Acer turns it's back on 2+ year old laptops

Discussion in 'Acer' started by Paul H, Jul 6, 2009.

  1. Paul H

    Paul H Guest

    I need a newer Vista Home Premium than what came on my Acer 5610-2273
    laptop. The early non-SP1 copy gave me trouble from day 1. See Acer's
    response to my problem (below), bad English and all.

    I wonder if Windows 7 will have drivers for this laptop? How can I find
    out, now?

    ==================================

    Recently you requested personal assistance from our on-line support
    center. Below is a summary of your request and our response.

    If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it
    within the next 7 days.

    Thank you for allowing us to be of service to you.

    To access your question from our support site, click the following
    link or paste it into your web browser.
    http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/ac...myq_upd.php&p_iid=597842&p_created=1246861948

    Subject
    Current copy of Vista Home Premium

    Discussion Thread
    Response (Manish) - 07/06/2009 05:11 AM
    Dear Paul H,

    Thank you for contacting Acer America. Ill be happy to assist you.

    I understand that you are facing an issue with machine.

    We see that your system is out of Warranty and is not eligible for support,
    you can search for updates and solutions online at http://Acerpanam.com/ .

    Incase you do not find the solution you are looking for, online. I recommend
    that you contact a local technician in order to resolve the issue as we have
    limitations supporting Out of warranty systems.

    If you need further support concerning this issue, We do offer a phone-based
    support options for Out of Warranty products.

    "Answers by Acer", is a convenient and affordable fee based technical
    support service that is great for answering questions or technical issues
    once the product warranty has expired.

    With your purchase of the service you would have instant access to our
    Highly Trained technicians.

    You may call 1.866-621-2237. However, it's a fee based support. Calling
    cards are available for 30 minutes ( $59.99 ), 90 minutes ( $129.99 ), or 15
    issues ( $199.99 ) and the validity will be 1 year.

    For further clarifications please feel free to visit our web site
    http://Acerpanam.com/

    Thank you for contacting Acer technical support.

    Have a great Time.

    Respectfully,
    Acer America
    Online Technical Support

    Customer (Paul H) - 07/06/2009 01:32 AM
    My Aspire 5610-2273 came with Vista Home Premium without service pack 1.
    Adding it was impossible at first, then a year later it did work. It has
    never been right - all my other laptops with Vista are more normal. I have
    4 other Acers, and if I can load a fresh current copy of Vista on this one,
    I'll give this one to my son and buy a new one with Windows 7. Can I obtain
    or purchase a CD (acknowledging that it is for a pre-installed laptop) that
    will install Vista Home Premium including service pack 1?

    Auto-Response - 07/06/2009 01:32 AM
    Title: System Issues After Installing Windows Updates in Windows XP
    Link:
    http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/acer.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=256&p_created=1197640201

    Title: Ordering Acer Recovery Media/Discs
    Link:
    http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/acer.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=13&p_created=1195159510

    Title: Battery Life
    Link:
    http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/acer.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=18&p_created=1195663644

    Question Reference #090706-000044
    Product Level 1: Notebook
    Product Level 2: Aspire
    Product Level 3: Aspire 5610Z
    Category Level 1: Windows XP/Vista Issues
    Date Created: 07/06/2009 01:32 AM
    Last Updated: 07/06/2009 05:11 AM
    Operating System: Windows Vista

    Serial Number
    LXAXL0X[snip]11601

    [---001:003064:25430---]
    Paul H, Jul 6, 2009

  2. Paul H

    John Doue Guest

    Paul H wrote:
> [...]
    > will install Vista Home Premium including service pack 1?
    >
    > Auto-Response - 07/06/2009 01:32 AM
    > Title: System Issues After Installing Windows Updates in Windows XP
    > Link:
    > http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/acer.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=256&p_created=1197640201
    >
    > Title: Ordering Acer Recovery Media/Discs
    > Link:
    > http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/acer.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=13&p_created=1195159510
    >
    > Title: Battery Life
    > Link:
    > http://acer.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/acer.cfg/php/enduser/popup_adp.php?p_faqid=18&p_created=1195663644
    >

    > Question Reference #090706-000044
    > Product Level 1: Notebook
    > Product Level 2: Aspire
    > Product Level 3: Aspire 5610Z
    > Category Level 1: Windows XP/Vista Issues

    In my view, you are expecting way too much from a manufacturer. First,
    your machine is out of warranty, then, this is an OS issue.

    I think you would be better off explaining *very specifically* the
    issues you have with Vista on a Vista news-group (to the extent they do
    not relate to Acer drivers) and/or researching those issues on the Internet.

    You have to realize that sentences like "It has never been right - all
    my other laptops with Vista are more normal" do not do much to get
    people involved in your problems.

    Solving problems starts with precisely identifying them. Doing this will
    help you a lot.

    Good luck

    --
    John Doue
    John Doue, Jul 6, 2009

  3. Paul H

    BillW50 Guest

    In news:4a520015$0$23749$,
    Paul H typed on Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:44:46 -0500:
    > I need a newer Vista Home Premium than what came on my Acer 5610-2273
    > laptop. The early non-SP1 copy gave me trouble from day 1. See
    > Acer's response to my problem (below), bad English and all.
    >
    > I wonder if Windows 7 will have drivers for this laptop? How can I
    > find out, now?...

    Hi Paul! Will Windows 7 have all of the drivers? Well you can download
    Windows 7 for free and see for yourself. I personally would buy a spare
    hard drive and swap out your original and try Windows 7 that way. Thus
    no chance that Windows 7 screwing up your original HDD.

    If you don't like that idea, you can repartition your HDD to give at
    least 16GB for a Windows 7 install. Although repartitioning programs can
    corrupt your files. So take precautions.

    --
    Bill
    Windows XP Home SP3 (5.1.2600)
    BillW50, Jul 6, 2009
  4. Paul H

    Pete D Guest

    "BillW50" <> wrote in message
    > In news:4a520015$0$23749$,
    > Paul H typed on Mon, 6 Jul 2009 08:44:46 -0500:
    >> I need a newer Vista Home Premium than what came on my Acer 5610-2273
    >> laptop. The early non-SP1 copy gave me trouble from day 1. See
    >> Acer's response to my problem (below), bad English and all.
    >>
    >> I wonder if Windows 7 will have drivers for this laptop? How can I
    >> find out, now?...

    > Hi Paul! Will Windows 7 have all of the drivers? Well you can download
    > Windows 7 for free and see for yourself. I personally would buy a spare
    > hard drive and swap out your original and try Windows 7 that way. Thus no
    > chance that Windows 7 screwing up your original HDD.
    >
    > If you don't like that idea, you can repartition your HDD to give at least
    > 16GB for a Windows 7 install. Although repartitioning programs can corrupt
    > your files. So take precautions.

    Safe partitionaing is the best kind. ;-)
    Pete D, Jul 6, 2009
  5. What's the big deal? Install Vista (Service Pack Zero) and then upgrade
    to Service Pack 1. You have not made clear that you have a real
    problem, or what it is.

    Barry Watzman, Jul 7, 2009