AGP card upgrade

Discussion in 'ATI' started by wayneP, Oct 7, 2009.

  1. wayneP

    wayneP Guest

    This machine has a Athlon X2 4200 processor on a MSI K8N 939 board and
    running with Vista 32 Ultimate. The machine is adequate for most of my needs
    especially since I'm not a gamer. I do watch a fair amount of HDTV on this
    machine and my current video card (nVidia 6200) only scores 2.3 on the Vista
    check.

    Last Spring I tried to put a Radeon X1650 card in but there was a problem
    using the card with the dual core processor and I don't recall if it was a
    hardware or software issue. I was looking for a new video card because the
    DVI output stopped working with the nVidia card. I didn't track down the
    problem to see if it was the card, the cable or the monitor. Now I'd like to
    upgrade to improve my WMC performance.

    Will the ATI HD 3000 or HD 4000 series AGP cards work in my machine?

    TIA,

    Wayne

    1. Advertising

  2. Ed Light

    Ed Light Guest

    Since you are doing HDTV, one of these might be good:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=False&Order=PRICE

    Note their scores here:

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-radeon-hd4550_6.html

    But note that that is with features active that may not be active at all
    for some players including the flash players.
    --
    Ed Light

    Better World News TV Channel:
    http://realnews.com

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    http://antiwar.com

    Iraq Veterans Against the War:
    http://ivaw.org
    http://couragetoresist.org

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    1. Advertising

  3. wayneP

    wayneP Guest

    Thanx. Ed.

    I already had a 4650 and a 4670 on my Newegg wish list while I look further
    into the problem I had with the X1650 and my dual core Athlon.

    There was something somewhere on the AMD/ATI site last Spring but I can't
    find it now.

    Wayne