Advice for Mounting CPU in Shuttle Mini

Discussion in 'Shuttle' started by Magnusfarce, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Magnusfarce

    Magnusfarce Guest

    I bought a Shuttle SK41G mini barebones system and am ready to build it up.
    I posted a question on this news group about putting it together a week or
    two ago. Someone ( I can't find the thread) offered some helpful advice
    about getting the heatsink correctly mated to the cpu, and I was hoping to
    follow up a bit on that.

    I've got the Athlon 2000+ cpu (had to order it from NewEgg because stores
    don't seem to carry it anymore). The news group poster suggested that I
    should install the cpu without putting in the drives because it would
    probably take several tries to get it to run without shutting down due to
    heat. Is this a safe way to do it; in other words, does this trial and
    error process harm the cpu in any way?

    Without the drives, the system won't boot of course, so I guess I would just
    watch the monitor and see if the system stays up for a while. How fast
    should I expect the cpu overheat and shut down if it is inadequately
    amounted? When I get it more or less properly mounted, i.e., it stays
    running, is there a way to do a stress test without putting the rest of the
    system together?

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    - Magnusfarce

    Magnusfarce, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Magnusfarce

    Conor Guest

    In article Magnusfarce says...
    > I bought a Shuttle SK41G mini barebones system and am ready to build it up.
    > I posted a question on this news group about putting it together a week or
    > two ago. Someone ( I can't find the thread) offered some helpful advice
    > about getting the heatsink correctly mated to the cpu, and I was hoping to
    > follow up a bit on that.
    >
    > I've got the Athlon 2000+ cpu (had to order it from NewEgg because stores
    > don't seem to carry it anymore). The news group poster suggested that I
    > should install the cpu without putting in the drives because it would
    > probably take several tries to get it to run without shutting down due to
    > heat. Is this a safe way to do it; in other words, does this trial and
    > error process harm the cpu in any way?
    >
    > Without the drives, the system won't boot of course, so I guess I would just
    > watch the monitor and see if the system stays up for a while. How fast
    > should I expect the cpu overheat and shut down if it is inadequately
    > amounted? When I get it more or less properly mounted, i.e., it stays
    > running, is there a way to do a stress test without putting the rest of the
    > system together?

    Forget messing about running it without the drives in. Just build it
    completely. If you need to remove the drives, it takes all of 30 seconds
    to take out the drive cage with the HDD, floppy and CD/DVD in.

    --
    Conor

    America: A democracy so successful, even the Ukranians copy it.

    Conor, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Magnusfarce

    Christo Guest

    "Magnusfarce" <> wrote in message
    >I bought a Shuttle SK41G mini barebones system and am ready to build it up.
    > I posted a question on this news group about putting it together a week or
    > two ago. Someone ( I can't find the thread) offered some helpful advice
    > about getting the heatsink correctly mated to the cpu, and I was hoping to
    > follow up a bit on that.
    >
    > I've got the Athlon 2000+ cpu (had to order it from NewEgg because stores
    > don't seem to carry it anymore). The news group poster suggested that I
    > should install the cpu without putting in the drives because it would
    > probably take several tries to get it to run without shutting down due to
    > heat. Is this a safe way to do it; in other words, does this trial and
    > error process harm the cpu in any way?
    >
    > Without the drives, the system won't boot of course, so I guess I would
    > just
    > watch the monitor and see if the system stays up for a while. How fast
    > should I expect the cpu overheat and shut down if it is inadequately
    > amounted? When I get it more or less properly mounted, i.e., it stays
    > running, is there a way to do a stress test without putting the rest of
    > the
    > system together?
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.
    >
    > - Magnusfarce

    I am not sure if you can do this with shuttle system because i am a shuttle
    n00b

    for me when i build full sized system fron scratch the first thing i do is
    place the motherboard down on an anti-static hard surface and put the
    CPU/heatsink on there before i mount the board in the system

    if you can do this with your shuttle it would be easier, you can take the
    board out by unscrewing the screws (not 100% sure about that on shuttles)

    but the heatsink on, best to hook one side onto the clips on the side of the
    socket

    then allign it so it isnt touching the socket at any side (kneel down so you
    are at eye level with the socket and check if it is touching it anywhere) if
    it isnt, take a small screw driver, and there might be green plastic thing
    on your heatsink if it is AMD stock, put the end of the screw driver into
    the green plastic thing (so you dont get too enthusiastic and push too hard
    and go straight through the motherboard) push down until you can hook the
    unhooked side over the clips on the socket, once thats done you should be
    fine to boot up

    it should boot first time, try it with case open you you can clearly see the
    fan is spinning

    oh yeah i forgot to tell you...

    on the motherboard there should be a 3 pin connector near the 462 pin socket
    (socket A)

    put the 3 pin connector from the fan on the heatsink into there... check the
    fan is spinning when the pc powers up

    power up with just the boot drive (for example: the hard drive)

    as it could be a PSU issue and more devices mean more power being sucked
    from the PSU (i highly doubt it is this though, but even so just to be 110%
    sure)

    it should boot first time if all is well if not maybe the CPU is DoA

    as for stress test what do you mean, temperature of CPU?

    if you press Delete when the computer is booting just hit it endlessly, you
    should get into the BIOS, follow the menu through there to CPU/voltage, or
    frequency settings it should give you a temperature readout of CPU there and
    give you the speed of the fan etc etc.

    you can even change the emergency shutdown temperature, (i reccomend 65 to
    be sure of no damage at all) 70 is when you should be worrying, you should
    never really go about 60 ever, unless you totally pound your CPU with some
    hard ass gaming for 15 hours straight....

    sorry if insulted your intelligence by suggesting some of the above, but
    that covers it for anyone else reading who may have similar problem and isnt
    as knowledgable as you or i may be,

    good luck

    Chris

    Christo, Dec 14, 2004
  4. Magnusfarce

    Trev Guest

    On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:20:24 -0000, "Christo" <>
    wrote:

    > am not sure if you can do this with shuttle system because i am a shuttle
    >n00b
    >
    >for me when i build full sized system fron scratch the first thing i do is
    >place the motherboard down on an anti-static hard surface and put the
    >CPU/heatsink on there before i mount the board in the system

    Have you ever seen a Shuttle?
    --

    Trev (Milnrow, UK)

    Trev, Dec 14, 2004
  5. Magnusfarce

    DB Guest

    "Christo" <> wrote in message

    > "Magnusfarce" <> wrote in message
    >>I bought a Shuttle SK41G mini barebones system and am ready to build it
    >>up.
    >> I posted a question on this news group about putting it together a week
    >> or
    >> two ago. Someone ( I can't find the thread) offered some helpful advice
    >> about getting the heatsink correctly mated to the cpu, and I was hoping
    >> follow up a bit on that.
    >>
    >> I've got the Athlon 2000+ cpu (had to order it from NewEgg because stores
    >> don't seem to carry it anymore). The news group poster suggested that I
    >> should install the cpu without putting in the drives because it would
    >> probably take several tries to get it to run without shutting down due to
    >> heat. Is this a safe way to do it; in other words, does this trial and
    >> error process harm the cpu in any way?
    >>
    >> Without the drives, the system won't boot of course, so I guess I would
    >> just
    >> watch the monitor and see if the system stays up for a while. How fast
    >> should I expect the cpu overheat and shut down if it is inadequately
    >> amounted? When I get it more or less properly mounted, i.e., it stays
    >> running, is there a way to do a stress test without putting the rest of
    >> the
    >> system together?
    >>
    >> Any help would be much appreciated.
    >>
    >> - Magnusfarce

    One thing I learned is if you have the cooling pipe,make sure there is no
    stress on the pipe assy when you mount the fan over the upper portion of it
    as it tweaks the heatsink and causes immediate shutdown and the overheat led
    lights

    "D"

    DB, Dec 15, 2004
  6. Magnusfarce

    Christo Guest

    "Trev" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 19:20:24 -0000, "Christo" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> am not sure if you can do this with shuttle system because i am a shuttle
    >>n00b
    >>
    >>for me when i build full sized system fron scratch the first thing i do is
    >>place the motherboard down on an anti-static hard surface and put the
    >>CPU/heatsink on there before i mount the board in the system

    > Have you ever seen a Shuttle?

    haha yeah just now, sorry soorry sorry

    i wasted my time writing that, heatpipe cooling

    thats pretty dodgey, they are smaller than i thought, it must get pretty
    darn hot inside there!!

    all with a 200w PSU, crazy!!!!!

    how can you do that AMD reccomend 400w PSU's for all ATX systems

    man shuttles rule i want one so bad now! they are tiny i am here with a
    brand new chieftec server sized case with 6 external 5.25 bays and 2 3.5
    external bays and about 8 internal 3.5, the airflow is great, the space
    rocks it looks a bit compact fitting a geforce 6800 in there, it would probs
    get too hot!!

    no where to put case fans?

    and exhaust blower is a definate!

    Christo, Dec 15, 2004
  7. Magnusfarce

    Conor Guest

    In article Christo says...

    > thats pretty dodgey, they are smaller than i thought, it must get pretty
    > darn hot inside there!!

    Nope. CPU 47C, chipset 52C on stock cooling.

    > all with a 200w PSU, crazy!!!!!
    >
    > how can you do that AMD reccomend 400w PSU's for all ATX systems

    You only need a 400W PSU to compensate for companies designing shitty
    inefficent kit.

    > no where to put case fans?

    Why would you want to? Again, its only compensating for shitty design.

    > and exhaust blower is a definate!

    Why?

    --
    Conor

    A man alone in the forest is talking to himself and no women around to
    hear him. Is he still wrong?

    Conor, Dec 15, 2004