    Is there a better board for similar money?

    Difficult to find a review of this board, so hard to tell if it's a dog...

    TIA!
    Bob H, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Bob H

    Michael H. Guest

    Bob, I just bought one last week and am saving up $$ for a Barton 2500. I
    have a Tbred 2000 but think it best to just wait two weeks and drop the
    Barton in rather than swap out the 2000. The Asus website reports on the
    overclocking of each board and they were able to get 200 FSB easily and
    stable out of the AK79G and Max boards, so since this board is based on the
    same chipset and components, I would expect no less. Check back with me
    shortly as I am currently modding my case and will post results on my
    website.

    Michael H., Sep 30, 2003

  3. Bob H

    Bob H Guest

    Will watch for your posts!

    Bob H, Sep 30, 2003
  4. Bob H

    Michael H. Guest

    Bob,
    I totally agree on the lack of reviews. I bought mine from Newegg for
    $71 (A.R.) and had read several good things on the board based on the few
    reviews found there. Once again, it was nowhere near the dearth of info
    available for the Epox 8RDA+ or the Aopen AK79G Max but I felt that it was
    the best board for the money. Shortcomings, and I will first mention that I
    have not even BOOTED mine up yet, but would appreciate a fourth memory slot
    simply because more is better, especially if you plan on running your memory
    at dual data rate. My PC buddies purchased Epox 8RDA boards but by the time
    I had some leftover $, they were completely gone at Newegg and I can find no
    (reliable) vendors selling them for near the price I paid for my Aopen.
    Reviews indicate the overclocking utility included on the system CD is
    rather poorly done, as are several of the utilities on the CD. For a
    tweaker, I am less concerned with this as I can surely find useable
    substitutes elsewhere. Otherwise, its an nForce 2 Ultra .. you can't go
    wrong there.

    Michael H., Sep 30, 2003
  5. Bob H

    Michael H. Guest

    Bob,
    Here's the link to the Aopen site I found in the newest PC World mag. I
    created a new post for it since I didn't find anything relating to
    overclocking searching the NG.

    http://www.aopen.com/tech/report/overclk/default_mb.htm

    My plan is to pick up a Barton 2500 and hope to run it at 200x11. My biggest
    doubt is my RAM which is Samsung DDR2700 which is spec'd for 166, but may
    have some problems at 200. One way to find out though ! I should be OK on
    the cooling side of things with a Thermaltake Volcano 7+ HSF and a Tt 120mm
    rear exhaust fan.
    Michael H., Sep 30, 2003