    only thing that 5.6 could do that 6.0 couldn't was support IPv6.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, Jun 12, 2012

  2. Michelle Steiner

    Ed Anson Guest

    On 6/12/12 11:14 AM, Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > Apple has released new versions of Airport Utility for the Mac and for iOS.
    > (6.1 and 5.6.1 for the Mac, and 1.1 for iOS). The major changes are
    > support for the new Airport Express and the addition of IPv6 (except for
    > 5.6.1, which already had it in 5.6) support.
    >
    > Although Airport 5.6 could run on Lion, 5.6.1 cannot; it can run only on
    > Mac OS X 10.5.3 through 10.6.8. But that's no big loss because about the
    > only thing that 5.6 could do that 6.0 couldn't was support IPv6.

    There is something else. When I upgraded to 6.0 awhile back I discovered
    that it doesn't enable the Time Capsule archive function. When I called
    Apple, they told me to revert to 5.6. I wonder if they've restored that
    function in 6.1.
    Ed Anson, Jun 12, 2012

  3. Michelle Steiner

    David Empson Guest

    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > Apple has released new versions of Airport Utility for the Mac and for iOS.
    > (6.1 and 5.6.1 for the Mac, and 1.1 for iOS). The major changes are
    > support for the new Airport Express and the addition of IPv6 (except for
    > 5.6.1, which already had it in 5.6) support.
    >
    > Although Airport 5.6 could run on Lion, 5.6.1 cannot; it can run only on
    > Mac OS X 10.5.3 through 10.6.8. But that's no big loss because about the
    > only thing that 5.6 could do that 6.0 couldn't was support IPv6.

    Hardly. I had a look yesterday at 5.6 and 6.1 side by side, and found a
    lot of features in 5.6 that are still missing in 6.1.

    Without repeating the exercise, off the top of my head 6.1 is still
    missing:

    - RADIUS access control
    - SNMP configuration
    - log access and forwarding
    - detailed view of client connections and signal strengths
    - some more obscure IPv6 settings
    - Bonjour network name configuration (local and global)
    - Use wide channels setting
    - Interference robustness
    - Multicast rate
    - Transmit power

    There were probably a few more.

    If the simultaneous dual-band Airport Express supports any of those
    features, then you cannot configure them on Lion at present, because
    Apple hasn't released a version of Airport Utility for Lion which
    supports this model and those features. The iOS version can't configure
    these features either, so you would have to use a Mac running Leopard or
    Snow Leopard, or a PC running Windows 7.

    I tried installing Airport Utility 5.6.1 on Lion and it refuses. Having
    a look inside the package, it updates a bunch of frameworks so it
    clearly is specific to Snow Leopard and Leopard. Apple would have to
    release a separate build for Lion.

    I've ordered the new Airport Express, so I should be able to have a play
    with it in the next couple of days.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jun 13, 2012
  4. Michelle Steiner

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <1klmicy.trjm0n5vz4eN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > I tried installing Airport Utility 5.6.1 on Lion and it refuses. Having
    > a look inside the package, it updates a bunch of frameworks so it
    > clearly is specific to Snow Leopard and Leopard. Apple would have to
    > release a separate build for Lion.

    I don't know about 5.6.1 but Version 5.6 (560.18) runs just fine under
    Lion on my iMac.

    --
    PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
    of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce
    Tom Stiller, Jun 13, 2012
  5. Michelle Steiner

    David Empson Guest

    Tom Stiller <> wrote:

    > In article <1klmicy.trjm0n5vz4eN%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > I tried installing Airport Utility 5.6.1 on Lion and it refuses. Having
    > > a look inside the package, it updates a bunch of frameworks so it
    > > clearly is specific to Snow Leopard and Leopard. Apple would have to
    > > release a separate build for Lion.

    > I don't know about 5.6.1 but Version 5.6 (560.18) runs just fine under
    > Lion on my iMac.

    And for me, but 5.6 doesn't support the new model of Airport Express
    (simultaneous dual-band 802.11n).

    You need to run 5.6.1 (Leopard, Snow Leopard or Windows 7) or 6.1 (Lion)
    to configure the new Airport Express. 6.1 is missing lots of
    configuration options, so at present it looks like Lion users won't be
    able to configure some features of the new Airport Express, unless all
    those features are actually removed from the device and not configurable
    using 5.6.1 either.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jun 13, 2012
  6. In article <>,
    Tom Stiller <> wrote:

    > I don't know about 5.6.1 but Version 5.6 (560.18) runs just fine under
    > Lion on my iMac.

    5.6.1 will not install on Lion.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, Jun 13, 2012
  7. Michelle Steiner

    Ed Anson Guest

    On 6/12/12 6:09 PM, Ed Anson wrote:
    > On 6/12/12 11:14 AM, Michelle Steiner wrote:
    >> Apple has released new versions of Airport Utility for the Mac and for
    >> iOS.
    >> (6.1 and 5.6.1 for the Mac, and 1.1 for iOS). The major changes are
    >> support for the new Airport Express and the addition of IPv6 (except for
    >> 5.6.1, which already had it in 5.6) support.
    >>
    >> Although Airport 5.6 could run on Lion, 5.6.1 cannot; it can run only on
    >> Mac OS X 10.5.3 through 10.6.8. But that's no big loss because about the
    >> only thing that 5.6 could do that 6.0 couldn't was support IPv6.
    >>

    > There is something else. When I upgraded to 6.0 awhile back I discovered
    > that it doesn't enable the Time Capsule archive function. When I called
    > Apple, they told me to revert to 5.6. I wonder if they've restored that
    > function in 6.1.

    I just checked. The 6.1 update still does NOT support the TC archive
    function. Since that's most of what I use the airport utility for on a
    regular basis, I guess I'm still stuck at 5.6.
    Ed Anson, Jun 13, 2012
  8. Michelle Steiner

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Tom Stiller <> wrote:
    >
    > > I don't know about 5.6.1 but Version 5.6 (560.18) runs just fine under
    > > Lion on my iMac.

    > 5.6.1 will not install on Lion.

    Which is what David Empson said in the quoted section you snipped.

    Tom Stiller, Jun 13, 2012
  9. Michelle Steiner

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article <1klmrox.1klnmyouxb272N%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Tom Stiller <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1klmicy.trjm0n5vz4eN%>,
    > > (David Empson) wrote:
    > >
    > > > I tried installing Airport Utility 5.6.1 on Lion and it refuses. Having
    > > > a look inside the package, it updates a bunch of frameworks so it
    > > > clearly is specific to Snow Leopard and Leopard. Apple would have to
    > > > release a separate build for Lion.

    > > I don't know about 5.6.1 but Version 5.6 (560.18) runs just fine under
    > > Lion on my iMac.

    > And for me, but 5.6 doesn't support the new model of Airport Express
    > (simultaneous dual-band 802.11n).
    >
    > You need to run 5.6.1 (Leopard, Snow Leopard or Windows 7) or 6.1 (Lion)
    > to configure the new Airport Express. 6.1 is missing lots of
    > configuration options, so at present it looks like Lion users won't be
    > able to configure some features of the new Airport Express, unless all
    > those features are actually removed from the device and not configurable
    > using 5.6.1 either.

    So, David, does 5.6.1 keep all the features of 5.6.0 which were in your
    omitted list for 6.1? In other words, if one doesn't plan to buy a new
    Express, is there any reason to upgrade from 5.6.0 to 5.6.1 if you're
    running 10.5/6?

    --
    Republicans' blaming Obama for the national debt are like an arsonist
    blaming the fire department for the fire.
    Fred Moore, Jun 13, 2012
  10. Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > In other words, if one doesn't plan to buy a new
    > Express, is there any reason to upgrade from 5.6.0 to 5.6.1 if you're
    > running 10.5/6?

    You can't upgrade _from_ 5.6 to 5.6.1 because 5.6.1 doesn't run on 10.7
    and 5.6 doesn't run on anything _but_ 10.7. On 10.5 or 10.6, you can
    upgrade from 5.5.3 to 5.6.1 but not to 5.6. On 10.7, you can upgrade
    from 5.5.3 to 5.6 (and/or 6.x) but not to 5.6.1.

    Yes, it's weird. Think different.
    Neill Massello, Jun 13, 2012
  11. Michelle Steiner

    David Empson Guest

    Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > In article <1klmrox.1klnmyouxb272N%>,
    > (David Empson) wrote:
    >
    > > Tom Stiller <> wrote:

    > > > I don't know about 5.6.1 but Version 5.6 (560.18) runs just fine under
    > > > Lion on my iMac.

    > > And for me, but 5.6 doesn't support the new model of Airport Express
    > > (simultaneous dual-band 802.11n).
    > >
    > > You need to run 5.6.1 (Leopard, Snow Leopard or Windows 7) or 6.1 (Lion)
    > > to configure the new Airport Express. 6.1 is missing lots of
    > > configuration options, so at present it looks like Lion users won't be
    > > able to configure some features of the new Airport Express, unless all
    > > those features are actually removed from the device and not configurable
    > > using 5.6.1 either.

    > So, David, does 5.6.1 keep all the features of 5.6.0 which were in your
    > omitted list for 6.1? In other words, if one doesn't plan to buy a new
    > Express, is there any reason to upgrade from 5.6.0 to 5.6.1 if you're
    > running 10.5/6?

    See Neil's reply re the question of which versions run where and whether
    it counts as an "upgrade".

    As for the feature set, I haven't used 5.6.1 in anger yet. A quick play
    with my Airport Extreme (simultaneous dual band) and Airport Express
    (original 802.11n model) and Airport Utility 5.6.1 running on Snow
    Leopard, and it looks like it hasn't dropped any features supported by
    5.5.3 (on Snow Leopard) or 5.6 (on Lion).

    I'd have to plug in my old Airport Extreme (802.11b/g) to try that, and
    I'm not at home right now (VPNs can't do everything).

    The user interface layout is the same between 5.5.3, 5.6 and 5.6.1.

    6.0 and 6.1 (on Lion) are considerably different to the 5.x versions.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jun 14, 2012
  12. Michelle Steiner

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article <1klmqu2.1m3r7sk1cudh8N%>,
    (Neill Massello) wrote:

    > Fred Moore <> wrote:
    >
    > > In other words, if one doesn't plan to buy a new
    > > Express, is there any reason to upgrade from 5.6.0 to 5.6.1 if you're
    > > running 10.5/6?

    > You can't upgrade _from_ 5.6 to 5.6.1 because 5.6.1 doesn't run on 10.7
    > and 5.6 doesn't run on anything _but_ 10.7. On 10.5 or 10.6, you can
    > upgrade from 5.5.3 to 5.6.1 but not to 5.6. On 10.7, you can upgrade
    > from 5.5.3 to 5.6 (and/or 6.x) but not to 5.6.1.
    >
    > Yes, it's weird. Think different.

    Zheesh! Very user friendly and clear as mud, but thanks for the info,
    Neill.
    Fred Moore, Jun 15, 2012
  13. Michelle Steiner

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article <1klod2r.6zwm5j1ukk3l5N%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

    > Fred Moore <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1klmrox.1klnmyouxb272N%>,
    > > (David Empson) wrote:

    > > > And for me, but 5.6 doesn't support the new model of Airport Express
    > > > (simultaneous dual-band 802.11n).
    > > >
    > > > You need to run 5.6.1 (Leopard, Snow Leopard or Windows 7) or 6.1 (Lion)
    > > > to configure the new Airport Express. 6.1 is missing lots of
    > > > configuration options, so at present it looks like Lion users won't be
    > > > able to configure some features of the new Airport Express, unless all
    > > > those features are actually removed from the device and not configurable
    > > > using 5.6.1 either.

    > > So, David, does 5.6.1 keep all the features of 5.6.0 which were in your
    > > omitted list for 6.1? In other words, if one doesn't plan to buy a new
    > > Express, is there any reason to upgrade from 5.6.0 to 5.6.1 if you're
    > > running 10.5/6?

    > See Neil's reply re the question of which versions run where and whether
    > it counts as an "upgrade".
    >
    > As for the feature set, I haven't used 5.6.1 in anger yet. A quick play
    > with my Airport Extreme (simultaneous dual band) and Airport Express
    > (original 802.11n model) and Airport Utility 5.6.1 running on Snow
    > Leopard, and it looks like it hasn't dropped any features supported by
    > 5.5.3 (on Snow Leopard) or 5.6 (on Lion).

    Well, that's good to know. Looks like 5.6.1 will do what I want if I get
    a new Extreme to replace my old Belkin.

    > I'd have to plug in my old Airport Extreme (802.11b/g) to try that, and
    > I'm not at home right now (VPNs can't do everything).
    >
    > The user interface layout is the same between 5.5.3, 5.6 and 5.6.1.
    >
    > 6.0 and 6.1 (on Lion) are considerably different to the 5.x versions.

    Sounds like another 'change for the sake of change' idiocies. Thanks for
    replying David.

    Perfection is no longer perfection if it wasn't spawned 5 seconds ago.
    <grrrrrr>
    Fred Moore, Jun 15, 2012
  14. In article <-september.org>,
    Fred Moore <> wrote:

    > In article <1klmqu2.1m3r7sk1cudh8N%>,
    > (Neill Massello) wrote:
    >
    > > Fred Moore <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > In other words, if one doesn't plan to buy a new
    > > > Express, is there any reason to upgrade from 5.6.0 to 5.6.1 if you're
    > > > running 10.5/6?

    > > You can't upgrade _from_ 5.6 to 5.6.1 because 5.6.1 doesn't run on 10.7
    > > and 5.6 doesn't run on anything _but_ 10.7. On 10.5 or 10.6, you can
    > > upgrade from 5.5.3 to 5.6.1 but not to 5.6. On 10.7, you can upgrade
    > > from 5.5.3 to 5.6 (and/or 6.x) but not to 5.6.1.
    > >
    > > Yes, it's weird. Think different.

    > Zheesh! Very user friendly and clear as mud, but thanks for the info,
    > Neill.

    Actually, I upgraded my Airport from 5.5.3 to 5.6.1 on 10.6.8. It runs
    just fine.

    Michael Vilain, Jun 15, 2012
  15. Michelle Steiner

    David Empson Guest

    Michael Vilain <> wrote:

    > In article <-september.org>,
    > Fred Moore <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <1klmqu2.1m3r7sk1cudh8N%>,
    > > (Neill Massello) wrote:

    > > > You can't upgrade _from_ 5.6 to 5.6.1 because 5.6.1 doesn't run on 10.7
    > > > and 5.6 doesn't run on anything _but_ 10.7. On 10.5 or 10.6, you can
    > > > upgrade from 5.5.3 to 5.6.1 but not to 5.6. On 10.7, you can upgrade
    > > > from 5.5.3 to 5.6 (and/or 6.x) but not to 5.6.1.
    > > >
    > > > Yes, it's weird. Think different.

    > > Zheesh! Very user friendly and clear as mud, but thanks for the info,
    > > Neill.

    > Actually, I upgraded my Airport from 5.5.3 to 5.6.1 on 10.6.8. It runs
    > just fine.

    Yes, but 5.6 didn't work on Snow Leopard, only Lion, and 5.6.1 only
    works on Snow Leopard (and Leopard, and Windows 7) but NOT on Lion.

    This means that Lion users cannot configure many of the advanced
    features of the new Airport Express, since Airport Utility 6.1 doesn't
    let you configure those features, and Aiport Utilit 5.6 doesn't support
    the new Airport Express.

    I now have my Airport Express (2nd generation 802.11n), and can confirm
    that it has the same feature set as the earlier models of Airport
    Express (plus new features relating to simultaneous dual-band wireless
    network configuration, and the ability to configure a guest network).

    Luckily I still have at least one computer running Snow Leopard, so I
    can configure all the features of the new base station.

    Lion not being able to run Airport Utility 5.6.1 is a bug, so I'm off to
    file a bug report with Apple shortly.

    Missing settings I've noticed in Airport Utility 6.1, compared to either
    5.6 (Lion) or 5.6.1 (Snow Leopard):

    - Manage profiles.
    - Identify base station.
    - Add wireless clients by PIN or first attempt.
    - Upload arbitrary firmware version (i.e. downgrade the firmware).
    - View Ethernet and WiFi MAC address.
    - Set Bonjour hostname independently of base station name.
    - Dynamic global host name.
    - Whether to set time automatically and which server to use.
    - Time Zone.
    - Allow setup over Internet using Bonjour. (Does have setup over WAN.)
    - Contact name and location strings.
    - Status light behaviour.
    - Whether to check for firmware updates and how often.
    - WDS mode. (Does have "Extend a wireless network.")
    - For an Airport Extreme, doesn't offer "Join a wireless network" (but
    does for an Airport Express).
    - Allow network to be extended (probably always enabled).
    - Multicast rate.
    - Transmit power.
    - WPA Group Key timeout.
    - Use wide channels.
    - Use interference robustness.
    - Allow guest network clients to communicate with each other.
    - Access control using a RADIUS server.
    - Manual speed/duplex setting for Ethernet WAN port.
    - If IPv6 is enabled with manual configuration in Host/Native mode, WAN
    IPv6 Prefix length.
    - Share disks over Internet using Bonjour (Airport Extreme).
    - Windows File Sharing workgroup and WINS server.
    - Syslog destination address.
    - Syslog level.
    - Allow SNMP.
    - Allow SNMP over WAN.
    - SNMP community string.
    - View and export logs.
    - View wireless clients on a signal strength graph, or detailed
    information for all clients alongside each other.
    - View DHCP clients (with detailed information).

    I don't have a printer plugged into any of my base stations so I can't
    check for missing features there. I also don't have a Time Capsule.

    There appears to be one extra feature in Airport Utilty 6.1, which I
    can't find in 5.6.1:

    - If IPv6 is enabled with manual configuration in Tunnel mode, you can
    configure an IPv6 Delegated Prefix.

    The network graph in 6.x is also nice.

    The iOS version of Airport Utility should have the same feature set as
    6.x for Lion, but I haven't had a detailed look to confirm this. As
    such, it also cannot be used to configure any of the features in the
    above list.

    Not good enough, Apple.
    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jun 16, 2012
  16. Michelle Steiner

    Fred Moore Guest

    In article <1klssgv.1m9p4plhnh2rkN%>,
    (David Empson) wrote:

> [...]

    > - Allow SNMP over WAN.
    > - SNMP community string.
    > - View and export logs.
    > - View wireless clients on a signal strength graph, or detailed
    > information for all clients alongside each other.
    > - View DHCP clients (with detailed information).
    >
    > I don't have a printer plugged into any of my base stations so I can't
    > check for missing features there. I also don't have a Time Capsule.
    >
    > There appears to be one extra feature in Airport Utilty 6.1, which I
    > can't find in 5.6.1:
    >
    > - If IPv6 is enabled with manual configuration in Tunnel mode, you can
    > configure an IPv6 Delegated Prefix.
    >
    > The network graph in 6.x is also nice.
    >
    > The iOS version of Airport Utility should have the same feature set as
    > 6.x for Lion, but I haven't had a detailed look to confirm this. As
    > such, it also cannot be used to configure any of the features in the

    Thanks for the additional detail, David. Much appreciated.

    --
    And It's Just That Easy
    Fred Moore, Jun 16, 2012
  17. Michelle Steiner

    Simon Dobbs Guest

    On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 03:17:19 +0100, David Empson wrote
    (in article <1klmrox.1klnmyouxb272N%>):

    > Tom Stiller <> wrote:
    >
    >> In article <1klmicy.trjm0n5vz4eN%>,
    >> (David Empson) wrote:
    >>
    >>> I tried installing Airport Utility 5.6.1 on Lion and it refuses. Having
    >>> a look inside the package, it updates a bunch of frameworks so it
    >>> clearly is specific to Snow Leopard and Leopard. Apple would have to
    >>> release a separate build for Lion.

    >> I don't know about 5.6.1 but Version 5.6 (560.18) runs just fine under
    >> Lion on my iMac.

    > And for me, but 5.6 doesn't support the new model of Airport Express
    > (simultaneous dual-band 802.11n).
    >
    > You need to run 5.6.1 (Leopard, Snow Leopard or Windows 7) or 6.1 (Lion)
    > to configure the new Airport Express. 6.1 is missing lots of
    > configuration options, so at present it looks like Lion users won't be
    > able to configure some features of the new Airport Express, unless all
    > those features are actually removed from the device and not configurable
    > using 5.6.1 either.

    I have airport utility 6.1. This readily configures simultaneous dual band
    wireless networking on my time capsule.
    I suggest that you look more carefully at the options provided by 6.1.
    Simon Dobbs, Jun 17, 2012
  18. Michelle Steiner

    David Empson Guest

    Simon Dobbs <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Jun 2012 03:17:19 +0100, David Empson wrote
    > (in article <1klmrox.1klnmyouxb272N%>):
    >
    > > Tom Stiller <> wrote:

    > >> I don't know about 5.6.1 but Version 5.6 (560.18) runs just fine under
    > >> Lion on my iMac.

    > > And for me, but 5.6 doesn't support the new model of Airport Express
    > > (simultaneous dual-band 802.11n).
    > >
    > > You need to run 5.6.1 (Leopard, Snow Leopard or Windows 7) or 6.1 (Lion)
    > > to configure the new Airport Express. 6.1 is missing lots of
    > > configuration options, so at present it looks like Lion users won't be
    > > able to configure some features of the new Airport Express, unless all
    > > those features are actually removed from the device and not configurable
    > > using 5.6.1 either.

    > I have airport utility 6.1. This readily configures simultaneous dual band
    > wireless networking on my time capsule.
    > I suggest that you look more carefully at the options provided by 6.1.

    I suggest you read my message more carefully. I said that 6.1 can
    configure the new Airport Express. I also said that 6.1 is missing
    options so it can't configure some features of the new Airport Express.

    I posted a message yesterday listing all of the features of the new
    Airport Express which at present cannot be configured using Lion.

    You need Airport Utility 5.6.1 to configure the advanced features of the
    new Airport Express, and Airport Utility 5.6.1 cannot be installed on
    Lion.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Jun 17, 2012