    Thanks in advance...........

    With Best egards,
    Nutty

    Nutty, Jul 12, 2007

  2. Nutty

    David Tweed Guest

    Nutty wrote:
    > I m working on ADSP BF538. Being the part of project i would like to
    > write the Board Bring Up(BBU) Software for the DSP Board. As this is
    > first time i m dealing with DSP and BBU as well, i a m looking for any
    > help frm all. Please guide me. If any one is working on the same DSP,
    > please let me know.Atleast tell me how to start the approach of
    > writing the BBU for the specified DSP.
    > Thanks in advance...........

    Well, what is unique about your board that needs bringing up?

    We just did a BF538 project, but it uses on-chip peripherals exclusively,
    so it was just a matter of providing the JTAG interface for the ICE in
    the hardware in order to bring it up.

    The only special software required is the loader for the EEPROM chip
    that holds the firmware. With the -BF538F, ADI provides the loader for
    the EEPROM that's inside the package. For the non-F version, you can
    either use the same chip externally -- and the same loader module -- or
    you can switch to a different chip, and then you need to customize the
    loader module a bit. Not a big deal.

    Our application software is written in C++ using the ADI compiler,
    in conjunction with their VDK kernel and System Services. Software
    development and debugging in the VisualDSP++ environment "just works".

    Does this help?

    -- Dave Tweed

    David Tweed, Jul 14, 2007

  3. Nutty

    Nutty Guest

    On Jul 14, 9:43 pm, David Tweed <> wrote:
    > Nutty wrote:
    > > I m working on ADSP BF538. Being the part of project i would like to
    > > write the Board Bring Up(BBU) Software for the DSP Board. As this is
    > > first time i m dealing with DSP and BBU as well, i a m looking for any
    > > help frm all. Please guide me. If any one is working on the same DSP,
    > > please let me know.Atleast tell me how to start the approach of
    > > writing the BBU for the specified DSP.
    > > Thanks in advance...........

    > Well, what is unique about your board that needs bringing up?
    >
    > We just did a BF538 project, but it uses on-chip peripherals exclusively,
    > so it was just a matter of providing the JTAG interface for the ICE in
    > the hardware in order to bring it up.
    >
    > The only special software required is the loader for the EEPROM chip
    > that holds the firmware. With the -BF538F, ADI provides the loader for
    > the EEPROM that's inside the package. For the non-F version, you can
    > either use the same chip externally -- and the same loader module -- or
    > you can switch to a different chip, and then you need to customize the
    > loader module a bit. Not a big deal.
    >
    > Our application software is written in C++ using the ADI compiler,
    > in conjunction with their VDK kernel and System Services. Software
    > development and debugging in the VisualDSP++ environment "just works".
    >
    > Does this help?
    >
    > -- Dave Tweed

    Thanks a lot !!!!
    Could u please share ur loader module?? So that i can get some idea
    abt the boot loader. I don't have any knowledge on boot loader.
    In BF538, there r different booting methods. How to select the
    perticular method. Like which one is best? On wht basis should i come
    up with perticular method?
    Please guide me.....
    Nutty

    Nutty, Jul 16, 2007
  4. Nutty

    David Tweed Guest

    Nutty wrote:
    > Could u please share ur loader module?? So that i can get some idea
    > abt the boot loader. I don't have any knowledge on boot loader.

    No, sorry, our custom loader was done as work-for-hire, and I can't
    share it. But the stanard ADI loaders can be found in your VisualDSP
    install directory:

    .../VisualDSP_4.5/Blacfkin/Flash Programmer Drivers/...

    > In BF538, there r different booting methods. How to select the
    > perticular method. Like which one is best? On wht basis should i come
    > up with perticular method?
    > Please guide me.....

    It really depends on the context in which the Blackfin is used.

    If it is running more or less standalone, you'll want to boot it from
    a flash chip, either 8-bit parallel or serial SPI, depending on code
    size and cost constraints. For example, our design prototype uses the
    8-bit parallel flash built into the -BF538F, but to save a couple of
    pennies, the production unit uses a -BF533 booted from SPI flash.

    If it is always operating directly attached to another processor that
    has flash memory of its own (even another Blackfin), it may be worthwhile
    to store the Blackfin code in the host processor's flash and do a host
    boot of the Blackfin.

    If you need the absolutely quickest start-up, you may want to put the
    code in 16-bit wide external flash attached directly to the Blackfin
    memory bus and operate in the "no-boot" mode.

    -- Dave Tweed

    David Tweed, Jul 18, 2007