    and remove "takethisout.")

    Thanks,

    Eddie

    Ed Maier, May 29, 2010

  2. Ed Maier

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 5/29/2010 5:53 PM, Ed Maier wrote:
    > Won't take a charge, nada. Works okay with the power adapter, though.
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
    > and remove "takethisout.")
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Eddie

    How old is the battery? If old enough, it could be worn out. Also
    could be a failure in the netbook's battery charging circuit... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 29, 2010

  3. Ed Maier

    Ed Maier Guest

    On 5/29/2010 5:14 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
    > On 5/29/2010 5:53 PM, Ed Maier wrote:
    >> Won't take a charge, nada. Works okay with the power adapter, though.
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
    >> and remove "takethisout.")
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Eddie

    > How old is the battery? If old enough, it could be worn out. Also could
    > be a failure in the netbook's battery charging circuit... Ben Myers

    I'm convinced it's the charging circuit. One day it was working
    perfectly; the next day it was kaput. It shuts down immediately when I
    pull the external power jack, and it is by no means a normal shutdown,
    sort of like suddenly unplugging your desktop. When I power it back up,
    it goes through the disk scan routine. (Note: this one is the version
    with the solid state drive.)

    Pulled the battery, cleaned the contacts, and reseated it with no luck.
    I think it's time for ..... .....an iPad?
    :)

    Eddie

    Ed Maier, May 30, 2010
  4. Ed Maier

    Guest

    On Sat, 29 May 2010 21:19:15 -0500, Ed Maier
    <> wrote:

    >On 5/29/2010 5:14 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
    >> On 5/29/2010 5:53 PM, Ed Maier wrote:
    >>> Won't take a charge, nada. Works okay with the power adapter, though.
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
    >>> and remove "takethisout.")
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Eddie

    >> How old is the battery? If old enough, it could be worn out. Also could
    >> be a failure in the netbook's battery charging circuit... Ben Myers

    >I'm convinced it's the charging circuit. One day it was working
    >perfectly; the next day it was kaput. It shuts down immediately when I
    >pull the external power jack, and it is by no means a normal shutdown,
    >sort of like suddenly unplugging your desktop. When I power it back up,
    >it goes through the disk scan routine. (Note: this one is the version
    >with the solid state drive.)
    >
    >Pulled the battery, cleaned the contacts, and reseated it with no luck.
    >I think it's time for ..... .....an iPad?
    >:)
    >
    >Eddie
    >
    >Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
    > and remove "takethisout.")

    I strongly suspect one cell shorted. Voltage too low to run the
    computer. I had a Dell do that. A couple weeks after the battery
    would not run the computer, the system started shutting down, then
    would not boot untill I removed the battery. I tore the battery apart
    and replaced the bad cell with a good cell from another dead battery
    and it's been working fine since.

    , May 30, 2010
  5. Ed Maier

    Guest

    Typical behavior for Acer POS. Its beginning to die. Better start
    looking for a replacement.

    <> wrote:

    >On 5/29/2010 5:14 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
    >> On 5/29/2010 5:53 PM, Ed Maier wrote:
    >>> Won't take a charge, nada. Works okay with the power adapter, though.
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>
    >>> Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
    >>> and remove "takethisout.")
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Eddie

    >> How old is the battery? If old enough, it could be worn out. Also could
    >> be a failure in the netbook's battery charging circuit... Ben Myers

    >I'm convinced it's the charging circuit. One day it was working
    >perfectly; the next day it was kaput. It shuts down immediately when I
    >pull the external power jack, and it is by no means a normal shutdown,
    >sort of like suddenly unplugging your desktop. When I power it back up,
    >it goes through the disk scan routine. (Note: this one is the version
    >with the solid state drive.)
    >
    >Pulled the battery, cleaned the contacts, and reseated it with no luck.
    >I think it's time for ..... .....an iPad?
    >:)
    >
    >Eddie
    >
    >Unmunge my addy to reply by email. (Change yahoo.com to sbcglobal.net
    > and remove "takethisout.")

    , Jun 2, 2010
  6. Ed Maier

    Ed Maier Guest

    On 6/2/2010 8:17 AM, wrote:
    > Typical behavior for Acer POS. Its beginning to die. Better start
    > looking for a replacement.

    I guess it's all a matter of perspective. The first desktop I ever owned
    was an Acer 486SX-60. I was wanting it to die so I could move up to the
    Pentiums, but it never did. Sold it to a friend at work, he later gave
    it to his son, and the damn thing still works! (And it still runs Win
    3.1.) I understand he still fires it up on occasion.

    Eddie

    Ed Maier, Jun 2, 2010
  7. Ed Maier

    Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:17:37 -0400, wrote:

    >Typical behavior for Acer POS. Its beginning to die. Better start
    >looking for a replacement.

    Acer is not the second largest computer manufacturer in the world
    without good reason. Like anyone else's product, their cheap stuff is
    cheap - but their good stuff is as good as, or better than,(most of)
    their competition.

    , Jun 3, 2010
  8. Ed Maier

    Guest

    On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 20:48:34 -0400, wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:17:37 -0400, wrote:
    >
    >>Typical behavior for Acer POS. Its beginning to die. Better start
    >>looking for a replacement.
    >>

    >Acer is not the second largest computer manufacturer in the world
    >without good reason. Like anyone else's product, their cheap stuff is
    >cheap - but their good stuff is as good as, or better than,(most of)
    >their competition.

    That don't mean they're good. I had two, top of the liners and both
    failed after a year. Repair/tech support was the pitts. I think acer
    has a lot of "one time" purchasers.

    , Jun 3, 2010
  9. Ed Maier

    Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 08:17:19 -0400, wrote:

    >On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 20:48:34 -0400, wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 09:17:37 -0400, wrote:
    >>
    >>>Typical behavior for Acer POS. Its beginning to die. Better start
    >>>looking for a replacement.
    >>>

    >>Acer is not the second largest computer manufacturer in the world
    >>without good reason. Like anyone else's product, their cheap stuff is
    >>cheap - but their good stuff is as good as, or better than,(most of)
    >>their competition.

    >That don't mean they're good. I had two, top of the liners and both
    >failed after a year. Repair/tech support was the pitts. I think acer
    >has a lot of "one time" purchasers.

    Well, I sell computers - and I sell a LOT of Acers. I don't see many
    quality issues. I see more HP/Compaq problems than Acer problems (and
    I sell a lot less of them)

    Quite a few customers are buying acers to replace 7 year old acers.
    (which are still working just fine, thank you)

    , Jun 3, 2010
  10. Ed Maier

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 6/3/2010 2:30 PM, wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 08:17:19 -0400, wrote:

    >>> Acer is not the second largest computer manufacturer in the world
    >>> without good reason. Like anyone else's product, their cheap stuff is
    >>> cheap - but their good stuff is as good as, or better than,(most of)
    >>> their competition.

    >> That don't mean they're good. I had two, top of the liners and both
    >> failed after a year. Repair/tech support was the pitts. I think acer
    >> has a lot of "one time" purchasers.

    > Well, I sell computers - and I sell a LOT of Acers. I don't see many
    > quality issues. I see more HP/Compaq problems than Acer problems (and
    > I sell a lot less of them)
    >
    > Quite a few customers are buying acers to replace 7 year old acers.
    > (which are still working just fine, thank you)

    Well, for the most part I avoid selling HPaq computers, too. The
    exceptions are XW4000 series workstations which are powerful and quiet,
    much quieter than comparable Dell or other higher end systems.

    You can take all the computers of all brands sold in mass market retail
    stores and toss them in the dumpster. There is a reason why every name
    brand manufacturer has both consumer and business systems. Consumer
    computers are assembled from cheaper parts, with the realization that if
    they fail, the company can deal with consumers on a one-off basis
    without serious repercussions. Business-class computers are generally
    sturdier and made with better quality parts, with the realization that
    if a big corporation buys a few thousand and they don't work right, they
    will be sitting on the loading dock to be returned to the manufacturer.
    This is something of an over-generalization, but it has largely held
    true for all of this century and most of the '90s.

    So if the OP bought the netbook from a mass market retailer, the netbook
    is probably a piece of crap. But, then, I think that all netbooks are
    throwaway pieces of crap. For a couple more pounds of weight and many
    more bucks, I would prefer to have a name-brand 12" notebook computer
    with fewer compromises in LCD quality and a keyboard with
    reasonably-sized keys. Again, I am tarring and feathering all netbooks.
    But that's my opinion, FWIW, after many decades in this business...
    Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Jun 3, 2010
  11. Ed Maier

    Guest

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 18:27:12 -0400, Ben Myers <>
    wrote:

    >On 6/3/2010 2:30 PM, wrote:

    >>> That don't mean they're good. I had two, top of the liners and both
    >>> failed after a year. Repair/tech support was the pitts. I think acer
    >>> has a lot of "one time" purchasers.

    >> Well, I sell computers - and I sell a LOT of Acers. I don't see many
    >> quality issues. I see more HP/Compaq problems than Acer problems (and
    >> I sell a lot less of them)
    >>
    >> Quite a few customers are buying acers to replace 7 year old acers.
    >> (which are still working just fine, thank you)

    >Well, for the most part I avoid selling HPaq computers, too. The
    >exceptions are XW4000 series workstations which are powerful and quiet,
    >much quieter than comparable Dell or other higher end systems.
    >
    >You can take all the computers of all brands sold in mass market retail
    >stores and toss them in the dumpster. There is a reason why every name
    >brand manufacturer has both consumer and business systems. Consumer
    >computers are assembled from cheaper parts, with the realization that if
    >they fail, the company can deal with consumers on a one-off basis
    >without serious repercussions. Business-class computers are generally
    >sturdier and made with better quality parts, with the realization that
    >if a big corporation buys a few thousand and they don't work right, they
    >will be sitting on the loading dock to be returned to the manufacturer.
    > This is something of an over-generalization, but it has largely held
    >true for all of this century and most of the '90s.
    >
    >So if the OP bought the netbook from a mass market retailer, the netbook
    >is probably a piece of crap. But, then, I think that all netbooks are
    >throwaway pieces of crap. For a couple more pounds of weight and many
    >more bucks, I would prefer to have a name-brand 12" notebook computer
    >with fewer compromises in LCD quality and a keyboard with
    >reasonably-sized keys. Again, I am tarring and feathering all netbooks.
    > But that's my opinion, FWIW, after many decades in this business...
    >Ben Myers

    I'd tend to agree with you - the poster should have said it's a cheap
    POS Netbook (left Acer right out of the equation)

    , Jun 4, 2010
  12. Ed Maier

    Ed Maier Guest

    On 6/3/2010 8:48 PM, wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 18:27:12 -0400, Ben Myers<>
    > wrote:

    >>> Well, I sell computers - and I sell a LOT of Acers. I don't see
    >>> many quality issues. I see more HP/Compaq problems than Acer
    >>> problems (and I sell a lot less of them)
    >>>
    >>> Quite a few customers are buying acers to replace 7 year old
    >>> acers. (which are still working just fine, thank you)

    >> Well, for the most part I avoid selling HPaq computers, too. The
    >> exceptions are XW4000 series workstations which are powerful and
    >> quiet, much quieter than comparable Dell or other higher end
    >> systems.
    >>
    >> You can take all the computers of all brands sold in mass market
    >> retail stores and toss them in the dumpster. There is a reason why
    >> every name brand manufacturer has both consumer and business
    >> systems. Consumer computers are assembled from cheaper parts, with
    >> the realization that if they fail, the company can deal with
    >> consumers on a one-off basis without serious repercussions.
    >> Business-class computers are generally sturdier and made with
    >> better quality parts, with the realization that if a big
    >> corporation buys a few thousand and they don't work right, they
    >> will be sitting on the loading dock to be returned to the
    >> manufacturer. This is something of an over-generalization, but it
    >> has largely held true for all of this century and most of the
    >> '90s.
    >>
    >> So if the OP bought the netbook from a mass market retailer, the
    >> netbook is probably a piece of crap. But, then, I think that all
    >> netbooks are throwaway pieces of crap. For a couple more pounds of
    >> weight and many more bucks, I would prefer to have a name-brand 12"
    >> notebook computer with fewer compromises in LCD quality and a
    >> keyboard with reasonably-sized keys. Again, I am tarring and
    >> feathering all netbooks. But that's my opinion, FWIW, after many
    >> decades in this business... Ben Myers

    > I'd tend to agree with you - the poster should have said it's a
    > cheap POS Netbook (left Acer right out of the equation)

    You guys are the ones saying the Acer netbook is a POS. I never brought
    it up*. (I have a friend on another group that bought three for his kids
    and they're *all* still working.) Something happened to mine and I
    described it and inquired if anyone experienced a similar problem,
    hoping there might be a simple fix. The whole situation is surreal
    because I seldom have problems with hardware.

    BTW, my current desktop is an HP P6212f, my wife's is a Compaq SR1834NX,
    I have an iMac 20 right behind me, and a Toshiba notebook in the other
    room. No problems with any of it.

    Ed

    *I did compare it to an Esteban guitar on a completely unrelated group.

    Ed Maier, Jun 4, 2010
  13. Ed Maier

    pollard1988

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    In your heart
    I guess the battery is too old. Kindly remove the bettary and after 5 min later insart it again in your laptop. and try to change it. It might works.

    pollard1988, Jul 31, 2012