    also, so I will disable the sound on the board. I will not be overclocking
    either.
    Thanks in advance for answering.
    Marge, Dec 30, 2004

  2. Marge

    DaveL Guest

    Marge,

    Stay with Nforce. I just built a system for my brother using the 8KDA3J.
    It's an Nforce3 board and it worked flawlessly out of the box. But pretty
    soon the Nforce4 boards will be hitting the market. Some brands like Asus
    already have them out. These boards have one very important difference in
    that they do not support AGP video cards. They utilize a new slot called
    PCIe.

    DaveL

    "Marge" <> wrote in message
    > Hopefully in about a month I will be upgrading my computer,Probably going
    > with a athlon 64 3400. I have owned several epox boards in the past and

    have
    > always had good luck with them. I will just run 1 drive on the system and
    > thinking of getting the Wester Digital Raptor drive. Looking on Newegg's
    > site there is the Epox 8KDA3J, the 8HDA5+,the 8KDA3+.
    > Just wondering what really the differences were between these boards. I

    know
    > the HDA5+ has the via chipset. Since I am not going to run raid though is
    > there any need in spending the extra money for the DA3+? Are all these

    board

    DaveL, Dec 31, 2004

  3. Marge

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Marge.

    I've had my 8KDA3+/Athlon 64 3200 since July and I really like it. My boot
    drive is SCSI and there are 2 IDE drives; no SATA and no RAID, yet, but for
    just a few dollars over other boards, I'm ready for the big drives when the
    time comes.

    My SB Live sound card and ATI All-In-One installed smoothly. I use both the
    SB and the built-in AC97 sound for different purposes. (I don't really know
    why; either would probably do the whole job, but using them both lets me
    have more input/output sockets for speakers and such. I've transferred many
    of my old vinyl LPs to CDs, and I'll be putting some VHS tapes onto DVD
    soon, I hope.)

    I'm no expert. Just one guy, one computer, one POTS phone line, no net but
    the Internet. Haven't had occasion to compare many different mobos. My
    first EPoX was the 8K3A+. I liked it, so when it was time to upgrade, I got
    the 8KDA3+.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA