    Mines gone very noisy now and again

    whats the chances of it working without it ?

    or any tips appreciated

    mar, Apr 27, 2007

  2. mar

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:05:35 +0100, mar wrote:

    > Mines gone very noisy now and again
    >
    > whats the chances of it working without it ?
    >
    > or any tips appreciated

    Take the fan off. Peel the label off covering the bearing access plug and
    remove plug. Put in small drop of lightweight oil and rotate fan to lube.
    Put back together and use for another 5+ years.

    Wes Newell, Apr 27, 2007

  3. Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:05:35 +0100, mar wrote:
    >

    >> Mines gone very noisy now and again
    >>
    >> whats the chances of it working without it ?
    >>
    >> or any tips appreciated

    > Take the fan off. Peel the label off covering the bearing access plug
    > and remove plug. Put in small drop of lightweight oil and rotate fan
    > to lube. Put back together and use for another 5+ years.

    It hasn't been that easy for me. On my NF7-S, I had to take it somewhat
    apart and force grease into it, hoping it would slow it down somewhat and
    make it quieter, while time would tend to thin out the grease as it
    distributed itself. It got so gunky I had to WD40 it then reapply until I
    got just the right distribution. What a pain. My new Gigabyte doesn't have
    a NB fan, thank goodness.
    --
    Phil

    Phil, Non-Squid, Apr 28, 2007
  4. mar

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 01:55:57 -0400, Phil, Non-Squid wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >> On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 22:05:35 +0100, mar wrote:
    >>

    >>> Mines gone very noisy now and again
    >>>
    >>> whats the chances of it working without it ?
    >>>
    >>> or any tips appreciated

    >> Take the fan off. Peel the label off covering the bearing access plug
    >> and remove plug. Put in small drop of lightweight oil and rotate fan
    >> to lube. Put back together and use for another 5+ years.

    > It hasn't been that easy for me. On my NF7-S, I had to take it somewhat
    > apart and force grease into it, hoping it would slow it down somewhat and
    > make it quieter, while time would tend to thin out the grease as it
    > distributed itself. It got so gunky I had to WD40 it then reapply until I
    > got just the right distribution. What a pain. My new Gigabyte doesn't have
    > a NB fan, thank goodness.

    Well what did you expect using grease? That's why I said a lightweight
    oil, not grease.:) Sewing machine oil, fishing reel oil, or brake fluid
    work great. I've also used 3in1 oil, but it's a little thick. And 1 drop
    off the end of a toothpick is more than enough. I had fans completely
    locked up that I had to work the blades manaully after putting the oil in
    before they would even start on thier own. Run with the bearing facing up
    til you're certain the it's fully lubricated before reinstalling if you
    have one stuck like this.

    Wes Newell, Apr 28, 2007
  5. Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 01:55:57 -0400, Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
    >
    >> Wes Newell wrote:

    >>> Take the fan off. Peel the label off covering the bearing access
    >>> plug and remove plug. Put in small drop of lightweight oil and
    >>> rotate fan to lube. Put back together and use for another 5+ years.

    >> It hasn't been that easy for me. On my NF7-S, I had to take it
    >> somewhat apart and force grease into it, hoping it would slow it
    >> down somewhat and make it quieter, while time would tend to thin out
    >> the grease as it distributed itself. It got so gunky I had to WD40
    >> it then reapply until I got just the right distribution. What a
    >> pain. My new Gigabyte doesn't have a NB fan, thank goodness.

    > Well what did you expect using grease? That's why I said a lightweight
    > oil, not grease.:) Sewing machine oil, fishing reel oil, or brake
    > fluid work great. I've also used 3in1 oil, but it's a little thick.

    Each one of those were ineffective when I tried them prior to resorting to
    grease. My guess is that the bearings were gone, or I'm hypersensitive to
    noise, and I needed something a little stronger.

    > And 1 drop off the end of a toothpick is more than enough. I had fans
    > completely locked up that I had to work the blades manaully after
    > putting the oil in before they would even start on thier own. Run
    > with the bearing facing up til you're certain the it's fully
    > lubricated before reinstalling if you have one stuck like this.

    Forcing the grease, letting it distribute through use, then wiping it clean
    silenced it enough for my satisfaction.

    --
    Phil

    Phil, Non-Squid, Apr 28, 2007
  6. mar

    lkboop Guest

    mar wrote:
    > Mines gone very noisy now and again
    >
    > whats the chances of it working without it ?
    >
    > or any tips appreciated

    No it's just there for decoration-DA

    lkboop, Apr 30, 2007