Acer computer - Mini tower. How upgradable are they.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Don Malone, Apr 21, 2007.

  1. Don Malone

    Don Malone Guest

    I just acquired an Acer Aspire E380 as a combo. Nice 19" wide screen
    LCD hich now belongs to my wife.

    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8276661&type=product&produ
    ctCategoryId=pcmcat112200050017&id=1171671628685

    Link shows the model purchased.

    It has a small power supply (250 watt) which is supposed to take an
    after marker unit just fine, and needs a graphics card to get the most
    out of it. I am still trying to figure out which motherboard it has and
    its upgrade potential.

    My question is, does anyone here have any experiences with upgrading an
    Acer unit and does it use proprietary parts like a dell does?

    Thanks for your time.
    Don

    Don Malone, Apr 21, 2007

  2. Don Malone

    The Henchman Guest

    > My question is, does anyone here have any experiences with upgrading an
    > Acer unit and does it use proprietary parts like a dell does?
    >
    > Thanks for your time.
    > Don

    Why do you ask?
    The Henchman, Apr 25, 2007

  3. Don Malone

    Don Malone Guest

    The Henchman wrote:

    > > My question is, does anyone here have any experiences with
    > > upgrading an Acer unit and does it use proprietary parts like a
    > > dell does?
    > >
    > > Thanks for your time.
    > > Don

    > Why do you ask?

    The comp is new. I just wonder is it only as good as it is now or is it
    effective to upgrade (to a point) the unit. I really should have built
    one but the combo was to good to pass up. At one time Dell's used parts
    that were (supposedly) replaceable only with Dell parts. Items like
    power supplies, mother boards and what not.

    I guess it really does not mater except for I now have to upgrade the
    power supply; to add a PCIx graphics card as it only came with a 250W
    power supply. I was told the power supply was a standard size and
    started to wonder about the other upgrade items, like the mother board.

    I am also still trying to find out the maximum chip that the mother
    board will handle. Unfortunantly; I have had little luck identifying
    the MB.

    So guess I'm just curious. It won't really change anything either way.

    Don

    Don Malone, Apr 26, 2007