AM37L motherboard

Discussion in 'FIC' started by Andrew, Feb 17, 2004.

  1. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hi. I am having a problem with the AM37L motherboard, a board
    exclusive to eMachines, particularly the W2040 model.

    I'm trying to install a new video card. It's a Radeon 9600 XT 256MB
    from GeCube (Tiwanese company like FIC).

    I shut the computer off, put it in, put the moniter cable in it, and
    boot it up. Windows found the new hardware and wanted to install it
    for me, I closed it out and ran the Setup from the CD. When that was
    done, I restarted, came back, and it told me that the ATI Control
    Panel cannot start up because there is either a problem with the
    driver or the driver isn't installed. I run Device Manager and it
    shows exclamation marks on both USB and ATI Radeon 9600 Series
    devices. I see what the problem is and they both say

    ---

    This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code
    12)

    If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the
    other devices on this system.

    Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

    ---

    So I run troubleshooting on ATI Radeon.

    ---

    Are you having problems using this device?
    If a resource being used by a particular device conflicts with a
    resource reserved by your computer, the conflict most likely will not
    cause problems. If you are not having any other problem using your
    device, you can probably ignore this resource conflict.

    Are you having a problem using this device?

    ---

    So I close out, try to run a game, and it tells me that it can't
    initialize a shader thingy. I close out, go back to the trouble
    shooter and chose

    Yes, I am having a problem using this device and want to resolve the
    conflict.

    ---

    Is your device installed more than once?

    ---

    Well I do see 2 Radeon's installed. One is 9600 Series and the other
    is 9600 Series Secondary, which I assumed is the CRT, which has no
    exclamation mark by the way. I try uninstalling the drivers,
    rebooting, reinstalling, again ignoring Windows, restart, and I get
    deja vu.

    So no, I still have a resource conflict. Or, my device was installed
    only once.

    ---

    Configure one or more devices to use different resources.

    If two devices are configured to use the same resource, and one of
    them shows Error Code 12, configure one or both of the devices to use
    different resources.

    Note that it is normal for devices to share resources on your
    computer, and this does not usually cause a problem. You should only
    change the resource settings if you receive Error Code 12 for one of
    the devices that is sharing the resource.

    To find out which resources your device is sharing

    Open Device Manager.
    If the category for your device is not expanded, double-click the
    category.
    Under the category for your device, click the device with which you
    are having trouble.
    On the View menu, click Resources by type.
    Double-click the resource types to see which resources are being used
    by which devices. If the device with which you are having trouble is
    sharing a resource setting with another device, try configuring one of
    the devices to use a different resource.
    Note

    To open Device Manager, click Start, click Control Panel, click
    Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. In the System
    Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device
    Manager.
    To configure a device to use a different resource
    While you are in the Resources by type view, double-click the device
    for which you want to change resource settings.
    On the Resources tab, under Resource type, click the entry that
    conflicts with another device.
    Clear the Use automatic settings check box, and then click a different
    configuration in the Setting based on list.
    Click Change Setting.
    Scroll through the available Value settings, checking Conflict
    information as you select each one.
    If you find a setting that does not conflict with one of your other
    devices, click OK, and then restart your computer.

    If all settings conflict with other devices, click Cancel to close the
    dialog box, answer No to the question at the bottom of this page, and
    then click Next.
    Note

    Depending on the type of hardware you have, you might need to change
    the jumper settings on your card to match the new resource setting or
    run a configuration utility provided by the hardware manufacturer.

    If the jumper settings on your card are not set appropriately, your
    hardware will not work, even if you resolve the conflict correctly.

    If you make changes to your jumpers or make any other physical changes
    to your hardware, make sure that you turn your computer off first. For
    more information, consult your device documentation or contact the
    manufacturer.

    Note

    To open Device Manager, click Start, click Control Panel, click
    Performance and Maintenance, and then click System. In the System
    Properties dialog box, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device
    Manager.

    Does reconfiguring one or more devices resolve the hardware conflict?

    ---

    I try and do this, but low-and-behold I can't change anything in the
    Resources tab because it says

    ---

    This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use.

    If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the
    other devices on this system.

    ---

    So no, I still have a hardware conflict.

    ---

    Turn off one of the conflicting devices.

    Well, I really don't want to do this since I'm using 4 USB devices,
    but I try anyway. I uninstall the USB, restart, my USB mouse still
    works (the only thing plugged in at the time), go back, USB says it
    has an unknown driver. Radeon 9600 still has conflict resource.

    ---

    I look around GeCube's (card manufacturer) site, Windows Support site,
    ATI's site, can't find anything relevant to my situation. I go ask
    eMachine's live technical support.

    They tell me that I have to take the card out, restart it in Safe
    Mode, Disable the onboard video via Device Manager, and reboot with
    the card in. I go and do this but when I go and disable the video, it
    seems like nothing happened. It doesn't even prompt me to restart. I
    go ahead and restart, put the card back in, still unable to start ATI
    Control Panel and Radeon 9600 Series still has the same error.

    The troubleshooter after the last one is

    ---

    This troubleshooter is unable to solve your problem.
    You have run into a problem that this troubleshooter cannot help you
    solve. For additional Windows resources, click Start, point to All
    Programs, and then click Windows Update.

    ---

    Gee, thanks for all your help Windows.

    eMachines mentioned that the motherboard number is AM37L. I checked
    NIC's site for a firmware upgrade and it wasn't even listed. I found
    this thread

    http://forums.viaarena.com/messageview.cfm?catid=24&threadid=49924

    And they seem to be having the same problem as me.

    What would you suggest I do?

    Andrew, Feb 17, 2004

  2. What was your old graphics card, out of curiosity? Did you try
    uninstalling its graphics drivers through Add/Remove Programs before
    installing the Radeon? It could be remnants of the old graphics driver
    are interfering with the Radeon.

    You may also try updating the VIA "Hyperion" chipset drivers. It could be
    there are some AGP related conflicts that are resolved with newer
    drivers. You can get them here:

    http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=300

    --Alex

    Alex Zorrilla, Feb 18, 2004