Adding HDD to an existin RAID 5 device?

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by bozothedeathmachine, Nov 21, 2008.

  1. Hi, all.

    I have a StorEdge3320 with 5 HDD in a RAID5 config. I want to add a
    few more HDD to this config. Is it possible to add HDD to an existing
    RAID5, or does the existing RAID5 need to be taken down and a new
    RAID5 created with all the HDD?

    Thanks..

    1. Advertising

  2. hi,

    bozothedeathmachine wrote:
    > Hi, all.
    >
    > I have a StorEdge3320 with 5 HDD in a RAID5 config. I want to add a
    > few more HDD to this config. Is it possible to add HDD to an existing
    > RAID5, or does the existing RAID5 need to be taken down and a new
    > RAID5 created with all the HDD?
    >
    > Thanks..

    Probably depend on what RAID that is, atleast on ZFS you can not do
    that, you can add 5 more in a second config(vdev) and add that to the
    current pool thereby easy increasing
    the pools size.

    If adding 5 more would be away to go then ZFS could be something to
    think about if you can can use Solaris 10.

    /michael

    1. Advertising

  3. DoN. Nichols

    DoN. Nichols Guest

    On 2008-11-21, bozothedeathmachine <> wrote:
    > Hi, all.
    >
    > I have a StorEdge3320 with 5 HDD in a RAID5 config. I want to add a
    > few more HDD to this config. Is it possible to add HDD to an existing
    > RAID5, or does the existing RAID5 need to be taken down and a new
    > RAID5 created with all the HDD?

    I think that depends on the implementation of RAID-5. I don't
    know the StorEdge3320, but I do know that with Sun's zfs, you can do a
    lot of things to a running array, among which are to add more drives
    (though removing drives (other than hot spares) is not possible, unless
    it has been added to the latest Solaris 10 (u6) download, which I have
    not yet installed and played with. I discovered the inability to remove
    by accidentally making a hot spare into an additional disk in an array.
    To fix that, I had to create a new array and copy everything over.

    One thing that I have done is taken a running array of five 18
    GB SCA drives (in raidz2 -- the double-parity version of RAID-5 in zfs)
    and two hot spares, and migrated to the same number of 33 GB FC drives,
    by issuing the command:

    replace [-f] <pool> <device> [new_device]

    as in:

    replace -f home-p c4t2d0 c2t10d0

    then waiting for the resilver to be complete, then repeating the command
    for the next disk in the array, and so on. The size of the pool
    remained constant until the last drive (the second hot spare) was
    replace, after which the size of the pool jumped to the appropriate
    value for the larger drives. All this time, the filesystems on that
    pool were in constant use.

    Later, I did the same thing again, but replacing the 33 GB FC
    drives with 76 GB FC drives, bouncing off another (non-hot) spare.

    So -- the system is very flexible, even back in the version
    which comes with an earlier version of Solaris 10 (Generic_118833-33).

    Others will have to tell you what you can do with the setup
    which you have. I would expect the ability to grow the array to be
    present, but I'm not sure.

    Note that zfs suggests a maximum number of drives in a given
    pool, and suggests that you use more drives by forming two or more pools
    with the maximum number of drives or fewer, and then merging the
    resulting pools into a larger filesystem. Apparently, the efficiency
    falls when you get too many drives in a given pool.

    Good Luck,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: <> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564