    Alex

    Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
    www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk
    Dr Zoidberg, Apr 12, 2006

  2. Dr Zoidberg

    EvilNem Guest

    You can check out the HP website
    (http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/au_en/8_1_79_2942overview.html) on the
    overview, but having recently done the HP Proliant Sever Course myself (and
    worked with these machines for a while) they all have the wonderful HP Array
    Utilities where you can simply expand the array using the config utility.

    The first and primary thing to do is download and install all the latest
    firmware releases, which can be done using the Firmware CD (also
    downloadable from the HP website) or you can do the online firmware updates
    (able to update firmware without resetting) for hardware that's compatible
    with that option (BIOS etc may need to be done from the bootable Firmware CD
    tho)

    After working out the existing array using the utilities, you can simply
    power down the server and slot the drive in a spare bay, it will be detected
    and become part of the existing array, or you can start a new one (depending
    how many drives you add). If you add it to a Raid5 then the server is
    configurable to allow you a fast rebuild, or optimised rebuild where it will
    rebuild the array when the server load is lower.

    Naturally a backup should be taken (Esp if its an SQL server or hosts an SQL
    database) just in case, but having worked on a few of these in a development
    capacity they've never given me problems with the array configuration
    utility.

    E.

    EvilNem, Apr 13, 2006

  3. Dr Zoidberg

    Dr Zoidberg Guest

    EvilNem wrote:
    > You can check out the HP website
    > (http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/au_en/8_1_79_2942overview.html) on
    > the overview, but having recently done the HP Proliant Sever Course
    > myself (and worked with these machines for a while) they all have the
    > wonderful HP Array Utilities where you can simply expand the array
    > using the config utility.
    > The first and primary thing to do is download and install all the
    > latest firmware releases, which can be done using the Firmware CD
    > (also downloadable from the HP website) or you can do the online
    > firmware updates (able to update firmware without resetting) for
    > hardware that's compatible with that option (BIOS etc may need to be
    > done from the bootable Firmware CD tho)
    >
    > After working out the existing array using the utilities, you can
    > simply power down the server and slot the drive in a spare bay, it
    > will be detected and become part of the existing array, or you can
    > start a new one (depending how many drives you add). If you add it
    > to a Raid5 then the server is configurable to allow you a fast
    > rebuild, or optimised rebuild where it will rebuild the array when
    > the server load is lower.

    Thanks. So the actual downtime shouldn't be too long , but they can expect a
    performance hit for a while as it rebuilds.

    That's not too much of a problem.

    > Naturally a backup should be taken (Esp if its an SQL server or hosts
    > an SQL database) just in case, but having worked on a few of these in
    > a development capacity they've never given me problems with the array
    > configuration utility.

    Excellent.

    Dr Zoidberg, Apr 13, 2006
  4. Dr Zoidberg

    EvilNem Guest

    Pretty much yes, but, say you do it as they're closing for the day, the RAID
    rebuild should be done by the morning so they won't notice any performance
    degradation.

    EvilNem, Apr 14, 2006