    and end up with "There was a problem installing this hardware, The data is
    invalid." Any way to correct this?

    Thanks

    Falco, Nov 25, 2006

  2. Falco

    murph1012 Guest

    "Falco" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I recently upgraded from P4 2.53 to a 3 gig Prescott on IC7 (running @
    > 3526:). Since then after every reboot/startup I get hardware wizard
    > wanting to install a ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I click next and let it run
    > it's coarse and end up with "There was a problem installing this hardware,
    > The data is invalid." Any way to correct this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Update your HAL (hardware abstraction layer) on your computer.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/234558/en-us

    murph1012, Nov 25, 2006

  3. Falco

    Falco Guest

    Still get the same message, Murph, "The data is invalid." I should have
    mentioned that I'm running XP Pro with sp2 and your link was for win 2000
    fix. Not sure if that makes a diff or not. Thanks though

    Falco, Nov 26, 2006
  4. Falco

    Guest

    Check your system bios for an ACPI option. Make sure it's
    enabled. Or, if it's enabled, try disabling it and see if the error
    message goes away.

    If nothing else works your only option may be to completely
    reinstall WinXP.

    "Falco" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Still get the same message, Murph, "The data is invalid." I should have
    > mentioned that I'm running XP Pro with sp2 and your link was for win 2000
    > fix. Not sure if that makes a diff or not. Thanks though
    >
    > "murph1012" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Falco" <> wrote in message
    > >> I recently upgraded from P4 2.53 to a 3 gig Prescott on IC7 (running
    > >> @ 3526:). Since then after every reboot/startup I get hardware wizard
    > >> wanting to install a ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I click next and let it run
    > >> it's coarse and end up with "There was a problem installing this
    > >> hardware, The data is invalid." Any way to correct this?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks
    > >>

    > > Update your HAL (hardware abstraction layer) on your computer.

    , Nov 26, 2006

    @
    > 3526:). Since then after every reboot/startup I get hardware wizard

    wanting
    > to install a ACPI Multiprocessor PC. I click next and let it run it's

    coarse
    > and end up with "There was a problem installing this hardware, The data is
    > invalid." Any way to correct this?
    >
    > Thanks

    Disable hyperthreading in BIOS.

    VideoReDo Sucks, Nov 26, 2006
  6. Falco

    Falco Guest

    Isn't hyperthreading a good thing though?

    Falco, Nov 26, 2006
  7. Falco

    R. J. Salvi Guest

    Disable HT and try reinstalling the multiprocessor driver. The
    multiprocessor driver should always be installed *prior to* activating HT in
    the BIOS.

    --
    RJ

    R. J. Salvi, Nov 26, 2006
  8. Falco

    Falco Guest

    Still a no go. Even with HT turned off I still get Mr. Wizard popping up
    after rebooting with the same results.
    It seems my only fix is full reinstall as Blahblah mentioned in an earlier
    reply which probably isn't a bad idea. Ol' junior hasn't had a full format
    enema in almost 2 years anywho. Thanks for all the help!

    Falco

    Falco, Nov 27, 2006
  9. Falco

    Guest

    Falco <> wrote:
    > Still a no go. Even with HT turned off I still get Mr. Wizard popping up
    > after rebooting with the same results.
    > It seems my only fix is full reinstall as Blahblah mentioned in an earlier
    > reply which probably isn't a bad idea. Ol' junior hasn't had a full format
    > enema in almost 2 years anywho. Thanks for all the help!

    a full install after two years isn't a terrible idea, but you could just
    do a REPAIR install, not a full install. That'll get the right hal
    installed. And you SHOULD have hyperthreading ENABLED before you do this,
    so it will see that it's a multiprocessor.

    if you're adventuresome, google around for unoffical ways to alter the hal
    by hand, it can be done. Note that after the repair install all hotfixes
    will be gone, you'll need to go to windows update and get 'em all again
    (or better, check out autopatcher).

    , Nov 27, 2006
  10. Falco

    sisco2323

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    I JUST REFORMATTED MY DRIVE WITH THE PROCESSOR IN THE COMPUTER AND IT TOOK CARE OF THE PROBLEM

    sisco2323, Apr 11, 2008
  11. Falco

    deep32

    Joined:
    Jun 19, 2008
    Messages:
    2
    Hi

    deep32, Jun 19, 2008
  12. Falco

    sohel08

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    Messages:
    20
    Re: Define Style

    Did you follow the instuctions http://www.abit.com.tw/page/uk/download/guide.php
    Make sure you clear your CMOS Data.
    Try setting your BIOS to Load Fail-Safe Defaults see if that works. Check your BIOS settings carefully Then try Load Optimized Defaults, check your BIOS settings carefully.

    If that doesn't work flash back to your previous working version.

    sohel08, Jul 11, 2008
  13. Falco

    wolfensteed

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Uniprocessor to multiprocessor

    As mentioned above, when switching from uniprocessor to multiprocessor, you need to tell Windows that you are using a different HAL. ie. ACPI Multiprocessor PC. If you want to reinstall (or Repair) the OS, that's your call. The easier, quicker way would be to use Microsofts DevCon for this. A really nice, detailed set of instructions on how to do this can be found at the following: http://pimpmyrig.wordpress.com/2008/08/23/article-acpi-uniprocessor-to-multiprocessor-hal-upgrade/

    wolfensteed, Sep 29, 2008