advantages? P650 or P750 over G450

Discussion in 'Matrox' started by Larry Heath, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. Larry Heath

    Larry Heath Guest

    Are there any significant advantages that the Matrox P650 or P750 has over
    the Matrox G450 32 meg video cards?

    My system consists of a Compaq Presario P4 computer model S4300NX running at
    2.4 MHz with 2 1/2 gigabytes of RAM memory, two hard disk drives, one is 100
    GB, the other is 160 GB. The system has an internal DVD ROM, and CD
    ROM/burner plus an external DVD burner. Two printers and Epson stylus Pro
    4000 and Epson stylus photo R200. Two scanners are from Epson, models, 3170
    and 4990. A 100 MEG zip drive. All the aforementioned external accessories
    are on USB 2.0 ports. I have the original compact FP 7317 monitor running
    as secondary at 1280x1024 32 bit color on the G450 and a Dell 21" inch FPW
    running as primary at 1600x1024 32 bit color. The operating system is XP
    with service pack two. I also have Hauppauge 350 TV card installed.

    My primary concern is the quality and performance of the video display using
    Adobe Photoshop CS. Am I going to see any significant benefits going to the
    P650 or P750 over the G450? I also have compatibility issues, crash and burn
    issues, with the TV card PVR 350/WinTV2000/Titan TV Programming Guide/WinTV
    IR controller, and I am wondering if this may be due to the Matrox G450
    display card. I also have Seti At Home, running in background full time. I
    also run the Dragon naturally speaking 8.0 dictation program. I have
    ZoneAlarmPro firewall running as well PestPatrol and McAfee virus ect.

    Anyway, exclusive of the normal stability problems associated with windows
    does anyone out there have an insights as to specific compatibility issues
    associated with the G450 and any of the above mentioned hodgepodge of
    hardware or programming?

    Thanks Larry

    ps: For what its worth, in case I didn't make it clear above, Hauppauge
    support is pretty much useless, for others contemplating this manufacturer,
    DON'T!

    Larry Heath, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Larry Heath

    Larc Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:04:07 -0400, "Larry Heath"
    <> wrote:

    | Are there any significant advantages that the Matrox P650 or P750 has over
    | the Matrox G450 32 meg video cards?

    In a word, no! At least not in my experience. In the process of
    upgrading my main computer, I bought a P650 to replace a G450 that I
    needed keep in the old motherboard I moved to my second system.

    I do a lot of graphics editing and haven't seen one iota of difference
    in performance between the 450 and the 650. The 650 will enable me to
    feed an LCD monitor through the digital connector if I ever decide to
    get one, but that's the only real plus I can think of except the fact
    that support for the 650 will probably last longer.

    Larc

    Larc, Jun 11, 2005

  3. Larry Heath

    Arthur Hagen Guest

    Larc <> wrote:
    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:04:07 -0400, "Larry Heath"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Are there any significant advantages that the Matrox P650 or P750
    >> has over the Matrox G450 32 meg video cards?

    > In a word, no! At least not in my experience. In the process of
    > upgrading my main computer, I bought a P650 to replace a G450 that I
    > needed keep in the old motherboard I moved to my second system.
    >
    > I do a lot of graphics editing and haven't seen one iota of difference
    > in performance between the 450 and the 650. The 650 will enable me to
    > feed an LCD monitor through the digital connector if I ever decide to
    > get one, but that's the only real plus I can think of except the fact
    > that support for the 650 will probably last longer.

    Doesn't the P750 support 10 bits per pixel in Photoshop like the
    Parhelia does? Getting 1024 shades of grey or green instead of 256 is a
    significant difference.

    Regards,
    --
    *Art

    Arthur Hagen, Jun 11, 2005
  4. Larry Heath

    Larry Heath Guest

    "Arthur Hagen" <> wrote in message
    > Larc <> wrote:
    >> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:04:07 -0400, "Larry Heath"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Are there any significant advantages that the Matrox P650 or P750
    >>> has over the Matrox G450 32 meg video cards?

    >> In a word, no! At least not in my experience. In the process of
    >> upgrading my main computer, I bought a P650 to replace a G450 that I
    >> needed keep in the old motherboard I moved to my second system.
    >>
    >> I do a lot of graphics editing and haven't seen one iota of difference
    >> in performance between the 450 and the 650. The 650 will enable me to
    >> feed an LCD monitor through the digital connector if I ever decide to
    >> get one, but that's the only real plus I can think of except the fact
    >> that support for the 650 will probably last longer.

    > Doesn't the P750 support 10 bits per pixel in Photoshop like the
    > Parhelia does? Getting 1024 shades of grey or green instead of 256 is a
    > significant difference.
    >
    > Regards,
    > --
    > *Art

    Thanks Gents

    I will have to look into the 10 bit per pixel gray scale depth, I am doing a
    good bit of B&W and being able to broaden the pallet would be excellent.

    Later Larry

    Larry Heath, Jun 11, 2005