in Vista to
    > >> have all my Documents go to D.. as one can with XP
    > >> Ralph

    > >Here see if this helps
    > >
    > > Windows Vista Tips & Tricks: Resize Partitions With Vista Disk Manager
    > >
    > >http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewstory.php?t=78111

    > Thanks..
    > Any ideas on the "move" feature

    if this is what your wanting See if this helps-
    see-Copying and moving files and folders

    http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/b8f62a7d-381a-4253-a52e-04883e076bbe1033.mspx

    litefrozen, Aug 16, 2007
  14. Ralph2

    litefrozen Guest

    In article <150820072326526222%>, litefrozen <> wrote:

    > In article <>, Ralph2 <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 00:42:38 -0400, litefrozen
    > > <> wrote:

    > > >Here see if this helps
    > > >
    > > > Windows Vista Tips & Tricks: Resize Partitions With Vista Disk Manager
    > > >
    > > >http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/viewstory.php?t=78111

    > > Thanks..
    > > Any ideas on the "move" feature

    Also see

    http://www.ehow.com/how_2064387_relocate-user-files-windows-vista.html

    litefrozen, Aug 16, 2007
  15. Ralph2

    Ralph2 Guest

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 23:33:29 -0400, litefrozen
    <> wrote:

    >In article <150820072326526222%>, litefrozen <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>, Ralph2 <> wrote:

    >> > Thanks..
    >> > Any ideas on the "move" feature

    >Also see
    >
    >http://www.ehow.com/how_2064387_relocate-user-files-windows-vista.html

    Thanks.. this last link is similar to ones I have found elsewhere.. It
    seems from what I can find so far that to move the "user" into another
    partition or drive is almost the same as it was in XP. (Right click My
    Documents in Windows Explorer and select move)
    No one yet (that I can find) knows how to move the public folder that
    Vista makes. And.. it seems that one looses all the securities that
    Vista so proudly proclaims when the "documents" are moved into any
    drive other than C: In my case as there is only one user I could care
    less about the security issue but clearly this is yet another area
    where Vista is not quite ready for prime time.
    Ralph

    Ralph2, Aug 17, 2007
  16. Ralph2

    litefrozen Guest