AGP upgrade

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Dylan C, Sep 26, 2006.

  1. Dylan C

    Dylan C Guest

    With Windows Vista on the horizon I'm looking at upgrading to a DX9
    video card. Right now I use a GeForce3 Ti200 and I am thinking of
    putting in a GeForce 6xxx. I'd like some input on which cards in this
    series are decent performers. A few months ago I purchased an FX5200 for
    a second machine and was surprised at how poorly it performed compared
    to my Ti200. I'd rather not be similarly surprised when I buy my next card.

    Thanks for the input.

    -Dylan C

    1. Advertising

  2. Dylan C

    Dylan C Guest

    Dylan C wrote:
    > With Windows Vista on the horizon I'm looking at upgrading to a DX9
    > video card. Right now I use a GeForce3 Ti200 and I am thinking of
    > putting in a GeForce 6xxx. I'd like some input on which cards in this
    > series are decent performers. A few months ago I purchased an FX5200 for
    > a second machine and was surprised at how poorly it performed compared
    > to my Ti200. I'd rather not be similarly surprised when I buy my next
    > card.
    >
    > Thanks for the input.
    >
    > -Dylan C

    I'd like to keep the price under $75, meaning that some nVidia 7000
    series cards are in the budget. Any feedback on these?

    -Dylan C

    1. Advertising

  3. Bill

    Bill Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Dylan C wrote:
    > > With Windows Vista on the horizon I'm looking at upgrading to a DX9
    > > video card. Right now I use a GeForce3 Ti200 and I am thinking of
    > > putting in a GeForce 6xxx. I'd like some input on which cards in this
    > > series are decent performers. A few months ago I purchased an FX5200 for
    > > a second machine and was surprised at how poorly it performed compared
    > > to my Ti200. I'd rather not be similarly surprised when I buy my next
    > > card.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the input.
    > >
    > > -Dylan C

    > I'd like to keep the price under $75, meaning that some nVidia 7000
    > series cards are in the budget. Any feedback on these?
    >
    > -Dylan C

    You've seen Nvidia 7XXX AGP cards for under $75.00? Where?

    Bill
    --
    Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

  4. Dylan C

    Dylan C Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    >>Dylan C wrote:
    >>
    >>>With Windows Vista on the horizon I'm looking at upgrading to a DX9
    >>>video card. Right now I use a GeForce3 Ti200 and I am thinking of
    >>>putting in a GeForce 6xxx. I'd like some input on which cards in this
    >>>series are decent performers. A few months ago I purchased an FX5200 for
    >>>a second machine and was surprised at how poorly it performed compared
    >>>to my Ti200. I'd rather not be similarly surprised when I buy my next
    >>>card.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks for the input.
    >>>
    >>>-Dylan C

    >>I'd like to keep the price under $75, meaning that some nVidia 7000
    >>series cards are in the budget. Any feedback on these?
    >>
    >>-Dylan C
    >>

    > You've seen Nvidia 7XXX AGP cards for under $75.00? Where?
    >
    > Bill

    Newegg.com....
    7 cards under $50 and 22 between $50 and $75. Looks like all 7300LE and
    GS models.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...90717&Subcategory=48&description=&srchInDesc=

    -Dylan C

  5. Guest

    Dylan C wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...

    > >>I'd like to keep the price under $75, meaning that some nVidia 7000
    > >>series cards are in the budget. Any feedback on these?
    > >>
    > >>-Dylan C
    > >>

    > > You've seen Nvidia 7XXX AGP cards for under $75.00? Where?
    > >
    > > Bill

    > Newegg.com....
    > 7 cards under $50 and 22 between $50 and $75. Looks like all 7300LE and
    > GS models.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...90717&Subcategory=48&description=&srchInDesc=
    >
    > -Dylan C

    Your not going to be happy with the performance of a $75 AGP card.
    Spend a bit more and get at least a 6600GT (Haven't checked in a while
    but I'm guessing you can get one for little more than $100). You
    didn't say what you intend to do with the card (gaming, basic web
    browsing, etc), so I really can't say how much card you need. Today, I
    can't see buying less than a 6800GS/GT or a 7600 series card if you are
    going to do any DX9 gaming at all.

  6. Zadok

    Zadok Guest

    On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:48:06 -0500, Dylan C <> wrote:

    >With Windows Vista on the horizon I'm looking at upgrading to a DX9
    >video card. Right now I use a GeForce3 Ti200 and I am thinking of
    >putting in a GeForce 6xxx. I'd like some input on which cards in this
    >series are decent performers. A few months ago I purchased an FX5200 for
    >a second machine and was surprised at how poorly it performed compared
    >to my Ti200. I'd rather not be similarly surprised when I buy my next card.
    >
    >Thanks for the input.
    >
    >-Dylan C

    Did you mention what CPU and ram you have? These factors weigh in
    also.

    -- Zadok

  7. Dylan C

    Dylan C Guest

    Zadok wrote:
    > On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 19:48:06 -0500, Dylan C <> wrote:
    >

    >>With Windows Vista on the horizon I'm looking at upgrading to a DX9
    >>video card. Right now I use a GeForce3 Ti200 and I am thinking of
    >>putting in a GeForce 6xxx. I'd like some input on which cards in this
    >>series are decent performers. A few months ago I purchased an FX5200 for
    >>a second machine and was surprised at how poorly it performed compared
    >>to my Ti200. I'd rather not be similarly surprised when I buy my next card.
    >>
    >>Thanks for the input.
    >>
    >>-Dylan C

    > Did you mention what CPU and ram you have? These factors weigh in
    > also.
    >
    > -- Zadok

    I have an X2 3800+ running at 2.4 GHz and currently 512Mb of RAM. I
    plan on adding an additional 1Gb of memory before upgrading the video.

    -Dylan C

  8. Dylan C

    Dylan C Guest

    wrote:
    > Dylan C wrote:
    >
    >>Bill wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <>,
    >>>says...

    >>> You've seen Nvidia 7XXX AGP cards for under $75.00? Where?
    >>>
    >>> Bill

    >>Newegg.com....
    >>7 cards under $50 and 22 between $50 and $75. Looks like all 7300LE and
    >>GS models.
    >>
    >>http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...90717&Subcategory=48&description=&srchInDesc=
    >>
    >>-Dylan C

    > Your not going to be happy with the performance of a $75 AGP card.
    > Spend a bit more and get at least a 6600GT (Haven't checked in a while
    > but I'm guessing you can get one for little more than $100). You
    > didn't say what you intend to do with the card (gaming, basic web
    > browsing, etc), so I really can't say how much card you need. Today, I
    > can't see buying less than a 6800GS/GT or a 7600 series card if you are
    > going to do any DX9 gaming at all.

    Currently, I'm perfectly happy with my Ti200 worth about $10-$20 on
    ebay. I'd like something comparable in performance only with DX9
    capabilities because Windows Vista requires it for Aero. Gaming is
    really not a deciding factor, the machine is basically a desktop rig.

    -Dylan C

  9. Dylan C

    Dylan C Guest

    Dylan C wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...

    >>> I'd like to keep the price under $75, meaning that some nVidia 7000
    >>> series cards are in the budget. Any feedback on these?
    >>>
    >>> -Dylan C
    >>>

    >> You've seen Nvidia 7XXX AGP cards for under $75.00? Where?
    >>
    >> Bill

    > Newegg.com....
    > 7 cards under $50 and 22 between $50 and $75. Looks like all 7300LE and
    > GS models.
    >
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...90717&Subcategory=48&description=&srchInDesc=
    >

    > -Dylan C

    Nevermind...all PCIe....

    -Dylan C

  10. Bill

    Bill Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    <snip>

    > >> You've seen Nvidia 7XXX AGP cards for under $75.00? Where?
    > >>
    > >> Bill

    > > Newegg.com....
    > > 7 cards under $50 and 22 between $50 and $75. Looks like all 7300LE and
    > > GS models.
    > >
    > > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...90717&Subcategory=48&description=&srchInDesc=
    > >

    > > -Dylan C

    > Nevermind...all PCIe....
    >
    > -Dylan C

    Yes, that is what I saw before I asked the question. I thought maybe
    you had seen another source somewhere. That puts you down into the 6xxx
    realm for under $75.00 or raising your budget.

    Bill
    --
    Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

  11. Bill

    Bill Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    <snip>

    > Currently, I'm perfectly happy with my Ti200 worth about $10-$20 on
    > ebay. I'd like something comparable in performance only with DX9
    > capabilities because Windows Vista requires it for Aero. Gaming is
    > really not a deciding factor, the machine is basically a desktop rig.
    >
    > -Dylan C

    I've been trying out Vista since it became a public download.
    Presently testing RC1. Shiny is nice to look at for awhile, but it
    incurred enough of a performnace hit that I eventually turned off Aero.

    And DX10 is causing enough problems with older games < UT4, COD, COD2,
    Quake Arena > that it's going to be a long time until I actually
    purchase Vista if they don't get the bugs worked out.

    My rig: AMD 64 X2 4600 oc to 2.6 GHz, 2GB mem, Nvida 7900 GT, a 1.5
    TB+ of hard drive storage. I figure DX10 and any games that require it
    are a ways off.

    Bill
    --
    Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

  12. Dylan C

    Dylan C Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Currently, I'm perfectly happy with my Ti200 worth about $10-$20 on
    >>ebay. I'd like something comparable in performance only with DX9
    >>capabilities because Windows Vista requires it for Aero. Gaming is
    >>really not a deciding factor, the machine is basically a desktop rig.
    >>
    >>-Dylan C
    >>

    > I've been trying out Vista since it became a public download.
    > Presently testing RC1. Shiny is nice to look at for awhile, but it
    > incurred enough of a performnace hit that I eventually turned off Aero.
    >
    > And DX10 is causing enough problems with older games < UT4, COD, COD2,
    > Quake Arena > that it's going to be a long time until I actually
    > purchase Vista if they don't get the bugs worked out.
    >
    > My rig: AMD 64 X2 4600 oc to 2.6 GHz, 2GB mem, Nvida 7900 GT, a 1.5
    > TB+ of hard drive storage. I figure DX10 and any games that require it
    > are a ways off.
    >
    > Bill

    Thats a pretty robust system to be bogged down by the OS's UI. Does it
    offer any significant functional improvements? If not, a Vista upgrade
    might be postponed indefinitely and an AGP upgrade is unnecessary.

    -Dylan C

  13. Bill

    Bill Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    <snip>
    > Thats a pretty robust system to be bogged down by the OS's UI.

    Not exactly bogged, :) but you can definetly tell it's slower when
    Aero is turned on.

    > Does it
    > offer any significant functional improvements? If not, a Vista upgrade
    > might be postponed indefinitely and an AGP upgrade is unnecessary.

    None that I've seen so far except for the increased security. Nag
    messages pop up when you try to do something that requires
    administrator priveleges. MS took out all the big improvements like the
    new filesystem so they could get it out the door before the end of the
    century.

    You can download RC1 from here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx

    Look towards the bottom third of the page for download instructions.

    You can see if there is anything there you might want to fork out
    hundreds of dollars for < $499 for the Ultimate version I hear >.

    It should run on your system system; it just won't load Aero. You can
    check it yourself for functionality. Load it onto it's own partition as
    a dual boot, don't upgrade your present system. there's no going back
    without reformatting and doing a new reload of XP if you go the upgrade
    path.

    > -Dylan C

    Bill
    --
    Gmail and Google Groups. This century's answer to AOL and WebTV.

  14. Dylan C

    Dylan C Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    >>Thats a pretty robust system to be bogged down by the OS's UI.

    > Not exactly bogged, :) but you can definetly tell it's slower when
    > Aero is turned on.
    >

    >>Does it
    >>offer any significant functional improvements? If not, a Vista upgrade
    >>might be postponed indefinitely and an AGP upgrade is unnecessary.

    > None that I've seen so far except for the increased security. Nag
    > messages pop up when you try to do something that requires
    > administrator priveleges. MS took out all the big improvements like the
    > new filesystem so they could get it out the door before the end of the
    > century.
    >
    > You can download RC1 from here:
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/preview.mspx
    >
    > Look towards the bottom third of the page for download instructions.
    >
    > You can see if there is anything there you might want to fork out
    > hundreds of dollars for < $499 for the Ultimate version I hear >.
    >
    > It should run on your system system; it just won't load Aero. You can
    > check it yourself for functionality. Load it onto it's own partition as
    > a dual boot, don't upgrade your present system. there's no going back
    > without reformatting and doing a new reload of XP if you go the upgrade
    > path.
    >

    >>-Dylan C
    >>

    > Bill

    I've already got both the 64 and 32 bit ISOs with legit key, and I'm
    comfortable with dual boot systems, but I'd rather not go through the
    hassle of installation and running 2 OS's if there is no tangible
    benefit to Vista at this point. THanks for the insight.

    -Dylan C