    How do I choose between different voltages? Or should I simply match the
    voltage of what I have now?

    Daddy

    Daddy, Feb 1, 2012

  2. Daddy

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 15:15:17 -0500, Daddy <> wrote:

    >I'm thinking of adding RAM to my Studio XPS 8100 desktop. I'd like to
    >buy a pair of 4GB sticks.
    >
    >Crucial sells two otherwise identical models except that one is listed
    >as 1.35 volts and the other is 1.5 volts. Both the same price.
    >
    >How do I choose between different voltages? Or should I simply match the
    >voltage of what I have now?
    >
    >Daddy

    Spec out your desktop on Crucial and just pick whatever they offer for
    your pc. If they say either will work, don't worry. If you are
    really paranoid, then of course match what you have.

    RnR, Feb 1, 2012

  3. Daddy

    Boris Guest

    Daddy <> wrote in news:jgc6g8$eru$:

    > I'm thinking of adding RAM to my Studio XPS 8100 desktop. I'd like to
    > buy a pair of 4GB sticks.
    >
    > Crucial sells two otherwise identical models except that one is listed
    > as 1.35 volts and the other is 1.5 volts. Both the same price.
    >
    > How do I choose between different voltages? Or should I simply match
    > the voltage of what I have now?
    >
    > Daddy

    Hi,

    I just added memory to my XPS8100 in November, and had the same
    question. 1.35v just uses less power, and will work, I have been told
    and have read. None the less, I wanted to match the voltage of with
    what was already in the machine (I'm overly cautious), but no where in
    the specs could I find what I already had. Since the 1.35v is newer
    than the 1.5v version, and my machine was already more than a year old,
    I punted and assumed I had the 1.5v ram, so I ordered the 1.5v. All
    worked fine.

    The 1.35v and the 1.5v that was offered at the time were the same price,
    so it was an easy choice. I see that they are still the same price as
    in November.

    If Crucial lists both voltages, then either should work just fine, too.

    Boris, Feb 3, 2012
  4. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    Boris wrote:
    > Daddy <> wrote in news:jgc6g8$eru$:
    >
    >> I'm thinking of adding RAM to my Studio XPS 8100 desktop. I'd like to
    >> buy a pair of 4GB sticks.
    >>
    >> Crucial sells two otherwise identical models except that one is listed
    >> as 1.35 volts and the other is 1.5 volts. Both the same price.
    >>
    >> How do I choose between different voltages? Or should I simply match
    >> the voltage of what I have now?
    >>
    >> Daddy

    > Hi,
    >
    > I just added memory to my XPS8100 in November, and had the same
    > question. 1.35v just uses less power, and will work, I have been told
    > and have read. None the less, I wanted to match the voltage of with
    > what was already in the machine (I'm overly cautious), but no where in
    > the specs could I find what I already had. Since the 1.35v is newer
    > than the 1.5v version, and my machine was already more than a year old,
    > I punted and assumed I had the 1.5v ram, so I ordered the 1.5v. All
    > worked fine.
    >
    > The 1.35v and the 1.5v that was offered at the time were the same price,
    > so it was an easy choice. I see that they are still the same price as
    > in November.
    >
    > If Crucial lists both voltages, then either should work just fine, too.

    Thanks. Both will work, but like you, I am cautious and wanted to match
    what was already in my computer.

    This is not the first RAM upgrade for this computer. I've added RAM
    twice before, but in both cases there was only one choice available from
    Crucial (for a 2x2GB kit), so that's what I bought. Now I'm looking for
    a 2x4GB kit, and I discover that I have two choices, differing only in
    their voltages. (I buy 'standard' RAM - not the high performance
    overclocker stuff.)

    I checked my invoice from the last time I bought RAM, and it turns out
    that I got 1.5v. So that's what I'll buy this time.

    Bummer that you can't do anything with the RAM you are replacing. Nobody
    wants to buy it. Nobody wants to take it, even for free.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Feb 3, 2012
  5. Daddy

    rb Guest

    Daddy;1326854 Wrote:
    > Boris wrote:
    > > Daddy <> wrote in news:jgc6g8$eru$:
    > >
    > >> I'm thinking of adding RAM to my Studio XPS 8100 desktop. I'd like t

    > >> buy a pair of 4GB sticks.
    > >>
    > >> Crucial sells two otherwise identical models except that one i

    > listed
    > >> as 1.35 volts and the other is 1.5 volts. Both the same price.
    > >>
    > >> How do I choose between different voltages? Or should I simply match
    > >> the voltage of what I have now?
    > >>
    > >> Daddy

    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I just added memory to my XPS8100 in November, and had the same
    > > question. 1.35v just uses less power, and will work, I have bee

    > told
    > > and have read. None the less, I wanted to match the voltage of with
    > > what was already in the machine (I'm overly cautious), but no wher

    > in
    > > the specs could I find what I already had. Since the 1.35v is newer
    > > than the 1.5v version, and my machine was already more than a yea

    > old,
    > > I punted and assumed I had the 1.5v ram, so I ordered the 1.5v. All
    > > worked fine.
    > >
    > > The 1.35v and the 1.5v that was offered at the time were the sam

    > price,
    > > so it was an easy choice. I see that they are still the same pric

    > as
    > > in November.
    > >
    > > If Crucial lists both voltages, then either should work just fine

    > too.
    >
    > Thanks. Both will work, but like you, I am cautious and wanted to matc
    >
    > what was already in my computer.
    >
    > This is not the first RAM upgrade for this computer. I've added RAM
    > twice before, but in both cases there was only one choice available fro
    >
    > Crucial (for a 2x2GB kit), so that's what I bought. Now I'm looking fo
    >
    > a 2x4GB kit, and I discover that I have two choices, differing only in
    > their voltages. (I buy 'standard' RAM - not the high performance
    > overclocker stuff.)
    >
    > I checked my invoice from the last time I bought RAM, and it turns out
    > that I got 1.5v. So that's what I'll buy this time.
    >
    > Bummer that you can't do anything with the RAM you are replacing. Nobod
    >
    > wants to buy it. Nobody wants to take it, even for free.
    >
    > Daddy

    Always best to use matched sticks.
    Mixing sticks of different voltage can cause system instability,
    or depending on voltages, can damage the lower voltage sticks.

    1.5v is standard voltage for DDR3 (but adding a matched pair of 1.35v i
    ok).
    The 8100 uses DDR3 and supports up to 16GB dual channel.
    Being that you have a matched set of crucial 2x2g,
    theres no need to remove those sticks.
    Simply add the crucial 2x4g in the second bank,
    for a total 12g dual channel

    rb, Feb 4, 2012