Actual power consumption of mid-range PC

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Jon D, Jul 21, 2006.

  1. Jon D

    Jon D Guest

    What power does a real-life average-to-middle modern PC system unit
    consume? I want to keep the power consumption down.

    Don't know much about current AMD cpu's or the roadmaps but something
    I would tend to go for something at the "value" end of the market
    provided it's not a dead end in 6 months!

    I would like a real-life figure rather than fill in a consumptio
    chart and make various assumptions.

    -----

    My existing PC is:
    Athlon 2100+ socket-A
    1GB SDRAM
    air-cooled VIA mobo
    air-cooled graphics GeForce2 card
    few hard drives
    It consumes about 115W (under load it's a bit more).

    It's 17 inch CRT uses about 65 to 70 W.
    Printers & scanners are extra.
    Jon D, Jul 21, 2006

  2. Jon D

    Jon D Guest

    Please ignore. I thought my system crash meant my previous attempt at
    posting had got lost.

    Jon D, Jul 21, 2006

  3. Jon D wrote:
    > Please ignore. I thought my system crash meant my previous attempt at
    > posting had got lost.
    >
    > On 21 Jul 2006, Jon D<> wrote:
    >
    >> What power does a real-life average-to-middle modern PC system unit
    >> consume? I want to keep the power consumption down.
    >>
    >> Don't know much about current AMD cpu's or the roadmaps but something
    >> I would tend to go for something at the "value" end of the market
    >> provided it's not a dead end in 6 months!
    >>
    >> I would like a real-life figure rather than fill in a consumptio
    >> chart and make various assumptions.
    >>
    >> -----
    >>
    >> My existing PC is:
    >> Athlon 2100+ socket-A
    >> 1GB SDRAM
    >> air-cooled VIA mobo
    >> air-cooled graphics GeForce2 card
    >> few hard drives
    >> It consumes about 115W (under load it's a bit more).
    >>
    >> It's 17 inch CRT uses about 65 to 70 W.
    >> Printers & scanners are extra.

    Obviously you need a bigger power supply ..... ;-)

    --
    Cheerz - Brownz
    http://www.brownz.org/
    Brownz @ Work, Jul 21, 2006
  4. Jon D

    RRS Guest

    My existing PC:
    Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939
    2GB DDR SDRAM
    air-cooled Nvidia mobo
    fan-cooled graphics ATI X800GTO video card
    3 hard drives
    3 case fans
    DVD-RW
    DVD-ROM
    DSL Modem
    8 port switch
    19 inch LCD.
    75W Speaker system

    Total 216 watts +/-

    RRS, Jul 22, 2006
  5. Jon D

    Alex Coleman Guest

    On 22 Jul 2006, RRS<> wrote:

    > My existing PC:
    > Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939
    > 2GB DDR SDRAM
    > air-cooled Nvidia mobo
    > fan-cooled graphics ATI X800GTO video card
    > 3 hard drives
    > 3 case fans
    > DVD-RW
    > DVD-ROM
    > DSL Modem
    > 8 port switch
    > 19 inch LCD.
    > 75W Speaker system
    >
    > Total 216 watts +/-

    That power consumption figure seems impressively low.

    No chance of an error anywhere?

    Alex Coleman, Jul 22, 2006
  6. Jon D

    RRS Guest

    I guess there's always that possibility?

    Here's some other reading. They are measured through a APC Back-ups XS 1500
    UPS
    using their software.

    Computer only 155 w
    + monitor 181 w
    + DSL Modem 190 w
    + Switch 198 w
    + Speakers 216 w

    these reading are measured at idle, pretty much.

    playing a video with sound cranked up 224 watts.

    RRS, Jul 22, 2006
  7. Jon D

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:01:46 +0100, Alex Coleman wrote:

    > On 22 Jul 2006, RRS<> wrote:
    >>
    >> My existing PC:
    >> Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939
    >> 2GB DDR SDRAM
    >> air-cooled Nvidia mobo
    >> fan-cooled graphics ATI X800GTO video card
    >> 3 hard drives
    >> 3 case fans
    >> DVD-RW
    >> DVD-ROM
    >> DSL Modem
    >> 8 port switch
    >> 19 inch LCD.
    >> 75W Speaker system
    >>
    >> Total 216 watts +/-

    > That power consumption figure seems impressively low.
    >
    > No chance of an error anywhere?

    He just forgot to put 200W behind the +/-.:)
    Total 216 watts +/- 200W

    Wes Newell, Jul 22, 2006
  8. Jon D

    RRS Guest

    Check out this article

    "RRS" <> wrote in message
    >I guess there's always that possibility?
    >
    > Here's some other reading. They are measured through a APC Back-ups XS
    > 1500 UPS
    > using their software.
    >
    > Computer only 155 w
    > + monitor 181 w
    > + DSL Modem 190 w
    > + Switch 198 w
    > + Speakers 216 w
    >
    > these reading are measured at idle, pretty much.
    >
    > playing a video with sound cranked up 224 watts.
    >

    > "Alex Coleman" <> wrote in message
    >> On 22 Jul 2006, RRS<> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> My existing PC:
    >>> Athlon 64 X2 4400+ socket 939
    >>> 2GB DDR SDRAM
    >>> air-cooled Nvidia mobo
    >>> fan-cooled graphics ATI X800GTO video card
    >>> 3 hard drives
    >>> 3 case fans
    >>> DVD-RW
    >>> DVD-ROM
    >>> DSL Modem
    >>> 8 port switch
    >>> 19 inch LCD.

    RRS, Jul 22, 2006
  9. Jon D

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 12:29:24 -0500, RRS wrote:

    > Check out this article
    > http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1937989,00.asp

    I checked it out. Wouldn't believe a thing these guys say. Showed charts
    with Intel speedstep running while the AMD cpu's CnQ was disabled. And
    then when they explained how it works they got that wrong. Their test
    indicated to me that it was still not working when they supposedly enabled
    it. probably because all they did was enable it in the bios and not the
    OS. Is most of their data correct? I sure wouldn't trust it.

    Wes Newell, Jul 22, 2006