Advice on an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 939 System

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Chris Hafner, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. Chris Hafner

    Chris Hafner Guest

    Hello all,

    I *used* to know something about computer, back in the dark old ages, but
    now after several years of slogging along with a P-366 with a breathtaking
    64 MB of RAM and 6 GB HD, my wife has finally given me the nod to pursue a
    new system.

    While I'm not a programmer or network engineer, I'm decent with computers
    dating back to the VIC-20, Apple II, and IBM 8086
    and (though it might not be obvious from my current deep-sea anchor) enjoy
    having a good machine. However, I'm not a hard-core gamer (though
    I do enjoy firing up a DOS game from time to time), nor will I be doing any
    video editing on this machine. I do a fair amount in spreadsheet
    and database programs and will be storing and editing digital photos, though
    not to a professional level. The problem is that while I would
    be comfortable picking out the right components and building a machine in
    the mid-to-late 1990s, I haven't been keeping up with the
    technology.

    What I do know is that the 486/100 I built for myself back in 1995
    RULED!!!!!1!!!!11!!!

    My wife writes e-mail and, from time to time, opens up Microsoft Word.
    Her needs are pretty minimal.

    Our budget is somewhat small; my wife would love to get a machine for
    roughly $400; I've been able to convince her to open things up to
    around $850. However, ideally, we'd come down around the midpoint there. So,
    not very much.

    With the help of some friends in another NG who gave me some baselines, I've
    assembled this system with components that look like a good balance between
    power and budget from newegg.com. My hope is to dispense with some of the
    flashy stuff but to assemble a computer with good bones that I can use until
    it's pathetically out of date and I get laughed at by my friends as I am
    right now.

    Any comments on whether or not this makes sense or if there are any glaring
    compatibility issues would be welcome. I am not in need of a monitor,
    keyboard, or printer at this time.

    ---

    GIGABYTE "GA-K8NS-939" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For
    AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL
    Specifications:
    Supported CPU: Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64FX/64 processor
    Chipset: nForce3 ULTRA
    RAM: 4x DIMM Supports dual channel DDR266/333/400 Max 4GB
    Slots: 1x AGP 4X/8X, 5x PCI
    Ports: 2x PS/2, 2x COM, 1x LPT, 8x USB2.0(Rear 4), 1x RJ45, Audio
    Ports
    IDE: 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices with NV Raid 0/1/0+1
    SATA/RAID: 2x SATA with NV Raid 0/1/0+1
    Onboard Audio: Realtek ALC850 Audio AC'97 Codec
    Onboard LAN: Marvell 8001 Gigabit Ethernet
    Form Factor: ATX more info-> N82E16813128274 $85.00

    This looked like a decent enough 939 motherboard to fit the Athlon 64 - it
    seems to have the features that I would need, I imagine.

    How is the onboard audio with motherboards? I'm so old-school that I can't
    imagine much other than ISA sound cards ...

    ---

    AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 512KB L2 Cache, Socket 939 64-bit Processor -
    Retail
    Specifications:
    Model: Athlon 64 3000+
    Core: Winchester
    Operating Frequency: 1.8GHz
    FSB: Integrated into Chip
    Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 512KB
    Voltage: 1.5V
    Process: 90 nm
    Socket: Socket 939
    Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
    Warranty: 3-year MFG
    Packaging: Retail(with Heatsink and Fan) more info-> N82E16819103501
    $165.00

    From what I've heard, the Athlon 64 is the hot ticket for bang for the buck
    and will be very upgradeable for 64-bit applications. True?

    How does the 3000+ Athlon match up with Intel P4 processors? Is it a rough
    patch for the P4 3.0?

    <shrug>

    ---

    PQI POWER Series 184-Pin 1GB DDR PC-3200, Model MD441GUOE - Retail
    Specifications:
    Manufacturer: PQI
    Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
    Type: 184-Pin DDR SDRAM
    Error Checking: Non-ECC
    Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
    Cas Latency: 3
    Support Voltage: 2.5V
    Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
    Warranty: Lifetime more info-> N82E16820141198 $155.50 $155.50

    At first, I picked two 512MB PC2100 DDRs, but then I thought maybe I should
    get one PC3200 DDR - albeit for significantly more money. This is DDR
    SDRAM - is that better or worse that just straight DDR? Should I have two
    512 MB sticks instead to take advantage of dual-channel? What's the
    difference between PC3200 and PC2100? And is this RAM compatible with the
    motherboard selected above?

    ---

    Samsung 160GB 7200RPM Hard Drive, Model SP1614N, OEM Drive Only
    Specifications:
    Capacity: 160GB
    Average Seek Time: 8.9 ms
    Buffer: 8MB
    Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
    Interface: IDE Ultra ATA133
    Features: Fluid Dynamic Bearing Spindle Motor Technology
    Manufacturer Warranty: 3 years
    Remark: OEM Drive Only more info-> N82E16822152014 $89.00

    This one had fairly good reviews - I'd probably prefer a Western Digital or
    Maxtor, but Samsung isn't a bad brand, from what I know. It is not an SATA
    drive - should I care? It does have an 8MB buffer, which seems pretty good,
    and its seek time seems solid. Most importantly, the capacity and the price
    seem to be in a good balance.

    ---

    Rosewill GRAY 52X32X52 CDRW Drive, Model RR-521, Retail
    Specifications:
    Write Speed: 52X CD-R, 32X CD-RW
    Read Speed: 52X CD-ROM
    Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
    Buffer: 2MB
    Features: Buffer under run errors prevention. Adopts Buffer Underrun
    Prevention technology. Low power consumption.
    Packaging: Full Retail Package (see pictures for details) more info->
    N82E16827190011 $20.00

    Just a cheap-o CDRW drive as my primary optical to spare the DVD drive the
    wear and tear. The speed is good, the reviews were pretty good, and the
    price is very right.

    ---

    NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Beige, Model ND-3520A, OEM
    Specifications:
    Write Speed: 16X DVD+R, 8X DVD+RW, 4X DVD+R DL, 16X DVD-R, 6X DVD-RW,
    48X CD-R, 24X CD-RW
    Read Speed: 48X CD-ROM, 16X DVD-ROM
    Interface: ATAPI / E-IDE
    Buffer: 2MB
    OS Support: Windows XP/ 2000/ ME/ 98SE
    Features: High speed writing performance.
    Packaging: OEM (see pictures for details) more info-> N82E16827152039
    $62.99

    I decided to go with more of a name brand for the DL DVD-RW. It's still a
    great price, and this is supposed to be one of the better DL burners out
    there - although I'll probably do more single-layer burning until DL media
    drops a little.

    ---

    SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 7000(RADEON VE) Video Card, 64MB DDR, 64-bit,
    TV-Out, 4X AGP -BULK
    Specifications:
    Chipset/Core Speed: ATI RADEON 7000(RADEON VE)/166MHz
    Memory/Effective Speed: 64MB DDR/400MHz
    BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video+Composite)
    Support 3D API: DirectX®, OpenGL®
    Cable/Accessories: 1 Adapter, Driver CD
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@60Hz more info->

    I understand this is an older card, which doesn't bother me much - I
    won't be playing the most up-to-date games - probably year-old stuff and
    older. The price seemed right, and I understand Sapphire ATI is pretty
    decent. It's not the cheapest card out there, but it's close with a
    recognizable name and, hopefully, good compatibility.

    ---

    Linkworld Beige/Blue Midi ATX CASE, Model "B313C02N -
    P4" -RETAIL
    Specifications:
    Case Type: Midi ATX CASE
    Color: Beige/Blue
    Material: Metal
    Drive Bays: 5.25" x 4/0, 3.5" x 2/2 (external/internal)
    Expansion Slots: 7
    Front Ports: 2xUSB
    Cooling System: 1 front fan
    Motherboard Compatibility: ATX
    Dimensions: 20.5" x 10" x 19.5" more info-> N82E16811164039
    $17.00
    N82E16814102231 $31.00

    Yeah, it's a cheap case. I don't need anything that looks like Alienware - I
    just need a box for the parts to sit in. Am I an idiot for thinking this
    way, or will I get by just fine with something cheap and chintzy like this?
    I'd prefer to save my money for hardware rather than haute couture.

    ---

    Rosewill Value Series 300W Dual Fan Power Supply for Intel and AMD
    systems, Model "RV300" -RETAIL
    Specifications:
    Type: ATX
    Maximum Power: 300W
    PFC: No
    Efficiency: 70% Min. at full load
    Over Voltage Protection: On all outputs
    Input Voltage: 115/230V AC
    Input Frequency Range: 60/ 50Hz
    Input Current: 10A/6A
    Output: +3.3V@28A, +5V@30A, -5V@0.3A, +12V@15A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2A
    MTBF: 100K hrs at 25ºC
    Approvals: UL, CB, CE, TUV, FCC more info-> N82E16817182001 $13.00

    As tempting as it is for me to think a power supply is a power supply is a
    power supply, neither do I want an unstable machine. Will this do the job?

    ---

    DCT Factory 03M-OPT-BCLI Optical Mouse PS/2 -RETAIL
    Specifications:
    Interface: PS/2
    Number Of Buttons: 3x Buttons + 1x Wheel
    Optical/Ball: Optical
    Wireless Technology: N/A
    Features: Middle button lights up more info-> N82E16826147001 $5.56

    Cheap, generic mouse - our current mouse doesn't have a wheel on it, so what
    the heck, right?

    ---

    All told, this adds up to $641.22, which seems pretty good for what's
    included. Any thoughts?

    TIA for any help.

    Cheers,
    Chris Hafner

    Chris Hafner, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Chris Hafner

    kony Guest

    On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 16:39:32 -0800, "Chris Hafner"
    <> wrote:

    <parts list snipped>

    Rosewill 300W is not suited for the system, choose a
    name-brand of 350W capacity or preferribly higher.

    The Radeon 7000 is not suited to playing year-old games,
    it's VERY slow relative to 2 year old midrange cards. Best
    bang for the buck right now might be a Radeon 9600 Pro. If
    you want to spend less look for a Geforce TI4200 on the
    surplus/used market. Otherwise a lower priced card will be
    good at little more than 2D, though anything modern is quite
    sufficient for 2D use.

    kony, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Chris Hafner

    Fitz Guest

    Agreed on both counts. Another option on a video card would be the FX 5700.
    Definitely get a better quality power supply of 350 W or greater.

    DDR stands for Double Data Rate. PC2100 is 133MHz X 2 for an effective speed
    of 266MHz (not what you want for your system). PC3200 is 200 MHz X 2 =
    400MHz.
    CAS 3 for 400 MHz Non-ECC, Unbuffered RAM certainly isn't optimum. I would
    look for Crucial or Corsair for CAS 2.5 PC3200.

    All this will come at some extra expense, but you will have a better system
    for it. IMHO, if I were going to adjust components to meet a budget, I would
    consider stepping down a notch or two on the processor (maybe go with the
    754 pin AMD64) and up the quality of the other components to compliment the
    processor. Otherwise, your processor is turning useless cycles waiting for
    the rest of the system to catch up. Quality RAM and clean, sufficient power
    are as important as a couple hundred MHz of processor speed.

    Fitz

    Fitz, Feb 4, 2005
  4. Chris Hafner

    Chris Hafner Guest

    "Fitz" <> wrote in message
    > Agreed on both counts. Another option on a video card would be the FX

    5700.
    > Definitely get a better quality power supply of 350 W or greater.
    >
    > DDR stands for Double Data Rate. PC2100 is 133MHz X 2 for an effective

    speed
    > of 266MHz (not what you want for your system). PC3200 is 200 MHz X 2 =
    > 400MHz.
    > CAS 3 for 400 MHz Non-ECC, Unbuffered RAM certainly isn't optimum. I would
    > look for Crucial or Corsair for CAS 2.5 PC3200.
    >
    > All this will come at some extra expense, but you will have a better

    system
    > for it. IMHO, if I were going to adjust components to meet a budget, I

    would
    > consider stepping down a notch or two on the processor (maybe go with the
    > 754 pin AMD64) and up the quality of the other components to compliment

    the
    > processor. Otherwise, your processor is turning useless cycles waiting for
    > the rest of the system to catch up. Quality RAM and clean, sufficient

    power
    > are as important as a couple hundred MHz of processor speed.

    Thanks for the help, guys. If I leave the rest of the system the same and
    step up to the following RAM, video card, and power supply, how does this
    look?

    ---

    Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR
    PC-3200 - Retail
    Specifications:
    Manufacturer: Corsair
    Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
    Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
    Error Checking: Non-ECC
    Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
    Cas Latency: 3
    Support Voltage: 2.5V
    Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
    Warranty: Lifetime more info-> N82E16820145480 $140.00

    This still has a latency of 3, not 2.5 - but it is a good brand. Will this
    work? It's also dual channel. I couldn't find anything both dual channel and
    2.5 latency anywhere close to my price range.

    How big a difference does that .5 latency difference make?

    ---

    SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit,
    DVI/TV-Out, 8X AGP, Model "100562-Green" -OEM BULK
    Specifications:
    Chipset: ATI Radeon 9600PRO
    Memory: 256MB DDR
    BUS: AGP 4X/8X
    Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub) + TV-Out (S-Video) + DVI
    Support 3D API: DirectX 9, OpenGL 1.5
    Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536
    Cable/Accessories: S-Video Adapter , Driver CD more info->
    N82E16814102407 $107.00

    I decided to go with the bang-for-the-buck Radeon 9600 Pro chipset. The
    Sapphire card with 256 MB was only a few bucks more than the one with 128
    MB, so I figured ... why not? Plus it supports up to DirectX 9.

    I'm not a huge gamer - would probably be intermittently playing some older
    games, maybe stuff from 2003.

    ---

    Antec P4 ATX12V 400 Watt Power Supply With 2 Fans, Model "SL400" -
    Retail
    Specifications:
    Type: ATX
    Maximum Power: 400W
    PFC: No
    Power Good Signal: 100-500ms
    Hold-up Time: < 17ms at Full Load
    Efficiency: >=68%
    Over Voltage Protection: +5V trip point<+6.5V;+3.3V trip
    point<+4.1V;+12V trip point<+15.6V
    Overload Protection: Latching Protection+5V @<53A;+3.3V @ <48A;+12V @
    <23A
    Input Voltage: 115 VAC / 230VAC
    Input Frequency Range: 47-63 Hz
    Input Current: 10A for 115VAC;5.0A for 230VAC
    Output: +3.3V@28A;+5V@38A;-5V@0.5A;+12V@18A;-12V@0.8A;+5VSB@2A more
    info-> N82E16817103912 $59.00

    I figured Antec was a pretty good brand, and if I needed at least 350 Watts,
    400 would do the job even better.

    ---

    Any thoughts? This system is about $100 more expensive, but I can accept
    that if I'm no longer limiting the other components on the machine.

    Cheers,
    Chris Hafner

    Chris Hafner, Feb 4, 2005
  5. Chris Hafner

    Chris Hafner Guest

    @
    > <23A
    > Input Voltage: 115 VAC / 230VAC
    > Input Frequency Range: 47-63 Hz
    > Input Current: 10A for 115VAC;5.0A for 230VAC
    > Output: +3.3V@28A;+5V@38A;-5V@0.5A;+12V@18A;-12V@0.8A;+5VSB@2A more
    > info-> N82E16817103912 $59.00
    >

    > I figured Antec was a pretty good brand, and if I needed at least 350

    Watts,
    > 400 would do the job even better.
    >
    > ---
    >
    > Any thoughts? This system is about $100 more expensive, but I can accept
    > that if I'm no longer limiting the other components on the machine.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris Hafner

    Another quick question - any problems with going EIDE interface on my hard
    drive instead of SATA?

    Cheers,
    Chris Hafner

    Chris Hafner, Feb 4, 2005
  6. Chris Hafner

    jacoby Guest

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-299&depa=0

    jacoby, Feb 4, 2005
  7. Chris Hafner

    Chris Hafner Guest

    "jacoby" <> wrote in message

    > "Chris Hafner" <> wrote in message
    >
    > > Corsair Value Select Dual Channel Kit 184 Pin 1G(512MBx2) DDR
    > > PC-3200 - Retail
    > > Specifications:
    > > Manufacturer: Corsair
    > > Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
    > > Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
    > > Error Checking: Non-ECC
    > > Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
    > > Cas Latency: 3
    > > Support Voltage: 2.5V
    > > Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
    > > Warranty: Lifetime more info-> N82E16820145480 $140.00
    > >

    > > This still has a latency of 3, not 2.5 - but it is a good brand. Will

    this
    > > work? It's also dual channel. I couldn't find anything both dual channel

    > and
    > > 2.5 latency anywhere close to my price range.

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-299&depa=0

    Looks great, thanks! This isn't dual channel, though - or at least if it is,
    I'm not seeing it. Is getting 2.5 latency instead of 3.0 worth going away
    from dual channel?

    Cheers,
    Chris Hafner

    Chris Hafner, Feb 4, 2005
  8. Chris Hafner

    Dee Guest

    Chris Hafner wrote:

    > Another quick question - any problems with going EIDE interface on my hard
    > drive instead of SATA?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris Hafner

    You can use either or both.

    Dee, Feb 4, 2005
  9. Chris Hafner

    Fitz Guest

    Dual channel is different than DDR. Dual channel is not a function of the
    memory (double data rate [DDR] is). Used to be that dual channel was a
    function of the motherboard. Since the AMD 64's memory controller is on the
    processor itself, dual channel capability is integral to the processor. You
    would not be "going away" from dual channel performance. I'll let others
    argue how much advantage dual channel is- I'm running an AMD64 754 pin
    system, which isn't dual channel capable.

    Personal opinion: the Mushkin is a good way to go if your budget will handle
    it. They make a superior product, and back it well. I try to stay away from
    any manufactures line of "Value" memory...usually translates to "didn't
    quite make the grade". Check out the AMD forums and see how many problems
    are memory related. Get as much memory as you can afford, but remember, you
    can always add memory at a later date. Whatever you buy, get quality stuff,
    even if it means buying 512MB now, and adding another stick later. After
    having to change memory on a couple machines because it wouldn't stand up to
    demand of the system, I put as much emphasis on quality as quantity when it
    comes to RAM. I'm using 2 X 512MB Mushkin Level 1 Black PC3500. My system is
    an AMD64 3200+ running "Performance Settings" which mildly overclocks the
    system from 200 MHz to 208 MHz for an effective memory speed of 416 MHz.
    PC3500 is rated at 433 MHz.

    Good choice on the power supply.

    Fitz

    Fitz, Feb 4, 2005
  10. Chris Hafner

    Carbon Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 14:32:19 -0500, Dee wrote:
    > Chris Hafner wrote:
    >
    >> Another quick question - any problems with going EIDE interface on my hard
    >> drive instead of SATA?

    > You can use either or both.

    Can you install XP onto a SATA drive, or do you have to load a driver off
    a CD, or what?

    Carbon, Feb 5, 2005
  11. Depending on SATA controller, you might need to load drivers for it FROM A
    FLOPPY using the F6 right at the start of the install program...

    --
    Tumppi
    Reply to group

    Thomas Wendell, Feb 5, 2005