    it would be fantastic. Any comments and links to better information
    would be helpful.

    , Aug 23, 2008

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Does any one know the identity or number of the motherboard in an Acer
    > Aspire M1640? Or better yet, a link to the manual for the motherboard?
    > The M1640 comes with hard/software support for RAID (NVIDIA). Hard
    > drives are really cheap so I was considering installing RAID 0 support
    > with two drives. Do they need to be identical? When my M1640 boots a
    > BIOS message "single channel mode" flashes. Presumably the board knows
    > about dual memory channel mode. How do I implement dual channel mode?
    > My M1640 comes with a Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160 CPU clocked at 1.8
    > GHz. Before I purchased the PC, I read a review stating that this CPU
    > (a $79 chip) could be overclocked at up to 3.2 GHz. Now that I have
    > the unit I see that there is hardware and software support for
    > variable clock rate. I enabled this feature through Vista. Now when
    > idle, the clock runs at 66% or 1.2 GHz. If this unit could be
    > overclocked to 3.2 GHz, I think the variable clock technology would
    > scale it back to 1.2 Ghz when idle and gas it up to 3.2 GHz if/when
    > needed. This would save on power, heat generation and make the system
    > stable at overclocked speed. The system comes with a variable speed
    > CPU fan and the BIOS reports the CPU temperature and fan speed. When I
    > looked, the CPU temperature was reported to be 30 C. The BIOS had
    > features to enable warning and shutdown when the CPU temperature
    > reached 80 C. If the CPU of this inexpensive PC could be overclocked
    > it would be fantastic. Any comments and links to better information
    > would be helpful.

    Intel EIST is a way of saving power when a computer is idle. Here is
    an example of it working. By using a lower core clock rate, and Vcore voltage,
    some power will be saved. This is implemented by changing the multiplier
    between the values 6 and 9, with the processor I just made up.
    In this example, the CPU input clock is a constant 266MHz.

    CPU usage = 0%, system setting 266MHz * 6 = 1596MHz

    CPU usage = 100%, system setting 266MHz * 9 = 2394MHz

    The multiplier on a processor, has an upper limit ("locked") and unless
    you have some Extreme or ES (engineering sample) processor, then changing
    the multiplier alone will not get you to 3200MHz. A $79 processor will
    not have an unlocked multiplier. In my example above, the locked value
    is "9".

    To complete your overclocking journey, the CPU input clock must be changed.
    Solving the equation with my made-up sample processor above

    system setting 356MHz * 9 = 3200MHz

    OK, in my example processor, I need to change the clock from the
    clock generator chip, from 266MHz to 356MHz, using the highest
    available multiplier value. How can I do that ?

    There will be no setting in the BIOS to change the input clock.

    There will be no "Vista Software" to change the clock generator.
    Bill Gates didn't write any software like that.

    It is possible to change *some* clock generator chips, with the Clockgen
    program from cpuid.com . Here is the list of clock generator chips supported.

    Supported PLLs (Clockgen 1.0.5.3)
    --------------

    Cypress CY28346
    Cypress CY28551
    ICS 94228
    ICS 950403
    ICS 950405
    ICS 951402
    ICS 951412
    ICS 951416
    ICS 951422
    ICS 951446
    ICS 951462
    ICS 952505
    ICS 952607
    ICS 952618
    ICS 954119
    ICS 954123
    ICS 954148
    ICS 954519
    ICS 9PLRS509
    ICS 9PLRS587
    IDT CV107
    nVidia nForce2
    nVidia nForce3 150
    nVidia nForce3 250
    nVidia nForce4
    nVidia nForce4 SLI IE
    nVidia Geforce 6100/6150
    nVidia nForce 590
    Realtek RTM 360-408
    Realtek RTM 560-266
    Realtek RTM 862-410
    Realtek RTM 865-461
    Winbond W83195-BG101

    Now, it appears your machine is an Nvidia 7050 chipset.
    Or, perhaps, Nvidia MCP73. A number of Nvidia chipsets use
    some kind of built-in clock synthesis, so a fancy separate
    clock generator chip may not be present. The author of Clockgen
    has programmed in support for some of the Nvidia chipsets. But
    in the above list, the 7050 and MCP73 are not listed. (I think
    the last person who tried to use Clockgen with an unsupported chipset,
    didn't observe a change when the settings were changed in Clockgen.)

    http://us.acer.com/public/page38.do?sp=page9&dau55.oid=35926&UserCtxParam=0&GroupCtxParam=0&
    dctx1=25&CountryISOCtxParam=US&LanguageISOCtxParam=en&ctx3=-1&ctx4=United+States&crc=657272053

    You can try Clockgen if you want, but I cannot guarantee any
    results.

    The second issue, is changing the Vcore voltage setting. The
    BIOS may not have an option to do that (because it is a
    prebuilt computer). It is possible it can be done in software
    (maybe RMClock can do it), but at least on my RMClock dialog
    box right now, the option is not present. Even though I can
    change the Vcore setting in the BIOS if I want. Your processor
    is a more recent one than mine, so maybe you'll have better
    luck.

    Without the ability to increase the Vcore a little bit, there
    may be a limit to how far the CPU input clock can be increased,
    before the computer crashes. (And if the computer crashes while
    Windows is running, your boot disk could become corrupted. Before
    any overclocking experiments, you should do a full backup of the
    hard drive.)

    All of this is ignoring other issues, such as

    1) Motherboard Vcore design cannot sustain the extra power
    being drawn by an overclocked processor. Enthusiast boards
    can have 8 phase Vcore circuits (the more money you pay, the
    more phases it can have). Prebuilt computers might have
    3 phase or 4 phase power.

    2) CPU cooling may only be suited to nominal speed operation.
    Overclocking increases the CPU temperature too much, or causes
    the cooling system to run in a noisy fashion. Due to custom
    mechanical design features, using an aftermarket cooler won't
    work (it will not fit). Some HP and Dell computers use a plastic
    shroud over the processor, and it is tied to the back of the
    computer case.

    3) The ATX power supply may only have a small amount of reserve
    power. There may not be enough DC power output, to sustain a
    video card upgrade or a significant level of CPU overclocking.
    You'll have to look at the label on the supply, and figure that
    out.

    For most people, if they ask about overclocking, I recommend building
    your own computer. You get to choose each exact component, whether
    the motherboard has 3 phase or 8 phase power, whether the computer
    case is big enough for your new GTX280 video card, whether the box
    gets a 650W ATX power supply, and whether a $79 or a $300 processor is
    used. Then you are in "ultimate control" of the box, and can
    overclock if you want.

    When you buy a retail motherboard, virtually all the manufacturers
    make available a downloadable manual for the motherboard. In the
    manual, they show the BIOS settings available, such as adjustable
    CPU input clock, adjustable Vcore voltage, EIST enable/disable, and
    so on. The motherboard in a prebuilt computer is seldom documented
    in any useful fashion, and the BIOS usually has a minimal set of
    adjustments. And this is why I have to propose the use of Clockgen,
    to make some changes. If your board is not supported in Clockgen,
    then the multiplier setting alone, will not give you an overclock.
    The programmability of the multiplier, is for power reduction
    when the computer is idle.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 23, 2008