    chris Guest

    What does this error mean? Trying to build 9cjs system and get this...
    no video either
    chris, Dec 19, 2003

  2. chris

    Chaintechee Guest

    Chris,

    There may be a POST error when trying to detect the presence of a video card. There is a BIOS setting for Primary Video Source in the Setup which specifies to look to the AGP slot or the PCI bus first. If you have no video, it may be set for one while you have the opposite.

    If your BIOS is set for AGP but have a PCI video card installed, let the system try to boot. It will repeatedly reboot as it checks each slot in order for a video card. It may take 1 to 4 reboots to find it, depending on the slot in which it resides. If the opposite is true (set to PCI but you have AGP) it should eventually cycle through all of the PCI slots and hit AGP, but it may take up to 5 reboots. The setting just really tells the system which slot to start looking or video, at AGP or PCI 0.

    An easier fix may be to use the CMOS reset jumper (JP1) located directly adjacent to the IDE controller port. It will then set the system back to its default, which is for AGP.

    Note: If you do have A PCI video card as your primary, once the system finds it, it will remember its location until you chane the BIOS settings, so it may have to reboot a few times, but only until it finds it once. Then it should work as normal.

    These are just guesses here, but based on a similar experience, this was the solution I found. AF is notably absent from the DigiDoc Error Code reference. : (

    Technical Support may be able to help you by phone (inside the back cover of your manual), but this may help you get going before Monday.

    Rotsa Ruck!

    Chaintechee, Dec 20, 2003

  3. chris

    chris Guest

    Thanks for your input, at least now i know in what realm my problem
    lies. I was guessing that it might be a memory problem...

    I am using an AGP card, and since I have never made it past POST to
    the setup for BIOS, I assume it should be set to look for an AGP card.

    I have cleared CMOS but this hasnt changed anything.

    I will reboot 5 more times to see if it helps...

    chris, Dec 20, 2003
  4. chris

    Ginchy Guest

    Are you using an ATI card? I couldnt get the 9cjs to boot with an ATI 32mb
    DDR and someone said that there is a problem with ati cards and a lot of
    chaintech boards.....I bought a TI4200 and it worked first time!

    Ginchy, Dec 21, 2003
  5. chris

    chris Guest

    no, its not an ATI, its a jaton geforce. this should be okay, right?

    chris, Dec 21, 2003
  6. chris

    Ginchy Guest

    as long as its a 1.5v card and not a 3.3v then yes it should be but before
    you assume the mb is faulty I would try another card.....I have found many
    cards just wont work with some mb`s for some inexplicable reason!

    Ginchy, Dec 21, 2003
  7. chris

    chris Guest

    My vid card is 1.5v. but i really dont think its the video card or the
    motherboard. i think its the memory, but i'd like to be sure before i
    buy new sticks. my memory is pc2100 ddr which according to the board's
    specs should be fine, but they are generic which makes me suspect
    them. I wish i knew what an 'AF' error actually means. When the memory
    is not in I get an 'E0' error. tech support emailed me and said there
    was no documentation on these error codes and suggested that it was a
    grounding problem...

    chris, Dec 22, 2003
  8. chris

    Ginchy Guest

    I too am using pc2100 memory....what puzzles me is that the clock speed for
    this mem should be 133mhz but on boot up it says "memory clock 266mhz"

    When I go into the bios is gives me AUTO or PC266 but SANDRA confirms that
    my memory clock is too high.

    SANDRA also says that my motherboard is running too hot but I cant find
    anything wrong and cpu and system temps are around 27.

    But the ram seems to work ok........it is cl2.5 but the board sets it at 3
    and if I manually change it to cl2.5 I get BSOD on EXPLORER???

    Ginchy, Dec 22, 2003
  9. chris

    chris Guest

    I bought new memory and guess what... that was the problem. Ginchy and
    Chaintechee thanks for your input. Well at least this chapter of the
    progect is complete. I hope I dont have to trouble you guys any more
    (or tech support for that matter), so im keeping my fingers
    crossed....

    chris, Dec 22, 2003