    buying them, or is there a new AOpen newsgroup?

    Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

    --Brian

    Gazer, Feb 28, 2004

  2. Gazer

    Nystagmus Guest

    "Gazer" <> wrote in message
    news:Vj60c.106533$...
    > Hello,
    > This si my first post to this "newsgroup" and was wondering if the
    > Ak77-600N would be a good purchase. I'm currently using an ancient Tyan
    > S2390B and am long over due for an upgrade.
    >
    > If the Ak77 is an ok mainboard are there any considerations I should be
    > mindful of? I.e., type of vid-card; type, speed and size of DDR ram, etc.

    If you want a stable mainboard AOpen is the way to go. They are known for
    their stability. The AK77-600 series uses the VIA chipset. The VIA chipset
    does not utilize dual memory. (In my opinion dual memory isn't anything to
    write about unless you get off on benchmarking) If you have the extra bucks
    I would get the AK77-600 Max since this is the end of the line for AMD XP
    CPU's and it is the mainboard with all the bells and whistles that one will
    see with the XPs. Getting the AK77-600 Max will extend the life of the
    system you will build. Below are links to 4 reviews for the
    AK77-Max.

    www.legitreviews.com/Reviews/ak77max_1.shtml

    www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1453

    www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/ak77_600_max/

    www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/abit_aopen/

    > There doesn't seem to be many posting to this newsgroup, does this
    > indicate that AOpen mainboards don't have many problems, isn't anyone
    > buying them, or is there a new AOpen newsgroup?

    I can only speak for myself that AOpen is my mainboard of choice these days.
    (I am currently using the AK79G Max and it has been the most stable board I
    have ever built a system around bar none. I am in no hurry to upgrade until
    AMD comes out with their Socket 939 CPU and M$ has an 64-bit OS) But then I
    do not overclock the CPU nor am I a 1st person shooter gamer. The reason
    this newsgroup doesn't have much traffic is because it is usually the
    enthusiasts/gamers who are trying to overclock and are concerned with
    benchmark scores or gamers looking for the most frame rates. This crowd is
    not AOpen's market at the moment.

    > Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

    You're welcome.

    > --Brian

    Nystagmus

    ---

    Nystagmus, Feb 29, 2004

  3. Gazer

    Chris Guest

    "Gazer" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > This si my first post to this "newsgroup" and was wondering if the
    > Ak77-600N would be a good purchase. I'm currently using an ancient Tyan
    > S2390B and am long over due for an upgrade.
    >
    > If the Ak77 is an ok mainboard are there any considerations I should be
    > mindful of? I.e., type of vid-card; type, speed and size of DDR ram, etc.
    >
    > There doesn't seem to be many posting to this newsgroup, does this
    > indicate that AOpen mainboards don't have many problems, isn't anyone
    > buying them, or is there a new AOpen newsgroup?
    >
    > Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.
    >
    > --Brian

    I've built a couple systems with this board, and have no complaints. Like
    the other poster said, AOpen's boards are stable, especially when you couple
    them with quality memory modules. I've been using Crucial and Mushkin
    exclusively in my systems, and have had no issues with either of them. Both
    brand carry a lifetime warranty as well.

    Chris

    Chris, Feb 29, 2004
  4. Gazer

    Anssi Saari Guest

    "Nystagmus" <> writes:

    > If you have the extra bucks I would get the AK77-600 Max...

    Yes, I also like the AK77-600 Max, but where do you get one? I know
    that my local distributor in Finland has had them on order since
    December but haven't gotten any, webstores in Europe don't seem to
    have it either and pricewatch.com also drew a blank.

    Anssi Saari, Feb 29, 2004
  5. Gazer

    Nystagmus Guest

    "Anssi Saari" <> wrote in message
    > "Nystagmus" <> writes:
    >
    > > If you have the extra bucks I would get the AK77-600 Max...

    > Yes, I also like the AK77-600 Max, but where do you get one? I know
    > that my local distributor in Finland has had them on order since
    > December but haven't gotten any, webstores in Europe don't seem to
    > have it either and pricewatch.com also drew a blank.

    The following link is to a seller of the AK77-600 Max. It is in the USA and
    I don't know if they ship to Europe.
    It is currently selling for $121.00 US

    www.myaopen.com/viakt600.html

    Nystagmus

    ---

    Nystagmus, Feb 29, 2004
  6. Gazer

    Gazer Guest

    Nystagmus wrote:
    > "Gazer" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>This si my first post to this "newsgroup" and was wondering if the
    >>Ak77-600N would be a good purchase. I'm currently using an ancient Tyan
    >>S2390B and am long over due for an upgrade.
    >>
    >>If the Ak77 is an ok mainboard are there any considerations I should be
    >>mindful of? I.e., type of vid-card; type, speed and size of DDR ram, etc.

    > If you want a stable mainboard AOpen is the way to go. They are known for
    > their stability. The AK77-600 series uses the VIA chipset. The VIA chipset
    > does not utilize dual memory. (In my opinion dual memory isn't anything to
    > write about unless you get off on benchmarking) If you have the extra bucks
    > I would get the AK77-600 Max since this is the end of the line for AMD XP
    > CPU's and it is the mainboard with all the bells and whistles that one will
    > see with the XPs. Getting the AK77-600 Max will extend the life of the
    > system you will build. Below are links to 4 reviews for the
    > AK77-Max.
    >
    > www.legitreviews.com/Reviews/ak77max_1.shtml
    >
    > www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1453
    >
    > www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/ak77_600_max/
    >
    > www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/abit_aopen/
    >

    >>There doesn't seem to be many posting to this newsgroup, does this
    >>indicate that AOpen mainboards don't have many problems, isn't anyone
    >>buying them, or is there a new AOpen newsgroup?

    > I can only speak for myself that AOpen is my mainboard of choice these days.
    > (I am currently using the AK79G Max and it has been the most stable board I
    > have ever built a system around bar none. I am in no hurry to upgrade until
    > AMD comes out with their Socket 939 CPU and M$ has an 64-bit OS) But then I
    > do not overclock the CPU nor am I a 1st person shooter gamer. The reason
    > this newsgroup doesn't have much traffic is because it is usually the
    > enthusiasts/gamers who are trying to overclock and are concerned with
    > benchmark scores or gamers looking for the most frame rates. This crowd is
    > not AOpen's market at the moment.
    >

    >>Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

    > You're welcome.
    >
    >>--Brian

    > Nystagmus
    >

    > ---

    Thanks again to all those that replied. The reviews helped me to make
    the final decision. While my local distributor sells the plain Ak-77
    I'll see if the "Max" board can be made available. I'm a hard core
    gamer, but I'm looking more for mainboard stability than speed and
    oc'ing. I like a mainboard that works right out of the box and isn't
    picky about what's connected to it. Tyan filled this bill in the past,
    but it seems their boards are more server oriented than "every day
    common user". Tyan boards can't be OC'ed and for me "now" it would be
    good to have the option available.
    My local distributor sells other mainboards of course but AOpen is their
    mainboard of choice. I'm about to make it mine!
    Thanks ever so much.

    -Brian

    Gazer, Mar 2, 2004
  7. Gazer

    Nystagmus Guest

    "Gazer" <> wrote in message
> [...]

    > > You're welcome.
    > >
    > >>--Brian

    > > Nystagmus
    > >

    > > ---
    > >

    > Thanks again to all those that replied. The reviews helped me to make
    > the final decision. While my local distributor sells the plain Ak-77
    > I'll see if the "Max" board can be made available. I'm a hard core
    > gamer, but I'm looking more for mainboard stability than speed and
    > oc'ing. I like a mainboard that works right out of the box and isn't
    > picky about what's connected to it. Tyan filled this bill in the past,
    > but it seems their boards are more server oriented than "every day
    > common user". Tyan boards can't be OC'ed and for me "now" it would be
    > good to have the option available.
    > My local distributor sells other mainboards of course but AOpen is their
    > mainboard of choice. I'm about to make it mine!

    Brian,

    The following link sells the aopen for $121 US.

    Nystagmus, Mar 2, 2004
  8. I thought Abit and even more Asus were known for their stability?

    http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/abit_aopen/8.shtml

    "The power circuitry (VRM) is one example where ABIT is clearly ahead in the
    game, likewise, the AC'97 support is, at least in theory, miles ahead of the
    AOpen counterpart, not only with respect to number of voices but also with
    its 5 I/O jacks that allow configuring the system for 5.1 surround sound AND
    recording without having to reconfigure everything whenever the application
    requires it."

    Nystagmus, do you work for AOpen?

    Arnfinn Haraldsen, Mar 3, 2004
  9. "Gazer" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > This si my first post to this "newsgroup" and was wondering if the
    > Ak77-600N would be a good purchase. I'm currently using an ancient Tyan
    > S2390B and am long over due for an upgrade.
    >
    > If the Ak77 is an ok mainboard are there any considerations I should be
    > mindful of? I.e., type of vid-card; type, speed and size of DDR ram, etc.
    >
    > There doesn't seem to be many posting to this newsgroup, does this
    > indicate that AOpen mainboards don't have many problems, isn't anyone
    > buying them, or is there a new AOpen newsgroup?

    Hello!

    Wait for upgrade until the Socket 939 AThlon 64 is available. It has two
    memory controllers in the CPU so we finally get "Dual channel DDR"
    performance from these Dual DDR module RAM packs that are so popular.

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1884&p=10

    The memory bandwidth is almost 6GB/s and the latency is super-low, which
    means program switching and windows are much more responsive!

    when programs go 64-bit you get nice performance boost too:

    http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1884&p=17

    The current Athlon 64 mainstream boards are socket 754 and only have one
    memory controller, no Dual DDR action.

    Arnfinn Haraldsen, Mar 3, 2004
  10. Gazer

    Nystagmus Guest

    "Arnfinn Haraldsen" <> wrote in message
    > I thought Abit and even more Asus were known for their stability?
    >
    > http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/abit_aopen/8.shtml
    >
    > "The power circuitry (VRM) is one example where ABIT is clearly ahead in

    the
    > game, likewise, the AC'97 support is, at least in theory, miles ahead of

    the
    > AOpen counterpart, not only with respect to number of voices but also with
    > its 5 I/O jacks that allow configuring the system for 5.1 surround sound

    AND
    > recording without having to reconfigure everything whenever the

    application
    > requires it."
    >
    > Nystagmus, do you work for AOpen?

    No, I do not work for AOpen. I can only speak from personnal experience and
    my experience is that AOpen of all the mainboards I have used to build
    systems have given me the least amount of headaches. From the link you
    provided above let me state that the heading from which you give an example
    of Abit's KV7superior AC'97 audio quality is "Subjective Listening Quality."
    Subjective. As are my opinions. I am not a learned person in all things
    computers. I am self taught.

    Futher on in the review in the Conclusion section it states, "For the normal
    home user with some hardware knowledge the logical choice in my opinion
    would be the AK-77 600 Max for its nicer layout and plentiful features. ABIT
    is not far behind..."

    In the Ed. Comments the reviewer states, "...the AOpen AK77-600 MAX appears
    more rounded."

    When someone uses wording like, "in my opinion" and it "appears" you know
    the reviewer is making a subjective review and subjective review are not
    normally based on factual information.

    Nystagmus

    > > If you want a stable mainboard AOpen is the way to go. They are known

    for
    > > their stability. The AK77-600 series uses the VIA chipset. The VIA

    > chipset
    > > does not utilize dual memory. (In my opinion dual memory isn't anything

    > > write about unless you get off on benchmarking) If you have the extra

    > bucks
    > > I would get the AK77-600 Max since this is the end of the line for AMD

    XP
    > > CPU's and it is the mainboard with all the bells and whistles that one

    > will
    > > see with the XPs. Getting the AK77-600 Max will extend the life of the
    > > system you will build. Below are links to 4 reviews for the
    > > AK77-Max.
    > >
    > > www.legitreviews.com/Reviews/ak77max_1.shtml
    > >
    > > www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1453
    > >
    > > www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/ak77_600_max/
    > >
    > > www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/abit_aopen/
    > >

    > > > There doesn't seem to be many posting to this newsgroup, does this
    > > > indicate that AOpen mainboards don't have many problems, isn't anyone
    > > > buying them, or is there a new AOpen newsgroup?

    > > I can only speak for myself that AOpen is my mainboard of choice these

    > days.
    > > (I am currently using the AK79G Max and it has been the most stable

    board
    > > have ever built a system around bar none. I am in no hurry to upgrade

    > until
    > > AMD comes out with their Socket 939 CPU and M$ has an 64-bit OS) But

    then
    > > do not overclock the CPU nor am I a 1st person shooter gamer. The

    reason
    > > this newsgroup doesn't have much traffic is because it is usually the
    > > enthusiasts/gamers who are trying to overclock and are concerned with
    > > benchmark scores or gamers looking for the most frame rates. This crowd

    > is
    > > not AOpen's market at the moment.
    > >

    > > > Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

    > > You're welcome.
    > > >
    > > > --Brian

    > > Nystagmus
    > >

    > > ---

    ---

    Nystagmus, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Gazer

    Anssi Saari Guest

    "Arnfinn Haraldsen" <> writes:

    > I thought Abit and even more Asus were known for their stability?

    Sure.

    > http://www.lostcircuits.com/motherboard/abit_aopen/8.shtml
    >

    > "The power circuitry (VRM) is one example where ABIT is clearly ahead in the
    > game, likewise, the AC'97 support is, at least in theory, miles ahead of the
    > AOpen counterpart, not only with respect to number of voices but also with
    > its 5 I/O jacks that allow configuring the system for 5.1 surround sound AND
    > recording without having to reconfigure everything whenever the application
    > requires it."

    Well, the sound bit is clearly a matter of preference. I for one don't
    want a bunch of connectors for multichannel analog sound as I expect
    to connect my computer to my amplifier digitally. And that's where
    Aopen is ahead, as it ships with S/PDIF connectors, optical and coax,
    in and out. I also like the three PATA connectors.

    As for the power, they certainly didn't do any measurements, so they
    don't really know if the Abit's three phase solution is actually any
    better than Aopen's two phase.

    However, Abit and Asus and Soyo also have interesting kt600
    motherboards. Not that there's that much choice if you want mounting
    holes for your HSF.

    But thanks for the link, found another reseller for Aopen, mwave.com.

    Anssi Saari, Mar 5, 2004