    Welsh Gas
    Remove usual to reply direct.
    paulatwoodsforddotcodotuk

    WelshGas, Aug 19, 2012

  2. WelshGas

    Király Guest

    WelshGas <> wrote:
    > My question is, Does anyone know how I can fix the 1st account so that it
    > has full privileges. I am the only user of this machine and would prefer to
    > have just the one Admin account. I'm not that knowledgeable about IT matters
    > but I muddle through most problems but this has me stumped. I don't want to
    > delete the 1st Admin account as I have everything set as I want. Can I
    > migrate all the settings etc: to the 2nd account so that I could delete the
    > 1st account that has the problem? If so, How?
    >
    > Thanks for any insight or help with this problem.

    I think it is best to just leave things as they are, taking the
    additional step of removing admin privileges from your original user
    account, and then continuing to use it as normal. You can still do all
    admin tasks from that account, simply by entering the username/password
    of the admin account when prompted. There is no need to log in to the
    admin account.

    Doing what I suggested is what Apple says to do in their security
    configuration guidelines. They say to never use an admin account for any
    task that cannot be done in a non-admin account, and to never use an
    admin account for day-to-day work that isn't related to administering
    the system. Apple even goes so far as to say to never browse the web or
    check email while logged in to an admin account. It is an unnecessary
    security risk.

    Having a spare user account on your Mac can also save your bacon if
    your primary user account gets borked and you can't log in, and is
    usefuly for troubleshooting misbehaving apps.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.

    Király, Aug 19, 2012

  3. WelshGas

    WelshGas Guest

    On 19/08/2012 15:17, in article k0qsic$8u3$, "Király"
    <> wrote:

    > WelshGas <> wrote:
    >> My question is, Does anyone know how I can fix the 1st account so that it
    >> has full privileges. I am the only user of this machine and would prefer to
    >> have just the one Admin account. I'm not that knowledgeable about IT matters
    >> but I muddle through most problems but this has me stumped. I don't want to
    >> delete the 1st Admin account as I have everything set as I want. Can I
    >> migrate all the settings etc: to the 2nd account so that I could delete the
    >> 1st account that has the problem? If so, How?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any insight or help with this problem.

    > I think it is best to just leave things as they are, taking the
    > additional step of removing admin privileges from your original user
    > account, and then continuing to use it as normal. You can still do all
    > admin tasks from that account, simply by entering the username/password
    > of the admin account when prompted. There is no need to log in to the
    > admin account.
    >
    > Doing what I suggested is what Apple says to do in their security
    > configuration guidelines. They say to never use an admin account for any
    > task that cannot be done in a non-admin account, and to never use an
    > admin account for day-to-day work that isn't related to administering
    > the system. Apple even goes so far as to say to never browse the web or
    > check email while logged in to an admin account. It is an unnecessary
    > security risk.
    >
    > Having a spare user account on your Mac can also save your bacon if
    > your primary user account gets borked and you can't log in, and is
    > usefuly for troubleshooting misbehaving apps.

    Thanks for your advice. I have done as you suggested. Thanks.

    WelshGas, Aug 19, 2012
  4. WelshGas

    Erik Guest

    In article <CC56979C.522CA%>,
    WelshGas <> wrote:

    > Hi, on my iMac running 10.8 I had an admin account which would not allow me
    > to pair an Apple Remote as I had insufficient admin privileges. I created a
    > 2nd Admin account and when logged into that account I could pair the remote.
    >
    > My question is, Does anyone know how I can fix the 1st account so that it
    > has full privileges. I am the only user of this machine and would prefer to
    > have just the one Admin account. I'm not that knowledgeable about IT matters
    > but I muddle through most problems but this has me stumped. I don't want to
    > delete the 1st Admin account as I have everything set as I want. Can I
    > migrate all the settings etc: to the 2nd account so that I could delete the
    > 1st account that has the problem? If so, How?
    >
    > Thanks for any insight or help with this problem.

    I don't have a remote, and might be all wet here, but take a look at
    this.

    From the Admin account in question, open 'Security & Privacy' within the
    system prefs. Next click the 'General' tab, then the 'Advanced' box in
    the lower RH corner.

    Check to see if the fourth item is checked. It's labeled 'Disable remote
    control infrared receiver'.

    Good luck!

    Erik

    Erik, Aug 20, 2012
  5. WelshGas

    WelshGas Guest

    On 20/08/2012 02:24, in article
    , "Erik" <>
    wrote:

    > In article <CC56979C.522CA%>,
    > WelshGas <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, on my iMac running 10.8 I had an admin account which would not allow me
    >> to pair an Apple Remote as I had insufficient admin privileges. I created a
    >> 2nd Admin account and when logged into that account I could pair the remote.
    >>
    >> My question is, Does anyone know how I can fix the 1st account so that it
    >> has full privileges. I am the only user of this machine and would prefer to
    >> have just the one Admin account. I'm not that knowledgeable about IT matters
    >> but I muddle through most problems but this has me stumped. I don't want to
    >> delete the 1st Admin account as I have everything set as I want. Can I
    >> migrate all the settings etc: to the 2nd account so that I could delete the
    >> 1st account that has the problem? If so, How?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any insight or help with this problem.

    > I don't have a remote, and might be all wet here, but take a look at
    > this.
    >
    > From the Admin account in question, open 'Security & Privacy' within the
    > system prefs. Next click the 'General' tab, then the 'Advanced' box in
    > the lower RH corner.
    >
    > Check to see if the fourth item is checked. It's labeled 'Disable remote
    > control infrared receiver'.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Erik

    Thanks for that tip Erik. I had already checked that. On the !st account
    that function wasn't present but on the 2nd account it was. Anyway, it's
    all sorted now, but thanks anyway.

    WelshGas, Aug 20, 2012