    time).

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    Mike

    Mikester71, Nov 5, 2005

  2. Since memory modules are made only in powers of two (16, 32, 64, 128
    etc), your existing 96 meg of memory is comprised of at least 2 (and
    possibly 3) banks (modules), either 64+32 or 32+32+32 (or, very
    remotely, 16+16+64). One bank may be permanently on the motherboard and
    not changeable. Don't know the location of the memory on that model,
    normally it's either in a compartment on the bottom or under the keyboard.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 6, 2005

  3. Mikester71

    Moe Guest

    I have two NEC 440Ts. They are great workhorses. However, as you have
    noticed, the memory does need to be upgraded, 96MB ain't much these
    days.

    Memory in an NEC 440T laptop is located under the keyboard.

    To access the memory, you must "pop" up the LED & power
    switch panel. This is done by bending the display back parallel with
    the unit. The panel may be popped up by popping up the two hinge
    covers on the back of the panel. Please be very, very careful. It is
    very easy to damage the connecting circuitry. Damaging the circuitry
    is a common problem, and parts for an NEC 440T are not easy to find.

    I may be easier to bend the display back only about 10 degrees less
    than parallel. Then, when the panel is loose, the display may be
    moved completely parallel. Using this method may be less risk for
    damage, since the display will only allow the panel to be popped up
    so far.

    Do NOT remove the panel completely. Only loosen it to the point that
    it is detached. This is required to remove the keyboard. Then, the
    keyboard can be laid back to give access to the memory compartment.
    The keyboard is attached on the slide pad side of the keyboard (the
    side closest to the operator).

    There is also a piece of sheet metal that covers the memory
    compartment, but is under the keyboard. The sheet metal also needs to
    be removed to gain access to the memory.

    Once all the above is loosened or removed, the memory may be seen
    and/or removed, replaced or upgraded.

    It is also wise to replace the memory sticks with the exact type.

    It is also a good idea to replace the module closest to the battery,
    first.

    To the best of my memory, the NEC Ready 440T uses: 144 Pin PC66 CL3
    SDRAM SODIMM sticks.

    I hope this helps.

    Just a note: Many parts are inter-changable with a Micron Trek2.
    However, I understand that the memory is not exactly the same.

    Moe

    Moe, Nov 10, 2006