AGPVideocard vs. Harddisk on Asrock mainboard

Discussion in 'ASRock' started by Alex Schwarzer, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Hi Folks,

    weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
    onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
    be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be corrupt.
    So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I would
    have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
    conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance

    Specs

    Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
    installed
    512 MB
    Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
    HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

    1. Advertising

  2. PB

    PB Guest

    Did you disable the onboard video in the BIOS setup?

    Do you need to make a (* choke *) jumper setting on the motherboard?

    DD

    "Alex Schwarzer" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
    > onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
    > be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be

    corrupt.
    > So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I

    would
    > have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
    > conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
    > Thanks in advance
    >

    > Specs
    >
    > Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
    > installed
    > 512 MB
    > Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
    > HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

    1. Advertising

  3. Dark Avenger

    Dark Avenger Guest

    "Alex Schwarzer" <> wrote in message news:<402b3f11$0$13030$>...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
    > onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
    > be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be corrupt.
    > So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I would
    > have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
    > conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
    > Thanks in advance
    >

    > Specs
    >
    > Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
    > installed
    > 512 MB
    > Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
    > HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

    What is your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) it might not supply enough juice!

  4. "Dark Avenger" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > "4H
    >
    > What is your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) it might not supply enough juice!

    Hi, Avenger,

    I replaced the PSU with no result. the old and the new one supply 300 W. I
    guess thats far enough for 2 HDs, 1 LAN-card and a videocard like a
    oldfashioned Gforce 4 mx 400, which shouldn't be that thirsty. Well I
    finally think I got a mainboard with a major misfunction. alex

  5. "PB" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Did you disable the onboard video in the BIOS setup?
    >
    > Do you need to make a (* choke *) jumper setting on the motherboard?
    >
    > DD

    Yes, I disabled the onboard video; no, theres no jumper setting needed on my
    asrock GPro.

  6. Darthy

    Darthy Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 09:53:50 +0100, "Alex Schwarzer"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >weird problem: everytime I install a AGP-Videocard to replace the weak
    >onboard video chip the system hangs , i.e. after rebooting the HDs seem to
    >be blocked. Windows XP doesn't start at all; some files seem to be corrupt.
    >So if I had not backuped the whole boot partition in an image file I would
    >have to reinstall the whole OS all over again. There is no interrupt
    >conflict as the HDs use 14 +15 while the video card has 11. Any ideas?
    >Thanks in advance
    >

    >Specs
    >
    >Mainboard: Asrock GPro, Bios 1.40; SIS-Drivers for AGP-Port und HDs
    >installed
    >512 MB
    >Gforce 4 MX 400 or Matrox 200
    >HDs Maxtor 6E030L0; SAMSUNG SV1204H

    ASROCK makes piece of shit motherboards... (They are re-packaged
    ECS/PC Chips board sold under the sub of ASUS).

    replace board with something that works.

    $60 buys a KT400 or KT600 mobo...

    When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

    Death to Palladium & WPA!!

  7. Dark Avenger

    Dark Avenger Guest

    "Alex Schwarzer" <> wrote in message news:<402c090b$0$27012$>...
    > "Dark Avenger" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > > "4H
    > >
    > > What is your PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) it might not supply enough juice!

    > Hi, Avenger,
    >
    > I replaced the PSU with no result. the old and the new one supply 300 W. I
    > guess thats far enough for 2 HDs, 1 LAN-card and a videocard like a
    > oldfashioned Gforce 4 mx 400, which shouldn't be that thirsty. Well I
    > finally think I got a mainboard with a major misfunction. alex

    Well even a cheapo 300W should be able to run that, unless ofcourse
    you heavily overclock your processor.

    I guess that it might indeed be your motherboard....