alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell FAQ (it's been a while)

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by wantenes@gmail.com, Nov 8, 2005.

  1. Guest

    1. Table of Contents
    2. Introduction and Intent
    3. Spamming and Netiquette
    4. How to ID your MOBO
    4.1. BIOS string
    4.2. FCCID#
    4.3. SYSCRED.EXE
    4.4. System Configuration Lookup
    5. Drivers for PB devices
    6. Links
    6.1 Offical PB websites
    6.2 PB user websites
    6.3 Driver websites
    6.4 Related Links
    6.5 Anti-spam & netiquette websites
    7. Abbreviations used
    8. Thank yous

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 2. Introduction and Intent

    DISCLAIMER: ADVICE ON THIS NG IS FREELY GIVEN.
    THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT IT WILL WORK.
    USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

    The intent of this un-official FAQ is to give you, the frustrated PB
    user, a few guidelines to use when posting to this NG. These
    suggestions give here are not set in stone, but are only used to assist
    you in getting the fastest, and best answers to your questions about PB
    computers. If you feel there needs to be some additions to this FAQ,
    please contact me by replying to this post. Any and all suggestions are
    welcome.

    This NG is for assistance with Packard Bell Computers, not NEC. The two
    companies, although now merged, did not now, nor did they in the past,
    use the same parts or motherboards. If you have an NEC advice will be
    very limited. I would suggest looking for other sources for help with
    NEC computers.

    When posting to this NG it may be extremely helpful, to those who
    respond to your question, to know what MOBO you have. PB came out with
    several different models of computers, and it is impossible to know
    what is in a system by just a model number and/or name. The best way to
    ID a system, and get accurate info about it, is to find out what MOBO
    it uses.

    No one here gets paid for the advice they give. No one here is employed
    by PB (as far as I know); we are only here to help out our fellow PB
    users. Now that PB is defunct in the North America, the following info
    will apply mostly to users in North America. But, it is intended to
    help out PB users around the world.

    Please read through the whole FAQ before posting, it will make your
    experience here much better. Also check out the websites in the LINKS
    section; you may find your answer there.

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 3. Spamming and Netiquette

    This NG is not a moderated news group, but spamming will not be
    tolerated here. If you do spam here, someone will find you, and have
    your Internet service terminated. A couple of the regulars here take
    joy in having someone's Internet access revoked because of spamming.

    It has been reported that we have an email grabber on this NG. Someone
    that likes to coax a person into an off group conversation (email), and
    then uses that email address to send spam or adds it to spam lists.
    Replying to the newsgroup is desired, it may benefit others. Be wary of
    any requests for email answers.

    Selling of any computer service or parts is not tolerated due to this
    being a non-sales news group. Again, someone may track you down, and
    you could loose your Internet access.

    If posting something that is off topic, please put OT: in the beginning
    of you subject line. Although posting off topic is discouraged, it is
    sometimes a necessary evil.

    DO NOT post binary attachments (ie: pictures) to this NG. This is not
    a binary NG. If you feel it will help someone to "see" your problem
    (ie: screen shots), then upload file somewhere and post a link to that
    file. Most ISPs will give you some free FTP space, or you can use many
    of the "build-your-own-website" sites that are out there.

    NOTE: see the Anti-spam & Netiquette websites section for more info on
    spam and netiquette.

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 4 How to ID your MOBO

    4.1. The first way is determined by the BIOS string (BIOS version)
    displayed when the computer goes through its initial startup or POST.
    IF you then post you BIOS string to this NG, someone is sure to point
    you in the right direction.

    BIOS string examples:
    AMI 1.00.nn.xxxR
    Phoenix 4A3NT0X0.86A.0062.P06
    Award (format varies)
    Packard Bell Bios x.xx

    4.2. The second to ID a MOBO would be to look at the FCCID#, but I have
    seen 1 case where this did not give the correct MOBO model. Anyway,
    embedded in the FCC ID# is a series of 3 numbers that will tell you
    what MOBO you have.

    Example:FCC ID#: FOD680PT (click for EXAMPLE)
    This would designate it as a system with a 680 MOBO.

    4.3. Another way to find out what MOBO you have is to use the
    SYSCRED.EXE program that may be on your system already, or possibly on
    your PB Master Restore CD. To do this, first locate the SYSCRED>EXE
    program either on your hard drive, or on you PB Master Restore CD. Then
    just double click it to run, and it will tell you info about your
    system. (click for EXAMPLE)

    4.4. The finally way to find out what your system originally came with
    is to use Priority One's (see link section) System Configuration Lookup
    Utility. You will have to register to be able to use the system, and
    use the FREE access registration. Then the System Lookup Configuration
    Utility can be found in the Packard Bell driver section. This lookup
    tool is for North American systems only. Sometimes it will not find
    any information about your system, it's kinda hit n' miss.

    Again, if asking a question on the NG, put as much info as you can in
    the post. And the most important, besides your question, is usually
    what MOBO you have. If you don't know what MOBO you have, post the BIOS
    string and/or FCC ID# with your question, and someone in the group
    should be able to figure it out.

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 5 Drivers for PB devices

    If you need drivers for your PB systems, the device that you need the
    driver for must be correctly IDed. PB came out with hundreds of
    hardware configurations, and similar to IDing a MOBO, it is impossible
    to know what devices are in a PB system by model of PB you have. But
    there are ways to ID a device in a computer.

    The first way to id a device is in the DEVICE MANAGER, which can be
    accessed by START>>CONTROL PANNEL>>SYSTEMS and then clicking on the
    DEVICE MANAGER tab. Then scroll through and find the device in
    question. This is sometime inaccurate, as Windows may not have
    installed the correct drive when Windows was first setup.

    A second way to ID a device would be to open the case and actual look
    at the card. Look for the manufacture, model #, or chipset. Then go to
    the manufacture's website, or any driver website (see LINKS section),
    and see if you can find what you need there.

    You can also use the FCC ID# to find out who made your device. Just
    enter the number on the FCC's ID# search page (see LINKS section), and
    you will find out who made your device.

    NOTE: When using the FCC ID# and web page to find out who made your
    device, make sure you are using the FCC ID# and not the FCC
    Registration Number (see LINKS section).

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 6. Links

    6.1. Offical PB websites

    http://www.priorityonesupport.com
    Official Support site for PB in North America
    Requires FREE regestration to get to usefull things on the site

    http://www.packardbell.com
    Official World Support site for PB

    6.2 PB user websites
    NOTE: These sites may be "DOWN" from time to time. IF they are, just
    try them at another time.

    http://www.geocities.com/anotherpackardbellsite
    http://mywebpage.netscape.com/_ht_a/velix/packardbell.htm (mirror)
    Velix's PB website

    http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/8774/
    Ray's PB website

    http://www.geocities.com/paul21_56304/index.html
    Paul's PB boot disk/Restore CD website

    6.3. Driver websites
    Note: You can also find drivers at the official PB websites.

    http://www.driversearch.com/sites.php
    A searchable driver website

    http://driverguide.com/
    Another driver website
    Username: drivers
    Password: all

    6.4. Related links

    http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/
    FCC ID lookup page to find a manufacturer via the FCC ID#

    http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/help.html
    Help page for FCC ID

    http://microsoft.com
    Microsoft's website

    http://www.wimsbios.com/
    Wim's BIOS page for info on various BIOS types

    6.5. Anti-Spam &Netiquette Websites

    http://www.my-newsgroups.com/SiteMap/netiquette.htm
    Usenet Netiquette beginners guide

    http://mail-abuse.org/rbl/notifyfaq.html
    SPAM: What to report, how to report, where to report.

    http://spamcop.net/
    Spam Cop's original spam reporting service will help you report spam
    quickly and accurately. Or choose from a variety of filtering options
    ranging from the easiest web-mail account to advanced network-wide spam
    blocking.

    http://spam.abuse.net/
    Lots of info, one of the best anti-spam sites on the net.

    http://www.cauce.org/
    Coalition Against Unwanted Commercial E-mail

    http://www.turnstep.com/Spambot/
    Here you will find information on how to avoid, detect, and harass Spam
    bots. Spam bots are programs that extract email addresses from web
    pages, which are then used as targets for spam.

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 7. Abbreviations used

    AMI=American Megatrends
    BIOS=Basic Input Output System
    FAQ=Frequently Asked Questions
    FCC=Federal Communication Commission
    MOBO=Mother Board
    NG= News Group (ALT.SYS.PC-CLONE.PACKARDBELL)
    PB=Packard Bell
    POST=Power On Self Test

    ------------------------------

    Subject: 8. Thank yous

    First off, I would like to thank the old timers here (Elector, Ben, KC,
    Metronid, Simon, and Velix). I believe I got my first taste of this NG
    when trying to get a proper driver for my PB 1412SL monitor, so it
    would work in 800x600 mode without having to use the vertical height
    knob to adjust it to the proper screen size. To this day I still have
    not gotten this damn monitor working properly. Hence you may not find
    the answer you need here all the time.

    I would also like to thank a lot of "newbies" that have popped up over
    the last year or so. Without you, this group would get stale, and
    eventually die out. You give a fresh perspective, and it is greatly
    appreciated.

    , Nov 8, 2005